VETERAN HARD ROCKERS KING KOBRA ARE BACK WITH A VENOMOUS NEW ALBUM

Ali Rock

From MelodicRock.com:

Frontiers Records is excited to announce the release of the Self-Titled come back album from King Kobra on April 15 in Europe and May 5 in North America.

Formed in 1984 by legendary drummer Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge, Rod Stewart, Ozzy Osbourne), Los Angeles heavy metal outfit King Kobra recorded two critically acclaimed albums for Capitol Records the 1985 release 'Ready to Strike' and 1986's 'Thrill of a Lifetime'.

Along with Carmine, the band featured four relatively unknown musicians at the time David Michael-Philips and Mick Sweda on guitar, Johnny Rod on bass and Mark Free on lead vocals. King Kobra toured the U.S., Canada, Europe and Mexico playing shows with Kiss, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, Ted Nugent, Queensryche and Autograph.

The band was featured regularly on MTV and performed the theme song for the #1 1986 motion picture "Iron Eagle". After disbanding in 1988, each member continued his career in other successful major-label groups - Carmine to Blue Murder (Geffen), Mark Free to Unruly Child (Interscope), Mick Sweda to the BulletBoys (Warner Bros.), Johnny Rod to W.A.S.P. (Capitol/EMI) and David Michael-Philips to Lizzy Borden (Metal Blade).

The year 2010 saw the band reunite the original classic '85 lineup, replacing original singer Mark Free (now Marcie Free) with veteran lead vocalist Paul Shortino (Rough Cutt, Quiet Riot). This album captures all the great points we had in the 80's, but better says Carmine Appice The music is more traditional King Kobra music. Great lyrics, kick ass songs with cool hooks and really good playing. A really great hard rock/metal record with lots of energy. David Michael-Phillips adds It truly is an all-star album. Paul Shortino is amazing! I can honestly say he is one of the best vocalists in the business along with being one of the nicest and most generous people I have ever met.

The band is planning to get on some targeted American and European summer festivals this year. Watch out: King Kobra is smokin' hot, back stronger than ever and "Ready to Strike" once again!

The new album King Kobra will include the following tracks: Rock This House, Turn Up The Good (Times), Live Forever, Tear Down The Walls, This Is How We Roll, Midnight Woman, We Got A Fever, Tope Of The World, You Make It Easy, Cryin' Turns To Rain, Screamin' For More, Fade Away.

WebLinks: www.frontiers.it / www.myspace.com/frontiersrecords / www.myspace.com/officialkingkobra.

I listened to the samples and I think they smoke. It feels like the snake is back and strike with a vengeance. Shortino sounds more vital than I've heard him in a long time. H e sings his lungs out.

Really looking forward to this release%2

I was excited for a second until I read that Paul Shortino was doing lead vox. I've never kept one thing that he's been involved in. I'll still keep an open mind though when I finally hear some samples.

I'm not a King Kobra fan, but if this is heavy, it's a must for me. Shortino is awesome on the heavier, more upbeat rockers, I just don't like the softer and bluesier stuff he's done. If his voice on this one sounds anything like the first Rough Cutt CD, it's going to rock my world!

Not the world's hugest Shortino fan either, but I don't mind the guy. He's on a bunch of pretty damn fine discs.

I think this actually does sound very promising and I will certainly give it a very interested listen.

Guest Metal Mark

I was excited when I got the press release the other day. Loved Ready to strike, but wasn't as big on the other albums. Liked David Michael Phillips (Henzerling) in his recent project Big Cock and Tunnel too. Huge fan of Mark (Marcie Free), but Paul Shortino could be a good choice. Hope it's better than Hollywood Trash though because it was very weak.

I will be checking this one out as well. Their debut along with III are awesome cd's! As for Shortino, I am exciting about him being w/ the band. One of my favorite albums of all time is RC - Wants You! I also loved the Badd Boyz cd.

• 2 months later...

Any thoughts on this one yet? I thought it was pretty decent. A couple of fillers on board, and the only time the CD really impressed me was with the one commercial / melodic rock track, 'Live forever.' Easily the best on the album, imo. Of the rockers, I like 'Midnight woman' especially, 'On top of the world' is pretty cool as is 'Tear down the walls.' A few good songs, a few poor ones.

Overall, a good effort, though with Shortino on vocals it struggles a little to really sound like a "real" King Kobra CD. Pretty good one, though.

agree, this is one of the lesser albums of 2011, and surprisingly disappointing though not bad at all. They apparently forgot to write great hooks as in 'Thrill' or 'Strike', perhaps 3 songs are great, the rest are pretty passable/average, but need to give this another spin later to see if it's a grower :popcorn:

Some good bits 'Live Forever' being one of them, outweighed by lots of very average ones imo. Only had it a week or so, but not that impressed initially.

• 6 years later...

This album was ok for me.

Live Forever
Cryin' Turns To Rain
Fade Away
Red Flags

were the songs that made the album ok overall, because they are great songs.

The rest was pretty much filler for me.