The Ashes 2010-2011 .... Official Thread

glam_junkie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was unbelievable. Saw most of England's last innings and like you, Lindsay, I saw those wickets topple quickly yesterday.

I feel bad for having had such little faith in the Aussies just a week ago, but seriously, who could have seen that coming? I'm going to miss a lot of what happens from now on due to my having 2 full weeks off over Christmas, but I might even pick up a paper here and there on my travels to see how we go. It'll be so interesting to see how the next one goes...

You think maybe england got ahead of themselves?

No, I think you lot completely underestimated yourselves as I keep on saying

Yeah backed....all ive read so far from Aussies all over the net is how shite their team is and that they didnt expect to be in with a chance??

Funny old game cricket........

Pressure is on the Aussies now though, cos if we win the next test we retain whatever........

Will be interesting.

KP has a massive knock, then lets us down badly with only 3 in the next match. Is anyone else completely unsurprised by this?

KP has a massive knock, then lets us down badly with only 3 in the next match. Is anyone else completely unsurprised by this?

Everyone has good and bad days in this game, that's the way it goes and KP is no different, although giving his wicket away with a stupid shot like that doesn't help matters. Apart from his big 200 in the last game, he hasn't been in form at all for a while now, so until he completely hits his stride, he is going to be a bit inconsistent.

There is absolutely no need for panic just because we have lost one game. Just as The Aussies don't turn into a great side overnight, neither do we turn into a bad one. Besides Hussey and Watson and Ian Bell, all the batsmen on both sides struggled in this game - the highest team score being just over 300, which is no great shakes for any side to be honest. England bowled consistently pretty well although no spin for Swann cancelled him out, whereas besides Johnson (who you can't rely on from one game to the next) and an excellent performance by the much more consistent Harris, the Aussies weren't great. The way it stands at the moment overall from the last 3 tests, is that England are playing a much better team game, with everyone chipping in batting and the bowling, whereas the Aussies are relying on one or two players in each area to get them to the mark - in some games that pays off, like the last game, but in the other 2 Tests they were woefully outplayed.

Everyone has good and bad days in this game, that's the way it goes and KP is no different, although giving his wicket away with a stupid shot like that doesn't help matters. Apart from his big 200 in the last game, he hasn't been in form at all for a while now, so until he completely hits his stride, he is going to be a bit inconsistent.

There is absolutely no need for panic just because we have lost one game. Just as The Aussies don't turn into a great side overnight, neither do we turn into a bad one. Besides Hussey and Watson and Ian Bell, all the batsmen on both sides struggled in this game - the highest team score being just over 300, which is no great shakes for any side to be honest. England bowled consistently pretty well although no spin for Swann cancelled him out, whereas besides Johnson (who you can't rely on from one game to the next) and an excellent performance by the much more consistent Harris, the Aussies weren't great. The way it stands at the moment overall from the last 3 tests, is that England are playing a much better team game, with everyone chipping in batting and the bowling, whereas the Aussies are relying on one or two players in each area to get them to the mark - in some games that pays off, like the last game, but in the other 2 Tests they were woefully outplayed.

Yeah, I agree. The Aussie victory was a beautiful thing but I think people are getting a little carried away now saying the Aussies are favourites and they have a good chance to go on and win it. I am surely hoping to see this happen but let us not forget what has happened in two out of the three matches played so far. The Aussies were on fire (Well, as Jez points out, a handful of Aussies were on fire :)) in the last test and the English were down on form, but I'd painfully have to agree that overall the English have been the better side of the series, thus far.

I have some new-found hope that the Aussies can make a contest out of it, though (which I did not have before), so we'll see what happens in the next one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this Test is all over, I just hope it doesn't rain in Melbourne. The first day may have been the best day for England (and the worst for the Aussies) in Ashes history! Of course, the Australian pundits will say how poor the home team is, so England won't get a lot of praise...

BTW, forecast says it won't rain; but how bizarre is this? Predicted temperature for the next few days in Melbourne:

Wed 24

Thur 22

Fri 40

Sat 19

Sun 17

:omg:

What's up with that? A one-day heatwave!

congrats to the poms for humiliating us in the last test and thereby retaining the ashes.

the series is still up fro grabs though so hoping the poms haven't celebrated too hard and come out to play in the 5th test. I'm assuming they'll be coming out looking to win the series.

here's hoping whatever the f**k happens in the final test, it is close! Have we ever had a competitive test this series....?!?!!? they seem to be pretty onsided affairs this series, even then the draw.

pretty sure going back to my predictions on page 1, i was pretty accurate in my thoughts.

