The Ashes 2010-2011 .... Official Thread

glam_junkie

Can the pension-plan Aussies defend against the over-confident Poms?

Will experience prove the deciding factor or will youthful exhuberance come to the forefront?

Not long to go until the story starts to unravel.

What are your thoughts?

Who will win?

Who will perform well?

Who will fail?

... will the Poms earn another ticketape parade in an open top bus?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, it should be close. With Australia in their worst form for aeons and England playing reasonably well, it should be our best chance to win in Australia for some time. In Australia's favour, the crowds will give them a huge boost and there is a question mark over whether our bowlers will be able to take wickets in Aussie conditions. My personal worry is that batsmen at the top of the order like Cook and Pietersen who continually fail to deliver will be given too many chances.

I’ll go 3-2 to the Aussies, but I hope I’m wrong.

personally i think england will dominate the series.

the golden age of aussie cricket is gone. no longer have we got gilchrist or symonds to rescue an innings, or mcgrath or warne to break thru the opposition defences on a continuous basis.

i don't think we have the bowlers to dismiss england twice on good pitches (which we will likely have this summer).

I reckon england 2-1 or more likely 3-1.

I think the keys for australia will be hussey and north. Will they fire? and if they don't will the selectors have the balls to drop either of them and bring in callum ferguson.

We desperately need someone to step up in the bowling division, but i can pick anyone who can.

Long summer for the aussie i believe.

It's going to be closer than some of our Aussie friends think it will be. I will be very surprised if the Aussies don't turn up for this, especially as they have home advantage (if they don't, they should be shot, as Cricket doesn't get much bigger than this). Their form has been really poor recently, but you never underestimate a wounded animal. If England fire, then I think they will win, as I think they are overall the better team, althought they have been known to falter at times and I don't totally trust the batting form of some of the big players at the moment, Pietersen and Cook especially. Englands bowlers are better than the Aussies for sure, but as James says, it all depends on how long the ball will swing, especially for Anderson, who is our main strike bowler. If it doesn't do much, he will struggle. I have big hopes for Swann, as he is one, if not THE best spinner at the moment and expect him to take quite a few wickets in this series. Bare in mind we are one bowler short aswell, as we have extended out batting lineup, so I hope this gamble pays off. Should be a great series anyway, although I won't see half of it because of the time ist is on over here in the UK.

I've never claimed to know that much about cricket, but I will try to follow this as best I can. From an "outsider"s point of view these would be my thoughts:

I also think, with much bitter regret, that England will win comfortably.

One thing you can count on is that the Aussies will most certainly "turn up" as best they can. No doubt about it. Just from what I'm seeing at the moment, I don't think it'll be god enough. There's really not much good going for them at the moment.

I do hope the Aussies do make something of it, but I do predict an easy win for those filthy, filthy, filthy, filthy poms. And it'll only add another dollop of cream onto the cake of my distaste for them. ;)

I do predict an easy win for those filthy, filthy, filthy, filthy poms. And it'll only add another dollop of cream onto the cake of my distaste for them. ;)

Hey, we love you too! ;)

My mate's over there for the entire series, he comes back sometime in Feb I think, then after a couple of weeks jets off another holiday!!!

He's a millionaire, right?

if all the reports are right, the first test will be won with the toss. Apparently a very green pitch, which will greatly favour the bowlers to begin with.

Can only hope the aussies win the toss and bowl.

If this is true, it's almost laughable. Not saying that English pitches are any better, but a 5-day sporting event of this significance being decided on a coin toss?

if all the reports are right, the first test will be won with the toss. Apparently a very green pitch, which will greatly favour the bowlers to begin with.

Can only hope the aussies win the toss and bowl.

If this is true, it's almost laughable. Not saying that English pitches are any better, but a 5-day sporting event of this significance being decided on a coin toss?

I believe they have had a a bit of rain in the last few days which hasn't helped the preparation of the pitch. Even today it's forecast to be 26'C with showers. In saying that, i may mean it'll be more suited to the English that it is the Aussies. Plenty of movement likely with moisture in the pitch and in the air.

Consumate batting from Ian Bell ably supported by Cook and Pietersen especially looked really dangerous. The rest were pretty poor and are going to have to 'get with it' pretty quick, otherwise this one will be dead and buried. About 100-150 runs short today in my view. Siddle was excellent and just proves that if you stick to the rules of good bowling, ie. a good line and length, wickets will come. I will say that the other Aussie bowlers were pretty poor also, so a good job Siddle turned up for the party. A big win for the Aussies on day one.

Big day. And from what i saw it was not due to the pitch that the wickets were falling, more to do with good bowling.

Although keep in mind, there have been a few aussie domestic matches played at the same ground this year, and scores have been incredibly small. Sides being bundled out for under 100 on numerous occassions. Not sure what's been going on at the ground, but don't be surprised if the scores a re low all round.

Big day. And from what i saw it was not due to the pitch that the wickets were falling, more to do with good bowling.

Although keep in mind, there have been a few aussie domestic matches played at the same ground this year, and scores have been incredibly small. Sides being bundled out for under 100 on numerous occassions. Not sure what's been going on at the ground, but don't be surprised if the scores a re low all round.

Fingers crossed there's been a collapse by the time I wake up tomorrow morning! :D

Aussies in a good position, but scoring slowly. An interesting contest...

2 or 3 wickets early'ish tomorrow and things will be very interesting. Need to get Hussey out quickly as he is playing well. A good little fight back from England today.

I hate saying it, but well batted Hussey and Haddin. England also bowled really well today without getting anything for it. England firmly under the cosh I'm afraid, so unless a miracle happpens over the next 2 days,it will be Aussies 1 England 0

Next please.

My mate's over there for the entire series, he comes back sometime in Feb I think, then after a couple of weeks jets off another holiday!!!

He's a millionaire, right?

Nah! But no mortgage helps..haha!

don't count england out yet. still a day of really good batting conditions to go, and if england can get a lead of 150-200 they'll have something to bowl at on a 5th day pitch.

Well the miracle did happen :bananamac: - brilliant batting from Strauss and Cook, so a draw looks like it is on the cards. Great day for England.