Alice in Chains to release new album in May 2013 - "The Devil Put

whiplash1972

I never thought of AIC as grunge weird huh, and I always hated Nirvana until I realize what a complete metal head Dave Grohl is, that kind of makes me not hate them as bad, but I would take Soundgarden, AIC were always more Metal, up until ST,

http://www.bringbackglam.com/journal/2008/5/1/diamond-lieto-alice-in-chains.html

Here is a funny little article, by some clueless kids, but it does have a nice picture of pre AIC, Diamond Lie and Layne and the gangs poofy hair. :)

I guess thats why I liked them, they always appreciated solid rock music, heck before they blew up and became AIC and were just aic and even before aic as Diamond Lie they played Hanoi Rocks covers and had the likes of Tommi Gunn join them on stage regularly. Hanging with them regularly I learned a few things though, Jerry Cantrell is a douche, Layne was so quiet nice and respectful you just wanted to move mountains for him and Sean Kinney was and is as I've seen him at many local rock shows from KIngs X to a TKO, is also a humble music aficianodo just like us.

Here are a few YouTube's of pre AIC glam splendor!

King Of the Cats! Killer with a bunch of cowbell!

Everyones fave, Queen Of THe Rodeo, its a live one, so's the quality isn't top shelf, but the vid is cool:

http://youtu.be/NSzOgzRtRQs

Excellent David Bowie cover, which was a staple in the live shows, the first is the recorded quality version and the second is the live version... Suffragette City:

SC Live, but cool for all the who's who??? of Seattle glam rockers in 88, keep your eyes open for most of Tramp Alley.

Let this one keep going after SC and you get to hear them do a couple verses of Faster P. Cats Babylon.

As Diamond Lie: Over THe Edge

http://youtu.be/fMUl6YBUmCQ

That should give you all something to chew on. Geoffrey give the earlier stuff a go so you can get a better appreciation of the boys in 88. ;) An d look closely in one of those videos you may catch a glimpse of yours truly...

To me Alice In Chains was by far the Metal of the Grunge bands

Their Facelift album is/was pretty damn metal for its time. There's a lot of Sabbath influence running thru that album (big doomy riffage!)...

Shoot, one of their first major road trips for that album was the "Clash of the Titans" U.S. thrash package tour as the openers for Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth.

Their Facelift album is/was pretty damn metal for its time. There's a lot of Sabbath influence running thru that album (big doomy riffage!)...

Shoot, one of their first major road trips for that album was the "Clash of the Titans" U.S. thrash package tour as the openers for Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth.

The Facelift album is the most tolerable of the bunch. The next release had a couple of ok songs. After that....wtf???

That was the 1st time I ever even heard of them, when they opened on Clash Of The Titans, they were selling their disc for $5 and tape for $3, I dug it, and I really liked Sap, and Jar of Flies, I like their acoustic stuff, and Dirt had some ok songs.

They opened for Poison too.

They opened for Poison too.

They also opened for Van Halen on the F.U.C.K. tour... :)

Damn Geoff, some victim talk going on here? I had know Idea how victimized youd been, im so sorry, what can we do to help you? maybe some Pantera? try out B-Thong, any of Tony Jelonchovich's bands(Transport leage or M.A.N.) Slayer, Venom, any number of good aggressive bands that are better then your alternatives, C.O.C. Superjoint, hell that Red disc is fucking heavy, you know what I went to when grunge took over, Anthrax and Slayer concerts, I saw Kreator, I saw Machinehead, Pro-Pain, Stuck Mojo, and Biohazard, there was never any shortage of killer live bands, I got stabbed watching Snapcase\Earth Crisis, straightedge hardcore bands, the only thing that really went away was AOR and Melodic or commercial rock groups, and you gotta really remember, they were becoming monotonies by then, every band was sounding the same, granted I'd rather have a bunch of those bands that sounded the same then a bunch of grunge bands, but there were some of those post grunge bands that were ok, like I saw Sponge live, and fucking loved them, I hated them from the radio, Stompbox was another one, but I cant think of any grunge outside of Soundgarden I could even stand.

I have been abused and been a victim and for that I want you to rape, I mean hug me, to make me feel okay again. I want to know that beautiful humans, like you, do exist. And not just in my fantasies.

