Dilemma

JamesEagle

I'm due to have an operation on 5 December that means I'll have to give up beer, possibly for years. Problem is that I won't be able to drink anything fizzy.

So my dilemma is this: What do I drink? I would normally go for JD and coke, but that will be out of bounds too. I still want to go out and have a drink with the lads, but don't want to look totally gay, which presumably rules out white wine, otherwise my first choice. Can't really go to football or gigs and stand there with a glass of wine. I'm not sure what's left. I know someone who drinks vodka and cranberry, but that doesn't appeal...

Any sensible suggestions? Or daft ones?

Vodka & Orange Juice (Screwdrivers)

Backed... But make it a double vodka & Orange Juice. :beerbang:

.. And good luck with the operation. Hope it is nothing too serious.

Vodka & Orange Juice (Screwdrivers)

Backed... But make it a double vodka & Orange Juice. :beerbang:

.. And good luck with the operation. Hope it is nothing too serious.

Cheers. It's fairly unpleasant, but not a huge deal.

I do like brandy, but I don't suppose you can mix orange juice with it. Maybe I drink it neat and have a huge wait between drinks while others finish their delicious, satisfying, lovely beers. Not that I'm going to struggle with this at all... :unsure:

pernod and black

gin and orange juice

pretty much any spirit straight

Or of course you could just drink the beer at one of my local pubs as its nearly always flat there anyway.

Wowser, sorry to hear it, mate. Sounds harsh. Like Howdy said, you might just have to get into straight spirits. You'll be flat on the floor hammered while your mates are on their first pint. :lol:

The Vodka & Orange Juice is not a bad idea, though. Good luck!

I once knew someone who would buy their coke, take the top off and leave it until all the fizz was gone and then they would drink it. I've never tried it myself but it worked for them...of course that doesn't help much when you are at a bar...I would suggest asking the bartender for drinks without fizzy ingredients, there should be quite a few to try....just tell your mates that you are expanding your tastes...

That sucks...if I couldn't have beer I'd probably be drinking some Maker's Mark bourbon :chug: whiskey

Neat?

Anyway ... Stop Press ... operation postponed for at least 2 months. Need to see a consultant again, might have to explore other options. Yay! :beerbang:

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a brief update in case anyone is interested...

Went to see a consultant on Monday, expressed some concerns about having the operation and he recommended I go ahead and have it. He brought in a surgeon who listened to what I had to say and then unequivocally said that I shouldn't have it done! No need to give up beer after all. Slight reservation is that I'll need to go back to the doctor to try to find out why I feel short of breath 100% of the time, but overall this is a big relief. No Nissen's fundoplication for me!

The future's beery... :D

4-Bottle-Free-Shot.jpg