Megadeth - Super Collider (June 4th)

All Nights Reserved

After announcing that David Draiman (Disturbed) would make a guest appearance on their upcoming new album Super Collider, thrash veterans Megadeth have officially unveiled the cover artwork that will grace the album. Take a look at it below. You can also head over to this location to listen to a clip of a brand new song from the album entitled "Don't Turn Your Back" and solve the cover game for yourself if you want.

Super Collider is set for release on June 4th through Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft. You can catch Megadeth on their European shows this summer or with Iron Maiden in the US in September.

Megadeth-Super-Collider.jpg

I was massively disappointed with 'Thirte3n' ... knowing that the bloke from Disturbed is on THIS album doesn't fill me with confidence ... :( Nice cover art, though ...

I'm a Deth fanboy so of course I'm gonna pick it up.

Draiman's guest appearance makes no nevermind to me... it's probably just another one of Mustaine's half-ass attempts to appear "down with the kidz of today" or whatever... y'know, like when he had the chick from Lacuna Coil on the "A Tout Le Monde" re-do.

I was massively disappointed with 'Thirte3n'

It was OK but a definite step down from the preceding ENDGAME (which, I don't give a f*ck what anyone sez, was the best Megadeth album since RUST IN PEACE...)

I chalked the slip in quality up to Mustaine just wanting to finish the record quickly so he could fulfill his contract with Roadrunner and get the f*ck out of Dodge.

I'll give it a go ... after all, it IS Megadeth ... :)

For me, the recent albums have been reasonable, but nothing special. They haven't released what I would call a really good album since 'Youthanasia'.

For me, the recent albums have been reasonable, but nothing special. They haven't released what I would call a really good album since 'Youthanasia'.

Don't you like 'Endgame' ? I thought judging by your heavier taste, you'll like it, because some has said it's very close to RIP

Don't you like 'Endgame' ? I thought judging by your heavier taste, you'll like it, because some has said it's very close to RIP

I'm with the JE on this one, Youthanasia was the last truly consistent album that Megadeth put out ... the others have had flashes of brilliance, but nothing that makes me want to play the whole album over and over again ... Endgame came close, but I think the last truly GREAT Megadeth album has been and gone. Of course, ever their WORST album in recent years is better than the shite being put out by Dave's former employers ... :)

I'm with the JE on this one, Youthanasia was the last truly consistent album that Megadeth put out ... the others have had flashes of brilliance, but nothing that makes me want to play the whole album over and over again ... Endgame came close, but I think the last truly GREAT Megadeth album has been and gone. Of course, ever their WORST album in recent years is better than the shite being put out by Dave's former employers ... :)

Agree with all of this. I really like the sound of Endgame, but the actual tunes aren't nearly as good as 'Youthanasia' imo (and therefore a million miles away from 'Rust In Peace').

Love the Metallica reference - spot on!

I am hoping this is a rough mix, cause the vocals don't sound that good to Me...

Dave's voice has never been anything special anyway.. so it's a mystery why they keep pushing it to the front of the mix all of a sudden :yikes:

Megadeth drummer Shawn Drover says fans may be surprised by an experimental drum passage on their new album "Super Collider."

He was talking to the Metal Mayhem show on WVOX Radio (via Blabbermouth) where he described how the new record dips into different flavors of sound to keep all their fans happy and engaged.

"There's always been twists and turns with certain tracks in Megadeth's career and there's definitely a couple on this record, too. Nothing too weird or anything like that but there's just some musical twists and turns," he said.

"There's one song on there that has some real left-field drumming in it. It's something that you wouldn't expect," said Drover. "The song starts off a certain and then it kind of kicks in and it gets more violent as it goes along. And it goes in just a lot of wacky drum fills and it was fun for me to do that."

If you're getting the impression that the album is going to be too experimental for your tastes, don't hesitate - Drover says you'll find something on the album to love, no matter what.

"I think it's got a bit for everybody, so I think the fans are really going to enjoy this record big time," he said. "You know, as soon as Dave plays guitar and steps up to the mic, it's always going to sound like Megadeth no matter what."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, despite Drovers comments about experimental drumming, there is no radical departure from the Megadeth sound, which is exactly what I want from a Megadeth album.

Despite their toe dip into more commercial sounds over the years, and their "return" to the classic heavier sound, there has always been a familiarity and similarity between Megadeth albums as they have never strayed too far from their trademark sound, unlike a certain other band that begins with "ME".

I like that fact that when you pick up a Megadeth album, you get a Megadeth album.

This is another example of traditional Megadeth riffage, with that melodic aspect that has always been present.

Like the last few Megadeth albums, it contains some great songs, but does lack the big "singles" that were present earlier in their career.

But hell, who needs singles when you have an album thats solid from start to finish?

I must admit though, I do love their cover version of Cold Sweat by Thin Lizzy. Some will probably hate it, but I think they did a great job on it.

My only annoyance is that I preordered this months ago before the deluxe edition was announced, and only found out it existed after my standard copy arrived. That said, and extra £4 for 2 extra tracks is a bit steep in my book.

Apparently there is a Best Buy exclusive as well, with 3 extra tracks I believe, but I havent looked into that one yet.

Ok, here are the various bonus versions:

Japanese:

All I want

A house divided

Countdown to extinction (live)

Best Buy exclusive:

A house divided

All I want

Symphony of destruction (live)

European deluxe:

All I want

A house divided

Well... after a few spins I think it's an okay album. It's slower and more melodic(!) than "Thirteen" was, it has a lot of funk/fusion element, Mustaine's voice is kinda older and Broderick doesn't shred his ass off. There is no "Public Enemy No. 1" but there aren't any fillers either. It's okay (and I need to hear the bonus songs). :)