Need pics of original Harem Scarem demo CD

heavyharmonies

I've got someone wanting to sell me a copy of the (supposedly) original HS demo CD. I've never personally seen one in hand, but something seems off to me. Was the original demo a pressed disc?

The pictures the guy sent me have the correct cover art when compared to the copy shown at haremscarem.net, *BUT* it has the word "DEMO" in block red letters diagonally across the cover, which doesn't match. There is a liner/promo sheet with the disc in red lettering, as well as a tray card and cover sheet.

The disc itself has handwritten wording on it, which screams CDR to me.

If anyone has pictures of the actual disc and artwork they can post, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan

I have a copy of the original demos that I received in the early 1990's.....they were on CDR and I have attached the artwork for you to view. Later, Frontiers released the Demo collection in 2001 on CD titled "The Early Years".

I hope this helps.....

Delbert

HAREM_SCAREM_LOOKING_BACK_TRAY.jpg

Harem_Scarem_Looking_Back_cover.jpg

Wow. That's a 4th version I've never seen before. That doesn't look anything like the one shown at the HS website. I bet that's a home-grown bootleg. The subtitle "The Demos - Looking Back" isn't something the band would have had on their demo in 1989.

-Dan

You're right....I actually have another old even cruder appearing demo CDR that has a white cover similiar to the first self titled Harem Scarem CD......one thing I'm sure of.....those demos were never made officially on a silver pressed CD until Escape released that disc in 2001......anything prior to that is going to arrive in CDR format.

You're right....I actually have another old even cruder appearing demo CDR that has a white cover similiar to the first self titled Harem Scarem CD......one thing I'm sure of.....those demos were never made officially on a silver pressed CD until Escape released that disc in 2001......anything prior to that is going to arrive in CDR format.

Well, according to the HS website, if its the image below, it's a bootleg.

52-1.jpg

The artwork I'm referring to is this:

51-2.jpg

Interestingly enough, the guy sent me closeups of the inner ring of the CD, and it has the words "HAREM SCAREM" as part of the inner chapter ring, as you would expect to see on a pressed disc. It's not after-market engraving.

Guest Melodic Buzz

Wow Dan. Still even with the photos I'm not sure what to think of that disc. It screams bootleg...but the inner ring thing is a stumper. With as many times as this disc has been faked / re-released / bootlegged I'm not sure I would take a chance on it unless the money was right. I wouldn't spend too much just knowing that all the tunes are already out there and you will hear nothing on this CD that hasn't already been readily available. Just my 2-cents. Best! :drink:

Hey Dan,

This one is 100% the real deal. I only know one person outside of the band who owns an original aside from myself, and he got his from one of the band members. I've checked mine up against his and it's 100% legit. Also mine matches the one you've posted here on HH. Only 50 of these available and who knows how many of the record labels tossed this one back in 1989. My recommendation is to get this thing as soon as possible, you're very likely to not get another chance at it.

Guest Melodic Buzz

Hey Dan,

This one is 100% the real deal. I only know one person outside of the band who owns an original aside from myself, and he got his from one of the band members. I've checked mine up against his and it's 100% legit. Also mine matches the one you've posted here on HH. Only 50 of these available and who knows how many of the record labels tossed this one back in 1989. My recommendation is to get this thing as soon as possible, you're very likely to not get another chance at it.

Well...glad someone can confirm the CD. Good stuff Metal! Still wonder what the value is? I'm not sure I would pay a bundle of money for it...but those who will / do I understand as it is one of only around 50. That's cool!

didn't dan once say he never pays more than $20 for a cd?

so this one must be worth $19.99.

???

Must have me confused with someone else. I've paid upwards of $200 for a couple of the discs in my soundtrack collection, and over $100 for a few in my Maynard collection.

Thats a pretty cool find... If you're a big fan, and the disk is priced right, go for it :headbanger:

To put things into perspective, I've been offered nearly $2,500 for mine. I hope you're getting it for less than that Dan, but if it's less than $1,000 you should definitely be all over it. I paid a bit less than that for mine, but looking back I'd be kicking myself if I didn't fork out the cash I did for it.

Just a quick follow-up, as I've been getting multiple PMs and emails from HH members interested in this disc.

I'm going to try something new here at HH:

The seller has agreed to auction the CD through Heavy Harmonies here on the forum. I've worked out a system that I believe will be fair to all parties concerned, provide transparency to both buyer and seller, and HH will get a commission from the seller for the effort.

If it works out well, I may try to implement a more formalized auction-style mechanism.

I will be posting the formal terms and conditions tonight when I get home.

Because this is a "work in progress", if someone sees anything in the terms that they feel is either unfair or exploitable, let's talk about it. I will state up front that while the seller is willing to sell this disc internationally, there are countries/regions that he does not feel comfortable shipping to, which is his prerogative.

At the very least it will be cool that an HH member gets to buy it!

-Dan

So, why have you decided not to buy the disc Dan?

Any particular reason? (considering that you were in negotiations to buy it)

It's worth more than I'm willing to pay. It would be cool for me, but not essential, as I'm not a diehard HS collector.