The albums that suffered in '92 (or close to it...)

MetalPete1031

I was just thinking about the great rock n roll releases that got killed by the onslaught of grunge, most infamously tied to 1992.

Here is my list, in no particular order...share yours!

• Cinderella - Still Climbing
  • Steelheart - Tangled in Reins
  • Warrant - Dog Eat Dog
  • Electric Boys - Groovus Maximus
  • Wildside - Under the Influence
  • Great White - Psycho City
  • Saigon Kick - Water
  • Kings X - Dogman
  • Tesla - Bust a Nut

surely I am missing several...!

Warrior Soul's Salutations from the Ghetto Nation deserved to blow up F'ing huge in '92.

• My Little Pony

Electric Boys - Freewheelin'

Extreme - III Sides to Every Story

Firehouse - Hold Your Fire

Transit - Catch Fire

Honestly, some of my favourite albums were from the 90's.

92 was the wrong year for many great bands -

Giant

Mitch Malloy

21 Guns

Unruly Child

Masquerade

Firehouse

All pretty much died on their arse because of what transpired.

I was just thinking about the great rock n roll releases that got killed by the onslaught of grunge, most infamously tied to 1992.

• Warrant - Dog Eat Dog
  • Saigon Kick - Water
  • Kings X - Dogman
  • Tesla - Bust a Nut

Still Climbing and Bust a Nut was 94' not 92'.

I think Water was 93'.

I agree all of those deserved better fates.

• My Little Pony

• Warrant - Dog Eat Dog
  • Saigon Kick - Water
  • Kings X - Dogman
  • Tesla - Bust a Nut

Still Climbing and Bust a Nut was 94' not 92'.

I think Water was 93'.

I agree all of those deserved better fates.

The title reads "1992 (or close to it)."

I see that I own:

Bad Company - Here Comes Trouble

Bon Jovi - Keep The Faith

Bride - Snakes In the Playground

Jude Cole - Start The Car

Def Leppard Adrenalize

Damn Yakees - Dont Tread

Holy Soldier - Last Train

Izzy Stradlin

Legend - Legend

Firehouse - hold your fire

Mitch Malloy

Sage - Luv N Lust

Slaughter - The Wild Life

Thunder - Laughing On Judgement Day

Trister - Hear

Warrant - dog eat dog

White Lion - best of

• My Little Pony

That link didn't work.

ok, go to the link, type in 1992 then change the drop down box to year

I figured that's what you did.

Wow, this turned out longer than I thought but it was too late to turn back when I realised what I'd done. So many killer releases in 1992 (it's not one of my favourite years in music for nothing) but here are a few I believe were most hard done by:

Babylon AD - 'Nothing Sacred' ; surely 'So savage the heart' would have made this band in a less harsh environment.

Bad 4 Good - 'Refugee' ; not a flawless classic at all, but some brilliant tracks on here and I feel these guys would definitely have made a dent in better conditions.

Bangalore Choir - 'On Target' ; something that commercial demanded to be heard by the masses.

Big Bang Babies - s/t ; 5 years earlier these guys would surely have been a pretty big thing.

The Brave - Battle Cries ; again, huge album that would have been a sensation, especially in christian circles.

Candy Harlots - 'Five wicked ways' ; one of the best bands to come out of the Australian "hair metal" scene, just a little too late.

FM - 'Aphrodesiac' ; far from perfect, but the band reclaimed a lot of credibility after the dreadful 'Takin' it to the streets,' but it was too late because no one cared anymore. They sounded great on this disc, even if the songs weren't perfect.

Faster Pussycat - 'Whipped' ; in my opinion their best album yet. Should have really done well for them but it was sadly their undoing.

Fiona - 'Squueze' ; again, her best album yet with an abundance of commercial sure-fire hits... but no one cared anymore.

Giant - 'Tie to burn' ; same ol' story. Some simply stunning melodic/commercial rock here, would probably have made the superstars in a more forgiving year.

Gotthard - s/t ; good, almost "fresh" sounding hard rock release that really should have made these guys a pretty big name.

Hardline - 'Double Eclipse' ; undoubtedly an album with hit written all over it, even if it had been released just 2 years earlier.

