Edguy

Jeff

Ok, I really really like their release Rocket Ride but I have not picked up anything else yet.

I have read that their releases vary a lot in style. I'm not sure if that is true but that has kept me from pursuing more of their stuff.

My question is, if I like Rocket Ride, what are the other essential Edguy releases to buy?

And any I need to avoid or put lower on my want list?

Definitely check out Hellfire Club.... it's got a similar vibe to Rocket Ride.

Everything else they have done is less hard rocky and more typical happy power metal. If Hellfire Club also rocks your boat then take a chance on Theatre of Salvation as this is the best of their power metal albums IMO. FYI they started getting more 'hard rocky' from Mandrake onwards. Cheers.

As far as quality of music goes, Vain Glory Opera to Rocket Ride you're getting a great album. Kingdom of Madness and Savage Poetry (original '95 pressing) are great to have, but not up to par amongst the rest. And if you're really into wasting your money or you're a completest, check out Tinnitus Sanctus. That being said, I totally agree with John. the first one you should check out is Hellfire Club, much more power metal than Rocket Ride, but much more Hard Rock than any of your other options. Basically start working your way backwards from Rocket Ride through their discography until you stop hearing what you like.

currently i only own 4 Edguy discs, Vain Glory Opera, Theater of Salvation, Hellfire Club, and Rocket Ride, and I say I'm pretty satisfied with the current condition.

if you don't like power metal, I guess no point in buying VGO and ToS, but I rank ToS as their highest achievement as John pointed out, and VGO is nostalgic for me as this is the first Edguy album I ever heard back in 1999.

I like Hellfire Club, and I even like it better compared to Rocket Ride, but then, Hellfire is more of a melodic metal than hard rock, but probably closest you can have compared to Rocket. Tinnitus Sanctus is hard rock I think, but I'd say avoid as most of the songs are filler and passable.

I'm eager to wait for the new album this year, hopefully they'll go back at least to Hellfire era :popcorn:

I also recently discovered and loved 'Rocket ride' and was similarly curious. I'd agree that 'Hellfire club' is a good one too, and I'd also agree with embrock that 'Tinnitus Sanctus' isn't bad either. Very disappointing after just how good 'Rocket Ride' was, but it's essentially not a bad disc at all. :)

I also recently discovered and loved 'Rocket ride' and was similarly curious. I'd agree that 'Hellfire club' is a good one too, and I'd also agree with embrock that 'Tinnitus Sanctus' isn't bad either. Very disappointing after just how good 'Rocket Ride' was, but it's essentially not a bad disc at all. :)

Completely agree Geoff! After Rocket Ride it seemed like a major disappointment, but it is a grower and still a mighty fine disc in my eyes. Surprisingly, somehow the production doesn't match up with their previous two discs though.

Oh, and if you end up digging the more power metal styled stuff then give the first 2 Avantasia Metal Opera CDs a go. Very good stuff, the same can't be said for the newer ones.