Vain: "Enough Rope" review

metalmaniac777

My review of the new Vain album, "Enough Rope," is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Vain review

I've never been the biggest Vain fan, but this was a nice surprise.

Wow, better than the debut? Massive call. This dispatched from Amazon last week so I'm hoping to have it by the end of this week... absolutely dying to hear it. Probably the last valid contender of album of the year as far as I'm concerned for 2011.

It is not better than the debut. No way, shape or form.

Enough Rope is very good, of course the production is better but IMO there is not one song on Enough Rope that is better than these:

Secrets

Beat The Bullet

Aces

Who's Watching You

I would say most of Enough Rope is on par with what I don't list above off No Respect.

I think the review stating "worthy successor" is accurate...but stating that ER is the best album Vain has ever released? Ah, no.

Of course this is just my opinion and we all know opinions are like assholes.

Wow, better than the debut? Massive call.

Bear in mind that I do not rate the debut nearly as highly as most glam/sleaze/hair metal fans (you & I have had this conversation before). The better production and more hard rock-oriented approach make "Enough Rope" a little more up my alley.

Enough Rope is very good, of course the production is better but IMO there is not one song on Enough Rope that is better than these:

Secrets

Beat The Bullet

Aces

Who's Watching You

What about the title track? ;) Probably my personal fave off a basically flawless CD.

It is not better than the debut. No way, shape or form. Enough Rope is very good, of course the production is better but IMO there is not one song on Enough Rope that is better than these:

Secrets

Beat The Bullet

Aces

Who's Watching You

I would say most of Enough Rope is on par with what I don't list above off No Respect. I think the review stating "worthy successor" is accurate...but stating that ER is the best album Vain has ever released? Ah, no. Of course this is just my opinion and we all know opinions are like assholes.

I do not expect most Vain fans to agree with my statement that "Enough Rope" is better than "No Respect." That album has been out forever and people cannot help but judge it fondly through the filter of nostalgia. But reviews are nothing more than one person's opinion, and in my opinion, "Enough Rope" is the superior CD. What is clear, judging from the comments in this thread thus far, is that everyone agrees it's a good album. I simply cannot imagine any Vain fan failing to be impressed with this latest offering.

It is a great album but like most I still would rate No Respect higher as it's one of my top ten albums of all time if not top five. Enough Rope would fit perfectly between the debut and All Those Strangers and I'd say it's the 2nd best Vain release or maybe the 3rd but it's awesome either way but I love everything Vain has done.

It is a great album but like most I still would rate No Respect higher as it's one of my top ten albums of all time if not top five. Enough Rope would fit perfectly between the debut and All Those Strangers and I'd say it's the 2nd best Vain release or maybe the 3rd but it's awesome either way but I love everything Vain has done.

Even that makes me crazy with anticipation because although the debut is one of my all time favourites, both 'All those strangers' and 'Move on it' would both easily rate over 90%, probably close to 95% for me. So even if it's "only" as good as those two it's going to be sensational party time in my pants.

It is not better than the debut. No way, shape or form. Enough Rope is very good, of course the production is better but IMO there is not one song on Enough Rope that is better than these:

Secrets

Beat The Bullet

Aces

Who's Watching You

I would say most of Enough Rope is on par with what I don't list above off No Respect. I think the review stating "worthy successor" is accurate...but stating that ER is the best album Vain has ever released? Ah, no. Of course this is just my opinion and we all know opinions are like assholes.

I do not expect most Vain fans to agree with my statement that "Enough Rope" is better than "No Respect." That album has been out forever and people cannot help but judge it fondly through the filter of nostalgia. But reviews are nothing more than one person's opinion, and in my opinion, "Enough Rope" is the superior CD. What is clear, judging from the comments in this thread thus far, is that everyone agrees it's a good album. I simply cannot imagine any Vain fan failing to be impressed with this latest offering.

It has nothing to do with the filter of nostalgia. There is not one song on Enough Rope that is better than those that I listed. Yes, Geoff I could probably list the title track in that group as well. No Respect is just brilliant, catchy, beginning to end. Enough Rope is not, at least to the level of No Repsect. I am in total agreement that Enough Rope is a great album and will be in my top 10 for 2011 for sure. I agree with Wes that it is probably their second best release. The song Vain is killer but does not surpass some of the songs off No Respect.

But yeah, it is just opinions. I am not saying your review is bad. I just do not agree with it and it is hard for me to see how anyone could think ER is better than NR but again, that does not make me right either. That is what reviews are for. Had you said Enough Rope was not very good in your review I would be here disagreeing just as much, probably even more. :)

I'll probably lean towards Marks thinking and say that I prefer Enough Rope to the debut. Both are very similar in style, but bugger me backwards if there's anything on the debut which is better than 'Cindy' or 'Worship You'.

Those 2 are clear absolute bona fide KILLER sleaze/glam songs, and probably just edge the newie over the line.

But as you say its all opinions.

For the record I rated it just a shade under 90%, which would have it in my top ten.

Cheers

I'll probably lean towards Marks thinking and say that I prefer Enough Rope to the debut. Both are very similar in style, but bugger me backwards if there's anything on the debut which is better than 'Cindy' or 'Worship You'.

Those 2 are clear absolute bona fide KILLER sleaze/glam songs, and probably just edge the newie over the line.

But as you say its all opinions.

For the record I rated it just a shade under 90%, which would have it in my top ten.