House of Lords - 'Demons Down' ; again, arguably their best album yet and ripe for taking for hit makers.

Kiss - 'Revenge' ; again, an extremely strong album showing them at an excellent place in their history... yet sadly this would be the last original material we'd hear from them for an age, and they were never the same afterwards.

Lancia - s/t ; a little unpolished and several fillers in the mix, but undoubtedly an album that should have got notice.

Lynch Mob - s/t ; more consistent than the debut, and a great hard rock disc.

Masquerade - s/t ; the one that always stood out for me as the band who missed the time mark the most. Obviously unlikely they'd have been an international hit, but this release deserved to be absolutely massive do some degree. Dreadful time for it's release.

Mitch Malloy - s/t ; dude had oodles of hit potential, but again missed the boat completely.

John Norum - 'Face The Truth' ; brilliant slab of melodic hard rock and the failure of this proved to be the end of his talent and he would never release a half-decent album again. This album was waaaay too good to deserve the fate it was dealt.

Ochsenknecht - s/t ; the name alone sealed his fate as a commercial failure, but an album this good should be widely recognised, and it's not, at all.

Pretty Maids - 'Sin Decade' ; killer disc.

Return - 'V' ; this was a sad one. The guys finally create a really great disc only for it to be their last, until the reformation many years later. But it's a real shame they were never able to capitalise on finally delivering the goods.

Rick Price - 'Heaven Knows' ; this was actually a huge hit in Australia, but for continued success, it was obviously too late as he never recaptured this kind of success again.

Roko - 'Open Invitation' ; easily their best CD and criminal it could not reap the rewards for this band.

Roxus - 'Nitestreet' ; this album actually had good success in Australia but the fact that they were never able to obtain a release for their 2nd album, after releasing this undisputed classic, states clearly that it was all too late.

Sleez Beez - 'Powertool' ; magnificence that went ignored for the most part. Shameful. This band should have been so much bigger than they were.

Southern Sons - 'Nothing but the truth' ; another great album which would sadly spell the end for these guys, despite moderate success with a few singles from this CD.

Steelheart - 'Tangled in the reigns' ; definitely some great stuff here that should have made this album and band huge. Sadly, again it proved to be their demise.

Sven Gali - s/t ; another band that deserved so much more. Despite a few fillers toward the end of this, there are a handful of what should have been classic songs on the first half of this disc. A true shame these guys never went anywhere with an album this good.

Trixter - 'Hear!' ; another killer release which would prove to be the demise of the band as we knew and loved them.

Universe - 'Bad Child' ; killer hard rock disc which was just completely released at the wrong time to make the dent it should have.

Unruly Child - s/t ; this album should finally have made Mark Free a household name as it finally had all the right ingredients to be a hit, except for the release date.

Von Groove - s/t ; a band I truly believe were robbed of deserved success based on the timing of this release. What a shame... what a great album.

Wall Of Silence - 'Shock to the System' ; another album filled with hits that never got a look in. Shameful waste of brilliance.

Warrant - 'Dog Eat Dog' ; again, ironically it was their best album that would be the last time we ever heard the band at their finest.

Wildside - 'Under the Influence' ; another of the poor bastards who released a near-flawless debut at the worst possible moment in history.

Wow, this turned out longer than I thought but it was too late to turn back when I realised what I'd done. So many killer releases in 1992 (it's not one of my favourite years in music for nothing) but here are a few I believe were most hard done by:

Babylon AD - 'Nothing Sacred' ; surely 'So savage the heart' would have made this band in a less harsh environment.

Bad 4 Good - 'Refugee' ; not a flawless classic at all, but some brilliant tracks on here and I feel these guys would definitely have made a dent in better conditions.

Bangalore Choir - 'On Target' ; something that commercial demanded to be heard by the masses.

Big Bang Babies - s/t ; 5 years earlier these guys would surely have been a pretty big thing.

The Brave - Battle Cries ; again, huge album that would have been a sensation, especially in christian circles.

Candy Harlots - 'Five wicked ways' ; one of the best bands to come out of the Australian "hair metal" scene, just a little too late.

