TWINKIE... R.I.P.

LV KIX

This is crushing news to me. I survive on Twinkies. I eat anywhere betweek 5 and 10 twwo-packs of Twinkies a week. Each Christmas one of my aunts gets me a box of Twinkies... she has been doing that ever since I was 2 years old. A part of me has died.

Ask Sam (Retrospect) how much I need my Twinkies. Every year at Rocklahoma I make him stop each night so I can pick up my supply of Twinkies. Not sure how I will get through Rocklahoma in 2013... Actually, I'm not sure how I will get through the weekend.

Anyone else got a thing for any Hostess snacks..?

=================================================================================================

Hostess shutdown sparks grief, Twinkie runs, criticis

By Tiffany Hsu

November 16, 2012, 10:03 a.m.

Hostess Brands Inc.’s announcement that it will go out of business sent shockwaves through the country Friday, as Americans began hoarding Twinkies and Ding Dongs and bemoaning their fading childhoods.

The company, which also makes Wonder Bread, said it will lay off 18,500 workers, blaming a labor strike by the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union. Hostess, which has filed for bankruptcy twice this decade, threatened to liquidate earlier this week.

The union has accused the company, which logged annual sales of about $2.5 billion, of slashing worker pay and benefits while upper management rakes in pay raises.

On Friday, social media sites saw an explosion of reactions from users, many over the fate of Twinkies, Hostess’ spongy yellow snack cake.

The product has a rich history in popular culture – showing up deep-fried at county fairs and in legal form in criminal trials – and is often suspected of having an infinite shelf life.

The brand, a vintage favorite, even had a starring role in the film “Zombieland,” in which Woody Harrelson’s character Tallahassee barrels through hordes of the living dead looking for a Twinkie fix.

Way to go, Union members. You were warned that trying to strong-arm the company would result in its demise, yet you kept pushing. Now 18,000 people are out of work. Diiiiiiiick move.

Anyway... this explains why Wonder Bread was a buck a loaf in Shop Rite this morning, it's the start of the big sell off (and yes, I bought two loaves... and some Twinkies.)

I'm sure some other company will end up swoopin' in and buying Hostess' brands/recipes, but it probably won't be the same.

• My Little Pony

The sad truth is no one will learn from this. Greed and the notion of entitlement will still drive people to continuously bite the hand that feeds 'em. Like Keef said, "Diiiiiiiick move." But I guess that's all dicks do.

Just stock up Dave!!! Isn't the shelf life of a Twinkie like 20 years??? Problem solved. :)

I've got 3 boxes of 10 Twinkies plus 4 packs of two Twinkies (all I could find in the 2 stores in my town). My mom is headed to the beach this wekend... She called and already got me 11 more two packs on the way. She hopes to find more once she gets there. I'll do what I can but it isn't going to be easy.

Just stock up Dave!!! Isn't the shelf life of a Twinkie like 20 years??? Problem solved. :)

I've got 3 boxes of 10 Twinkies plus 4 packs of two Twinkies (all I could find in the 2 stores in my town). My mom is headed to the beach this wekend... She called and already got me 11 more two packs on the way. She hopes to find more once she gets there. I'll do what I can but it isn't going to be easy.

I think it will all be OK. I'm sure another company will buy the rights to make Twinkies. No one can turn their backs on 2.5 billion in profits.

PS....I've never had a Twinkie, not sure if you can buy them here in Canada, although that would be no excuse since I live 5 minutes from the border.

Keep pushing Brotha :)

Way to go, Union members. You were warned that trying to strong-arm the company would result in its demise, yet you kept pushing. Now 18,000 people are out of work. Diiiiiiiick move.

Actually, you can't (fully) blame the Union for this. Hostess has been in financial trouble for several years now, long before the Union called for a strike. And as for that strike itself...not sure I even disagre with that; Hostess executives were demanding to cut employee's pay by 8% and reduce their pensions/benefits by 32% while at the same time giving themselves millions of dollars in bonuses. Even now, as the company is going through its death throes, the top executives are giving themselves a total of $1.75 million in severance bonuses. Yeah, there is probably some greed from the Union involved in all this...but there's plenty of greed (and blame) at the Hostess management level as well.

Actually, you can't (fully) blame the Union for this. Hostess has been in financial trouble for several years now, long before the Union called for a strike. And as for that strike itself...not sure I even disagre with that; Hostess executives were demanding to cut employee's pay by 8% and reduce their pensions/benefits by 32% while at the same time giving themselves millions of dollars in bonuses. Even now, as the company is going through its death throes, the top executives are giving themselves a total of $1.75 million in severance bonuses. Yeah, there is probably some greed from the Union involved in all this...but there's plenty of greed (and blame) at the Hostess management level as well.

Well, yeah, there really aren't any "good" guys in this scenario, and Hostess has had several flirtations with bankruptcy over the years, but geez, when the Teamsters informed the union representing the bakers "Dudes, seriously, if your guys don't get back to work the whole damn company's gonna go under," and they still refused to listen, all you can really say to that is "DUH."

• 3 months later...

I have money on Walmart to buy and keep the twinkie going.

looks like I would have lost that bet

Dry your tears, Twinkies fans. Your long, preservative-deprived nightmare is ending.

Thanks to the same benevolent folks who gave America back its Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and their private equity friends, the filling-stuffed snack cakes could be back on shelves by summer. According to CNNMoney, a bankruptcy court accepted the $410 million bid from Pabst owners Metropolous & Co. and private equity firm Apollo Global Management (APO +0.42%) on Monday.

Pabst Blue Ribbon and Twinkies.... two great tastes that go great together!!!! :woot:

this just ensured another 10 seasons on honey booboo

I still have no idea what that is.

And you should be thankful for that.

• My Little Pony

this just ensured another 10 seasons on honey booboo

I still have no idea what that is.

And you should be thankful for that.

Yeah? Okay. Cool.

• 3 months later...

Great news for Dave (LV KIX) and all Twinkie lovers around the world.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/hostess-says-twinkies-return-shelves-july-15-wider-161959848.html