Red Dragon Cartel (Jake E. Lee) - s/t

Stefan

84000fece6d683f233e829e6aeae04f0.png

The single 'Deceived' sounds alot like 'Bark At The Moon' in places. Good music but the vocals pretty much stinks.

Out on Frontiers Records January 24th.

From Frontiers Records website:

After a self-imposed exile from the music industry and the public eye, noted guitarist Jake E. Lee (Ozzy Osbourne, Badlands) is returning to the fold with a new band, RED DRAGON CARTEL. The band came about when old friend Ronnie Mancuso helped to coax Jake out of retirement. Ronnie, noted session guitarist/bassist, composer and producer for Beggars & Thieves, was sharing a studio space, “The Hideout” in Las Vegas with super hot producer, engineer and mixer Kevin Churko (Ozzy Osbourne, Five Finger Death Punch, Rob Zombie, Hinder, In This Moment). Ronnie and Kevin started talking with Jake, then slowly, Ronnie and Jake along with Kevin’s son Kane (co-writer of Five Finger Death Punch’s “Remember Everything”, In This Moments “Blood” and many others) started writing songs under Kevin’s supervision based on literally hundreds of great riffs Jake had stored up from his years in seclusion.

The new self-titled Red Dragon Cartel debut album was cut at The Hideout and produced by R. Bernard Mann (AKA Ronnie Mancuso and Jake E. Lee) and executive produced, mixed and mastered by Kevin Churko.

The band was rounded out by a lucky few culled from over a thousand submissions to a “Jake E. Lee needs a lead singer and drummer Facebook page”. The lucky few are UK born vocalist D.J Smith, and Vancouver based drummer/vocalist, Jonas Fairley. The album also features stellar guest appearances from legendary vocalist Robin Zander of Cheap Trick, original Iron Maiden vocalist Paul Di’Anno, former Pantera and Down bassist Rex Brown, Slash’s Conspirator’s, Todd Kearns and Brent Fitz, Scott Reeder of Kyuss and The Obsessed and new metal icons like vocalist Maria Brink from In This Moment and Five Finger Death Punch’s Jeremy Spencer. With the majority of tracks recorded with the new permanent members “Red Dragon Cartel” (album and band) is about to blast off. This amazing guitarist will once again grace the rock world with his unbridled skill with an extremely talented band backing him up.

RED DRAGON CARTEL
Jake E. Lee – Guitars
Ronnie Mancuso – Bass
D.J Smith – Vocals
Jonas Fairley - Drums

91aNF0PvpOL._SL1500_.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Deceived
2. Shout It Out
3. Feeder (featuring Robin Zander)
4. Fall From The Sky
5. Wasted
6. Slave
7. Big Mouth (featuring Maria Brink)
8. War Machine
9. Redeem Me
10. Exquisite Tenderness

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of reminds me of Ozzy Osbourne meets Beautiful Creatures.

I'll definitely check it out.

And for those who don't know, DJ Smith is Darren Smith (ex-Harem Scarem drummer) who released the awesome CD Darren Smith Band's "Keep The Spirit Alive" back in 2005. He was also lead vocalist for that disc.

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=3285&CDName=Keep%20The%20Spirit%20Alive

Kind of reminds me of Ozzy Osbourne meets Beautiful Creatures.

I'll definitely check it out.

And for those who don't know, DJ Smith is Darren Smith (ex-Harem Scarem drummer) who released the awesome CD Darren Smith Band's "Keep The Spirit Alive" back in 2005. He was also lead vocalist for that disc.

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=3285&CDName=Keep%20The%20Spirit%20Alive

His voice is being used different here and will take time to get use to. If you want to really hear his voice, check out Harem Scarems Staying away.

This will take some getting used to... musically this disk jumps around a lot. good guitar riffage as expected, but some songs are too dark and moody and Darrens voice is way too gruff sounding on many tracks

When you say trying too hard you mean trying too hard to sound like Ozzy? Just listening to it for the first time now and that's all I can think of. This is a guy trying to sound like Ozzy.

He doesn't sound like Darren. He is trying to be something he is not which is a head scratcher because the guy can sing lights out. I don't get it...now he is going by DJ or something? He might be afraid someone will link him to Harem Scarem or something? That's not a bad thing Darren...geez.

This is Darren....

Don't forget "Sentimental BLVD"

This is Darren....

Don't forget "Sentimental BLVD"

Oh man I did! You are correct sir...killer song as well!

He sang this track at Firefest last year. Quite awesome !!

The only track I've heard from this so far is the Robin Zander track 'Feeder' which is cool. May have to investgate further

My scores:

1. Deceived - 8.5/10
2. Shout It Out - 7/10
3. Feeder - 7.5/10
4. Fall From The Sky - 7.5/10
5. Wasted - 6.5/10
6. Slave - 8/10
7. Big Mouth - 7/10
8. War Machine - 8/10
9. Redeem Me - 9/10
10. Exquisite Tenderness - 5/10

74%

• My Little Pony

I hate to say this but the vocals kill what could have been an awesome album. Jake shreds...shame.

And the song with the girl singing may be the worst song ever!!!

:agree:

Do the vocals trail off after "Deceived," because they sound fine to me.

Yes. Some

I hate to say this but the vocals kill what could have been an awesome album. Jake shreds...shame.

Yes! Some of the songs, he sounds downright dreadful. A few of the songs are good when he actually sings normally.

Listen to his vocals on "Wasted":

http://www.filedropper.com/05wasted

• My Little Pony

Listen to his vocals on "Wasted":

http://www.filedropper.com/05wasted

Okay. Yep, I hear it. Definitely sounds like he's trying to be something he's not.

Yes. Some

Yes! Some of the songs, he sounds downright dreadful. A few of the songs are good when he actually sings normally.

Backed. Mostly dreadful though. Even Deceiver left a bad taste in my mouth the 1st time I heard it but it does get worse somehow. Some of the songs get very boring as well but the one thing that sticks is this guy can still rip like it's 1986.