Cheers

Having heard the demo of 'Cindy' for many years, I agree it's as good as a lot on the debut. But of course, that was written before 'No Respect' anyway. And I'd be amazed if that's the only one written in that era. I forget what our discussions lead to, but I'm sure 'Distance of love' and 'Worship you' are older songs. I think we discussed this before too, but man I wish 'No tears for you' had made the cut too. :(

Even that makes me crazy with anticipation because although the debut is one of my all time favourites, both 'All those strangers' and 'Move on it' would both easily rate over 90%, probably close to 95% for me. So even if it's "only" as good as those two it's going to be sensational party time in my pants.

You are gonna love this as its a great mix of those three.

I think it comes down to a point that you're all wrong here. It's basically as strong as the debut, it's the same apple with only a tiny slight different taste. The debut is much more sleazier while the second one is more hard rock / heavy metal oriented.

In fact, I suspect more than 60% of the new album actually were written in the 87-88 but didn't make it to the debut just because it's too hard rock and less glam. Nothing will beat 'Beat The Bullet' or 'Someone's Watching You' but then the debut has at least 3 weaker tracks and the 3 weakest tracks in 'Enough Rope' is somehow slightly better than those 3, so there's a little volatility in the debut but it contains the strongest tracks of their career, somehow in 'Enough Rope', there are at least 3-4 strong tracks that's very close to edge the first three best tracks on the debut, and more consistent overall.

I think it comes down to a point that you're all wrong here. It's basically as strong as the debut, it's the same apple with only a tiny slight different taste. The debut is much more sleazier while the second one is more hard rock / heavy metal oriented.

In fact, I suspect more than 60% of the new album actually were written in the 87-88 but didn't make it to the debut just because it's too hard rock and less glam. Nothing will beat 'Beat The Bullet' or 'Someone's Watching You' but then the debut has at least 3 weaker tracks and the 3 weakest tracks in 'Enough Rope' is somehow slightly better than those 3, so there's a little volatility in the debut but it contains the strongest tracks of their career, somehow in 'Enough Rope', there are at least 3-4 strong tracks that's very close to edge the first three best tracks on the debut, and more consistent overall.

I think that's pretty much it - I prefer the more hard rocking of the newie - but we are being a bit picky here, they are both 90% albums which is great news eh???!

In fact, I suspect more than 60% of the new album actually were written in the 87-88 but didn't make it to the debut just because it's too hard rock and less glam.

I have been thinking the same thing. I would like to know just how much of the album is really new material. One thing is for sure, there is some fantastic songs on here regardless of when they were written or recorded. Definitely a great cd to pick up. :beerbang:

In fact, I suspect more than 60% of the new album actually were written in the 87-88 but didn't make it to the debut just because it's too hard rock and less glam.

I have been thinking the same thing. I would like to know just how much of the album is really new material. One thing is for sure, there is some fantastic songs on here regardless of when they were written or recorded. Definitely a great cd to pick up. :beerbang:

Well when I first did my review of this album a while back, I did some digging and found out that 4 of the songs were oldies - Might be wrong, as no one seems to know for sure....but this is what I wrote -

Although this is being promoted as a new album, in reality four of these songs have been knocking around in demo version for some time now on you tube. 'The Distance Of Love' featured on the Delaney album - in fairness this is actually one of the weaker tracks, but Davy does sound great and the song has a surprisingly infectious hook. However, it's the other 3 songs - all from the late 80s or Roadcrew (a short lived band that Davy had with Steven Adler) era - which are the real killers. First out, 'Cindy' is probably the best track which Vain never properly recorded. The natural progressor to 'Icy' it is an angst ridden anthem, complete with killer solo and chorus. Next, the title track 'Enough Rope' is very similar to the debut's title track and every bit as good. Finally, leaving the best until last, 'Worship You' closes the album in triumphant fashion. This is everything a sleaze song should be - you can't help but be dragged along with the energy of this song until the final notes leave you exhausted but begging for more. Seriously great stuff.

Hope this helps.......

Well when I first did my review of this album a while back, I did some digging and found out that 4 of the songs were oldies - Might be wrong, as no one seems to know for sure....but this is what I wrote -

Although this is being promoted as a new album, in reality four of these songs have been knocking around in demo version for some time now on you tube. 'The Distance Of Love' featured on the Delaney album - in fairness this is actually one of the weaker tracks, but Davy does sound great and the song has a surprisingly infectious hook. However, it's the other 3 songs - all from the late 80s or Roadcrew (a short lived band that Davy had with Steven Adler) era - which are the real killers. First out, 'Cindy' is probably the best track which Vain never properly recorded. The natural progressor to 'Icy' it is an angst ridden anthem, complete with killer solo and chorus. Next, the title track 'Enough Rope' is very similar to the debut's title track and every bit as good. Finally, leaving the best until last, 'Worship You' closes the album in triumphant fashion. This is everything a sleaze song should be - you can't help but be dragged along with the energy of this song until the final notes leave you exhausted but begging for more. Seriously great stuff.

Hope this helps.......

I've got quite a few Vain demos that I have had for some time. I'm almost positive that along with the songs you mentioned there are other songs on Enough Rope that I have in demo form that are very similar but have a different song title and maybe arrangement. But it would take some time to dig through them and see what I can come up with and I just haven't had the time to do that. But while listening to Enough Rope I kept thinking that I've heard most of these songs before. Even if that is the case it is nice to hear these songs given a professional recording job.

I think the fact that you just butchered the name one of Vain's best songs means you can no longer be part of this debate. :D

I think the fact that you just butchered the name one of Vain's best songs means you can no longer be part of this debate. :D

Ouch! :joust:

:lol:

or maybe do you mean, this debate should no longer be continued because i have settled in the best solution for all of us ? :D

or maybe do you mean, this debate should no longer be continued because i have settled in the best solution for all of us ? :D

No you are wrong once again.......