Michael Monroe - SENSORY OVERDRIVE

Fat Freddy

monroesensory.jpeg

So hey, it seems that Michael Monroe of Hanoi Rocks fame released a new CD earlier this year (outside of the U.S., apparently) called SENSORY OVERDRIVE... I had no idea that it even existed but earlier this afternoon, out of the blue, a guy in my office loaned me an import copy he'd picked up... he figured I'd dig the last track in particular cuz Lemmy from Motorhead sings backup vox. Michael's current band features his former Hanoi bandmate Sami Yaffa (also of JetBoy) and Ginger of the Wildhearts.

I will admit that I've never been much more than a casual Hanoi Rocks fan and I haven't heard an M.M. album since his NOT FAKIN' IT back in the day (which reminds me, I need to upgrade that MF'er to CD one of these damn days - I haven't heard "Dead, Jail or Rock N Roll" in ages now!), but most of SENSORY OVERDRIVE sounds pretty damn good thus far. Nothin' fancy, just good ole fashioned sleazy rock-n-roll, kinda like '70s Aerosmith with a punk rock edge. The twangy ballad "Gone Baby Gone" (a duet with country singer Lucinda Williams of all creatures) is a little weird but I have to admit that it's very well done. I particularly like the single "78" best thus far. File this under "pleasant surprise" for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0R68LBeQ3U

:beerbang:

Soooooo....anybody else heard this disc? Thoughts?

The whole album's a little bit too "punk" for my taste, BUT there are definately some excellent songs on offer. "All you need" in particular stood out for me and I really like "Trick of the Wrist" and the two bonus tracks ("Another Night in the Sun", "You're next").

I'm not sure if I prefer it over the last Hanoi Rocks disc...probably not. But I have a lot of respect for Michael Monroe and I'm really looking forward to his future releases.

What's your take on "All you need"?

I'm only on my 2nd spin of the CD so I'll have to get back to you on that...other than "78" and the country ballad, which jumped out @ me right away (the first one cuz it kicked ass, and the second because it was so strange) the rest hasn't had time to "gel" yet.

I'm only on my 2nd spin of the CD so I'll have to get back to you on that...other than "78" and the country ballad, which jumped out @ me right away (the first one cuz it kicked ass, and the second because it was so strange) the rest hasn't had time to "gel" yet.

Okay, cool! To me this song has "Hit" written all over it, so I'm interested to hear your opinion.

Yeah, the country ballad "Gone Baby Gone" is quite nice as well! Love the Stones vibe.

Not a bad cd, I like ALL YOU NEED a lot and the ballad is ok.

How did I miss this release...? I love nearly all of Monroe's stuff since Hanoi. I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for this one. Thanks for the tip. :tumbsup:

After a few more spins, I agree with you, this song has got "hit" all over it. It sounds like late 70s Aerosmith. Which is a good thing. :lol:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that "78" cut! Nicely punk/sleezifide goodness. Mike definately has the skills and should be a MUCH bigger rock star than he is.

The cover is really cool imho. Can't wait to snapthis one up!

Oh and Keith, don't forget Mike's contribution to your favorite Warrior Soul record Chill Pill...

Oh and Keith, don't forget Mike's contribution to your favorite Warrior Soul record Chill Pill...

:rofl: That's right, he made some random saxophone noises on that record didn't he? I'd forgotten about that.

:rofl: That's right, he made some random saxophone noises on that record didn't he? I'd forgotten about that.

For good reasons. :)

For good reasons. :)

I might be alone but I liked Chill Pill.

Here's the song for your listening pleasure:

Some of you folks more into AOR might enjoy this one as well. One of my very fave songs of the year!

Not a bad tune. I have to admit it wouldn't make me seek it out for my Ipod and definitely won't entice me to check out the full CD either. :( Yeah, sadly this dood did his dash with me a long time ago with that CD with 'Man with no eyes' - 'Not fakin' it,' wasn't it? Not an awful album, but definitely not for me.

I might be alone but I liked Chill Pill.

I like certain tracks on Chill Pill but it absolutely pales in comparison to the gorgeousness and gorgeousity of, say, LAST DECADE DEAD CENTURY and especially SALUTATIONS FROM THE GHETTON NATION :bowdown:

Back on the Michael Monroe topic, his Facebook page sez the U.S. release of SENSORY OVERDRIVE is "postponed" but it should be out here sometime this Fall.

• 1 year later...

I picked this one up at Best Buy for under $10 in Arizona last year. Cool disc. Quite a few tracks sound like Ginger/Wildhearts offerings with Monroe on vocals and since I'm a fan of both, that's a good thing imo. Nice to see ex Company of Wolves guitarist Steve Conte turn up here after a stint in the New York Dolls.