FM - 'Aphrodesiac' ; far from perfect, but the band reclaimed a lot of credibility after the dreadful 'Takin' it to the streets,' but it was too late because no one cared anymore. They sounded great on this disc, even if the songs weren't perfect.

Faster Pussycat - 'Whipped' ; in my opinion their best album yet. Should have really done well for them but it was sadly their undoing.

Fiona - 'Squueze' ; again, her best album yet with an abundance of commercial sure-fire hits... but no one cared anymore.

Giant - 'Tie to burn' ; same ol' story. Some simply stunning melodic/commercial rock here, would probably have made the superstars in a more forgiving year.

Gotthard - s/t ; good, almost "fresh" sounding hard rock release that really should have made these guys a pretty big name.

Hardline - 'Double Eclipse' ; undoubtedly an album with hit written all over it, even if it had been released just 2 years earlier.

House of Lords - 'Demons Down' ; again, arguably their best album yet and ripe for taking for hit makers.

Kiss - 'Revenge' ; again, an extremely strong album showing them at an excellent place in their history... yet sadly this would be the last original material we'd hear from them for an age, and they were never the same afterwards.

Lancia - s/t ; a little unpolished and several fillers in the mix, but undoubtedly an album that should have got notice.

Masquerade - s/t ; the one that always stood out for me as the band who missed the time mark the most. Obviously unlikely they'd have been an international hit, but this release deserved to be absolutely massive do some degree. Dreadful time for it's release.

Mitch Malloy - s/t ; dude had oodles of hit potential, but again missed the boat completely.

John Norum - 'Face The Truth' ; brilliant slab of melodic hard rock and the failure of this proved to be the end of his talent and he would never release a half-decent album again. This album was waaaay too good to deserve the fate it was dealt.

Ochsenknecht - s/t ; the name alone sealed his fate as a commercial failure, but an album this good should be widely recognised, and it's not, at all.

Return - 'V' ; this was a sad one. The guys finally create a really great disc only for it to be their last, until the reformation many years later. But it's a real shame they were never able to capitalise on finally delivering the goods.

Rick Price - 'Heaven Knows' ; this was actually a huge hit in Australia, but for continued success, it was obviously too late as he never recaptured this kind of success again.

Roko - 'Open Invitation' ; easily their best CD and criminal it could not reap the rewards for this band.

Roxus - 'Nitestreet' ; this album actually had good success in Australia but the fact that they were never able to obtain a release for their 2nd album, after releasing this undisputed classic, states clearly that it was all too late.

Sleez Beez - 'Powertool' ; magnificence that went ignored for the most part. Shameful. This band should have been so much bigger than they were.

Southern Sons - 'Nothing but the truth' ; another great album which would sadly spell the end for these guys, despite moderate success with a few singles from this CD.

Steelheart - 'Tangled in the reigns' ; definitely some great stuff here that should have made this album and band huge. Sadly, again it proved to be their demise.

Sven Gali - s/t ; another band that deserved so much more. Despite a few fillers toward the end of this, there are a handful of what should have been classic songs on the first half of this disc. A true shame these guys never went anywhere with an album this good.

Trixter - 'Hear!' ; another killer release which would prove to be the demise of the band as we knew and loved them.

Universe - 'Bad Child' ; killer hard rock disc which was just completely released at the wrong time to make the dent it should have.

Unruly Child - s/t ; this album should finally have made Mark Free a household name as it finally had all the right ingredients to be a hit, except for the release date.

Von Groove - s/t ; a band I truly believe were robbed of deserved success based on the timing of this release. What a shame... what a great album.

Wall Of Silence - 'Shock to the System' ; another album filled with hits that never got a look in. Shameful waste of brilliance.

Warrant - 'Dog Eat Dog' ; again, ironically it was their best album that would be the last time we ever heard the band at their finest.

Wildside - 'Under the Influence' ; another of the poor bastards who released a near-flawless debut at the worst possible moment in history.

I agree with everything except the Warrant comment. I thought Ultraphobic was just as good.

I agree with everything except the Warrant comment. I thought Ultraphobic was just as good.

