Recommendation for Retrospect titles

Nightrain

hi all,

i don't know if this an appropriate forum to post, i want to reply on the Buy/Sell forum but looks like I'm still low on post, so to cut things short, can you guys recommend me around 5-6 CDs from the Retrospective collection that's close to my fave bands (motley crue,ratt,GNR,harem scarem)

i have heard Brickyard, Saker and Rage N Rox and I guess they're pretty good, so I need to find another recommendation :)

thanks

I think the best CD I've heard on the label so far is definitely the Defcon - s/t disc.

Some of my other faves, that I would recommend, are:

Alleycat Smile - s/t

Crush - ...This

Far Cry - s/t

Foxx - both

Heaven's Wish - s/t

Hunter - LA Crossfire

Joined Forces - s/t

Mariah - s/t

Masquerade - One Night Stand

Mass - New Birth

Mass - Voices in the night

Pretty Boy - Metro Sessions

Problem Child - Primitive Attitude

Pyramid - both

The Action - Louder than words

The Score - The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Wild Street - s/t

XL New York

If I had to pick 6 from that bunch it'd be:

Defcon - s/t

Joined Forces - s/t

Masquerade - One Night Stand

Pretty Boy - Metro Sessions

... and then two more of your choice. ;)

thanks Geoff, Defcon disc looks enticing, what type of music they play ? is it mid-80s glam metal, or more AOR-ish type ?

i have listened to Joined Forces sample, and if I'm not mistaken, it's HoL's Jimi Bell old band right ?

a good disc, I agree, i will check out the rest :)

btw i have Mariah - somewhere between heaven and earth disc but somehow it's pretty decent IMHO,

don't know if it's the same band as Mariah - s/t, and is it any better than the "heaven" album ?

thanks Geoff, Defcon disc looks enticing, what type of music they play ? is it mid-80s glam metal, or more AOR-ish type ?

i have listened to Joined Forces sample, and if I'm not mistaken, it's HoL's Jimi Bell old band right ?

a good disc, I agree, i will check out the rest :)

btw i have Mariah - somewhere between heaven and earth disc but somehow it's pretty decent IMHO,

don't know if it's the same band as Mariah - s/t, and is it any better than the "heaven" album ?

Yeah, Defcon just play big 80's hard rock style songs. Maybe a comparison would be to something like Heaven's Edge? It would be hard for a follower of this site not to enjoy them, I dare say. Not glam, not AOR... just good melodic / "commercial" hard rock.

Yep, that's Jimi Bell of HOL fame in Joined Forces. I compared that band to a mix of Bulletboys' debut and HOL's 'Sahara.' Very nice.

Honestly, I must admit I am not a huge fan of Mariah either. I'm not that into the 'Heaven and hell' disc either. Their best is easily the debut and it's definitely worth checking out... but even then, there are better CDs on the label. I would pick up Pretty Boy - 'Metro Sessions' in a heartbeat before any Mariah CD. There's a few guys from Mariah in that band before they became Mariah. IMO, better songs and much better sound quality too. :)

I've heard probably 75% of the releases and Geoff's list is a pretty good one.

WildStreet and Alleycat Smile for sure.. and if there are any left.. The Glitter Boys.

I believe the Pretty Boy CD is sold out.

Pretty Boy, Masquerade, Crush, Isom, Defcon, and Fire With Fire would likely be my top 6 Retrospect titles. Isom and Fire With Fire are definitely melodic hard rock (not glam), w/Isom tending toward AOR occasionally, but some of my fav. songs in the RR catalog are on those two discs....O/w, Geoff definitely has you pointed in the right direction w/his other recommendations, of which I especially like the Wildstreet CD :headbanger:

Yeah, I like the Isom and Fire With Fire discs too. The FWF is maybe a little patchy, but the best songs on that CD are very good.

Haven't heard Glitter Boys yet, Dave, but it's in my pile at home to listen to. :)

i guess Pretty Boy was sold out so I need to drop that :D

wildstreet, pretty familiar to me, i guess i've listened to couple of their songs before somewhere, a leppard clone right ?

even though i think the sound production is too raw and the vocal could be better, but yes, a nice band with great songs

@ali_rock : samples are great but there are just way too many bands and way too little time, that's why with the small list like this, things will be easier to sort them out :D

thanks all

The Fierce Heart and Reckless discks are also winners IMO.

I totally forgot about "Fierce Heart," that album rocks beginning to end :party421:

Yeah, both of them are solid releases, I'd have to agree.

I should note, there is a lot of very good stuff on Retrospect... above is just a few of my faves. But I have a huge portion of Retrospect releases in my collection and only about 5-10 have ever found their way to my trade list. :)

i have check out samples and i must admit i am impressed with Defcon, Vyper, Fierce Heart, and The Score disc

while Alleycat Smile, Fire With Fire, XL New York is a bit patchy / weak for me

i need to find time to check out other samples, but looks like they do have a lot of great releases

btw are there any other $6.99 value good recommendation beside above? :D

I thought I'd bought all the Retrospect CDs I need, but I appear to need Defcon, Perennial and maybe Reckless.....

DEFINATELY need that Perennial...

If it was still available I'd highly recommend the Warryor cd. Just killer. They have recently renamed and released a disc under the name Black Tora.

Where's the love for Kelley's Heroes? Probably the best release on the label.

Nice, I just bought that one. Looking forward to hearing it now, with such a glowing recommendation.

well looks like the month of discount is over, finally order a dozen :

BRICKYARD Brickyard

DAMNED NATION Road of Desire

DEFCON Defcon

FIERCE HEART Fierce Heart

HEIST High Heel Heaven

JOINED FORCES Joined Forces

MASS New Birth

PERENNIAL You're The Ones.. In My Dreams

RAGE N ROX Rage N Rox

RECKLESS No Frills

SAKER Saker

STORM, THE Sweet Surrender

still have several other things in mind including Vyper and The Score but both of them needs to wait for the next discount period i guess :D

thanks for the recommendation guys, hopefully all of em are winners

I thought I'd bought all the Retrospect CDs I need, but I appear to need Defcon, Perennial and maybe Reckless.....

DEFINATELY need that Perennial...

If it was still available I'd highly recommend the Warryor cd. Just killer. They have recently renamed and released a disc under the name Black Tora.

The Black Tora disc was released in 2009. To me... one of the top 10 or so released of that year. Everything about that band screams "CLASS". I don't know how hard it is to get now, I've had mine awhile, but everyone should check out BLACK TORA - "Rise Of The Tora".

Don't know if people have noticed... But Retrospect has a few more new releases available.

The first is one I've been waiting for about 2 years now. I would say it has potential to be a favorite Retrospect release for many here.

MEGATON BLONDE... Not much I can say about this one other than "OUTSTANDING".

The other is:

THE PACT - "Rock The Nite"... In one word... "QUALITY".

By releasing both of these gems so early in the year.. Sam is really going to have some high expectations to live up to for the remainder of 2011.

Don't know if people have noticed... But Retrospect has a few more new releases available.

The first is one I've been waiting for about 2 years now. I would say it has potential to be a favorite Retrospect release for many here.

MEGATON BLONDE... Not much I can say about this one other than "OUTSTANDING".

The other is:

THE PACT - "Rock The Nite"... In one word... "QUALITY".

By releasing both of these gems so early in the year.. Sam is really going to have some high expectations to live up to for the remainder of 2011.

Agree on the Megaton Blond! First impressions are that it sounds freakin' awesome! Looks like I'll have to wait til May to get any more CDs, but that will certainly be part of a very carefully constructed list.