But yeah, everyone block your ears. This will make people cry, but I actually don't like 80's heavy metal at all. I would prefer to listen to it over anything else I don't like, but as for actually liking it personally, I just sadly don't. Yes it's got the riffs, some killer music and... well, that's where it ends for me, sadly. I prefer the new brand of heavy metal, personally, because it's got the riffs, but it's also more melodic and catchy, and I much prefer the lyrics. That said, with heavy metal there are always good and bad types and it's all completely in the ear of the beholder. I just personally prefer the new bands.

The only "music" I hate more than grunge is rap/hip-hop. Gives me a headache in exactly 1 minute.

I listened to NWA and Geto Boys in the mid 90's... because I prefer rap to grunge. For me personally, it's the lowest form of music out there... maybe equal with jazz, actually.

That should give you all something to chew on. Geoffrey give the earlier stuff a go so you can get a better appreciation of the boys in 88. An d look closely in one of those videos you may catch a glimpse of yours truly...

Yeah, thanks mate... I actually recall seeing some of those before and I remember you kids talking me into getting the 'Dirt' album. Worst mistake I ever made in my life - hated every single second of it. ;)

For the record, I too wish they had stayed glam...

Damn Geoff, some victim talk going on here? I had know Idea how victimized youd been, im so sorry, what can we do to help you? maybe some Pantera? try out B-Thong, any of Tony Jelonchovich's bands(Transport leage or M.A.N.) Slayer, Venom, any number of good aggressive bands that are better then your alternatives, C.O.C. Superjoint, hell that Red disc is fucking heavy, you know what I went to when grunge took over, Anthrax and Slayer concerts, I saw Kreator, I saw Machinehead, Pro-Pain, Stuck Mojo, and Biohazard, there was never any shortage of killer live bands, I got stabbed watching Snapcase\Earth Crisis, straightedge hardcore bands, the only thing that really went away was AOR and Melodic or commercial rock groups, and you gotta really remember, they were becoming monotonies by then, every band was sounding the same, granted I'd rather have a bunch of those bands that sounded the same then a bunch of grunge bands, but there were some of those post grunge bands that were ok, like I saw Sponge live, and fucking loved them, I hated them from the radio, Stompbox was another one, but I cant think of any grunge outside of Soundgarden I could even stand.

I have been abused and been a victim and for that I want you to rape, I mean hug me, to make me feel okay again. I want to know that beautiful humans, like you, do exist. And not just in my fantasies.

But yeah, everyone block your ears. This will make people cry, but I actually don't like 80's heavy metal at all. I would prefer to listen to it over anything else I don't like, but as for actually liking it personally, I just sadly don't. Yes it's got the riffs, some killer music and... well, that's where it ends for me, sadly. I prefer the new brand of heavy metal, personally, because it's got the riffs, but it's also more melodic and catchy, and I much prefer the lyrics. That said, with heavy metal there are always good and bad types and it's all completely in the ear of the beholder. I just personally prefer the new bands.

The only "music" I hate more than grunge is rap/hip-hop. Gives me a headache in exactly 1 minute.

I listened to NWA and Geto Boys in the mid 90's... because I prefer rap to grunge. For me personally, it's the lowest form of music out there... maybe equal with jazz, actually.

That should give you all something to chew on. Geoffrey give the earlier stuff a go so you can get a better appreciation of the boys in 88. An d look closely in one of those videos you may catch a glimpse of yours truly...

Yeah, thanks mate... I actually recall seeing some of those before and I remember you kids talking me into getting the 'Dirt' album. Worst mistake I ever made in my life - hated every single second of it. ;)

For the record, I too wish they had stayed glam...

The DIRT album is a far far distance away musically from the early years of AIC. Now I dig DIRT, but I can see how it would not transcend from the earlier Hanoii, Faster P. Cat influenced AIC.

They released most of those demo's on a disc in the Nothings Safe box set, but I am sure the MP-3's arereadily available if your inclined.

I still listen to the Geto Boys!! Gangsta Of Love one of the all time baddest songs ever made!

I still listen to the Geto Boys!! Gangsta Of Love one of the all time baddest songs ever made!

If I recall, some of that shit was pretty funny. I assume it was meant to be serious, but it brought lolz. And it had far more melody than AIC too. ;)