& Cherry Pie was much better ;-)

& Cherry Pie was much better ;-)

Sorry chaps, both wrong. But thanks anyway. ;)

Seriously, I love their first two and 'Ultraphobic' is a solid sell-out CD, and one of the better sell out discs of the mid-90's. But 'Dog Eat Dog' is one of the top 5-10 albums I've heard in my life. In terms of lyrics, songwriting and musicianship I wholeheartedly believe it is far superior to any other Warrant disc. Sorry Jarred, but especially 'Ultraphobic.'

yeah glad you like it. All Warrant's albums are good, but for me the first 4 songs on DED are just fillers. I know many love those songs, but I just dont. Having said that 'All My Bridges' is arguably my fav Warrant song.

• My Little Pony

I always forget this was released in 92, despite it being one of my all-time favourites. I never grow tired of it.

Wow, can't believe I missed the HARDLINE disc and FASTER PUSSYCAT. I have been listening to tunes from 'Whipped" this week, too!

Must agree with Geoff about Dog Eat Dog. Absolutely stellar, to me it is indeed their best, hands-down.

RIP, Jani...wish you and fellow rocker Henrik O. could be on the M.O.R. cruise.

but for me the first 4 songs on DED are just fillers. I know many love those songs, but I just dont. Having said that 'All My Bridges' is arguably my fav Warrant song.

I agree. I thought after the opening tracks it got much better

agree

but for me the first 4 songs on DED are just fillers. I know many love those songs, but I just dont. Having said that 'All My Bridges' is arguably my fav Warrant song.

agree

Wow. 'April 2031' is one of my all-time favourite songs, and 'Andy Warhol Was Right' is in my top 5 off the CD. And to top it off, the first 2 are killer hard rockers in my book. But wow, fillers? Crazy people on board here. ;)

agree

Wow. 'April 2031' is one of my all-time favourite songs, and 'Andy Warhol Was Right' is in my top 5 off the CD. And to top it off, the first 2 are killer hard rockers in my book. But wow, fillers? Crazy people on board here. ;)

To each his own but no way in hell those are fillers. All 4 are awesome songs.

1. Machine Gun - (8) solid hard rocker

2. Hole In My Wall -(7) good riff and vibe but messy verses

3. April 2031 - (6) oh dear - Warrant doing serious. Pretentious, overlong, but I guess the chorus has a half decent hook which just about saves it.

4. Andy Warhol Was Right - (6.5) pretty cool lyrics but there isn't really a chorus or hook. Yeah ok, but not the warrant I wanna hear

Compare this to the first 4 on Cherry Pie -

1. Cherry Pie (9) - played to death but you'd be a fool to deny this mountainous hook.

2. Uncle Toms Cabin (9.5) - utterly killer hard rocker

3. I Saw Red - (9.5) - not only one of my fav Warrant songs, but a fav of mine full stop. Classic tune.

4. Bed Of Roses - (8.5) - very good rocker with good chorus hook.

And to be honest the rest of it kills DGD as well, I mean there's not much on DGD which lives up to Blind Faith, Love In Stereo, Mr Rainmaker etc - all virtually 10/10 songs for me!

Just my opinion of course ;-)

8 & even 7 are pretty good scores for fillers, mate. ;)

Like you say, to each their own, but I totally disagree. I like 'Bed of roses' plenty, and agree that 'Cherry Pie' is still a very cool tune. But I prefer the first 4 on DED to those two for sure. Similarly to you I'd rate most songs 10/10... just on DED instead of 'Cherry Pie.'

Call it serious, pretentious or what you will, but to me it is just brilliance. As fun as 'Cherry Pie' is, I wouldn't put it in the same galaxy as such well written tunes as '2031' and 'Warhol.' There may not be a clear chorus hook in 'Warhol,' but the 'Why did god make you so famous when he only spit on me' hook is worth 10 chorus hooks alone. And the lyrics and lead up to the solo... The whole song is a real lesson in how to write amazing hooks without just relying on a poppy chorus.

Anyway, I guess the thing I love most about the CD is that it's so rare to find a CD with lyrics that I find truly brilliant. In fact I can name my top 4 "favourite lyriced" albums of all time because they - for me alone, obviously - stand out so far and are all I can actually even think of, of note. They are of course, 'Dog Eat Dog,' Catuerize's 'So far from real' and 'Paper Wings' and the curveball - Vain's 'Move on it.' :)