I said england 2-1 or 3-1 from memory, which is pretty likely looking to happen.

A drawn series would definitely flatter the aussies.

Completely open final Test, Day One has told us nothing. I hope England can win it, this is a very rare opportunity to win a Series in Australia. Apart from the terrible performance in the 3rd Test, we've dominated a poor Aussie side, so a win would seem the right result.

What a f**king joke the Bell review was....

The umpire gave him out.

Bell knew he hit it. Just walk you cockhead.

Yet he referred it...

... the replay availalbe to the 3rd umpire was inconclusive so he referred it back to the umpire in teh middle who then changed his decision. WTF?

Hang on.... when the decision gets referred back to the umpire in teh middle the original decision stands. How the hell did he change his mind?

I agree with the commnetators who said the 'hot'spot' showed a tiny edge for a frame or 2.

And 'snicko' clearly indetified an edge.

What a load a bullshit as such a time in the match.

And Bell you cheating bastard!

I understand a batsman standing his ground and waiting for the umpires decision, but to dispite the decision when it was clearly out... F**k off you c*nt!

What a f**king joke the Bell review was....

The umpire gave him out.

Bell knew he hit it. Just walk you cockhead.

Yet he referred it...

... the replay availalbe to the 3rd umpire was inconclusive so he referred it back to the umpire in teh middle who then changed his decision. WTF?

Hang on.... when the decision gets referred back to the umpire in teh middle the original decision stands. How the hell did he change his mind?

I agree with the commnetators who said the 'hot'spot' showed a tiny edge for a frame or 2.

And 'snicko' clearly indetified an edge.

What a load a bullshit as such a time in the match.

And Bell you cheating bastard!

I understand a batsman standing his ground and waiting for the umpires decision, but to dispite the decision when it was clearly out... F**k off you c*nt!

All of this is true, but none of it matters. Sure we've had one or two minor decisions go our way but frankly the biggest slices of luck have gone Australia's way in terms of the terrible wickets in the 1st and 3rd tests that have allowed them to scrape a draw and a win out of a series in which they've been totally outplayed. A wicket that allows a team to score 517 for the loss of 1 wicket over 3 days is never ever going to see a result in a 5-day game, and is ridiculous. Even with Aussies tailoring wickets to suit themselves, and with Ricky Ponting's gamesmanship, they've been totally crushed in all areas, so the fact it could end-up 2-1 instead of 5-0 is way more than any of them deserve IMHO. And after all the Aussie press comments about Alistair Cook, to see him smash 700 runs against them is hilarious!

I agree that Bell should have walked, although talking of sportsmanship, what about claiming a catch when the ball bounces in front of you and the batsman is on 99? That takes some beating!

I wonder if Strauss will be bold and tell the last batsmen to smash the ball around tomorrow to score some quick runs so we can have another crack at the Aussie batsmen? It doesn't really matter if the wickets fall for another 10 runs. Would be great to see us really go for the win.

I agree that Bell should have walked, although talking of sportsmanship, what about claiming a catch when the ball bounces in front of you and the batsman is on 99? That takes some beating!

watch it again....

he is definitely unsure as to whether he caught it, as is haddin behind the stumps. the people celebrating are the ones who were far from the ball. Hugh's definitely introduces doubt into the decision by his reaction.

he definitely does not celebrate like he's got him out.

as i said, i don't mind standing your ground and hopefully the umpires decision goes your way, but when you are given out (and you are out) i can't see how someone would have the nerve to appeal the decision to hope for a technical reprieve.

apart from that, i do not know how the umpire changed his decison based on the fact that the 3rd umpire returned it to back to the central umpire.... WHO GAVE HIM OUT.

they definitey need to refine this 3rd umpire thing.

another example is the beer vs cook decision, which by review was 100% correct (cook was not out), but if they umpire saw the 'no ball' why didnt he call it? there's no point in calling it after the fact... if you see it... call it.

Even with Aussies tailoring wickets to suit themselves, and with Ricky Ponting's gamesmanship, they've been totally crushed in all areas,

i don;t know where the english press have got this idea from.

since when have green wickets given an advantage to the aussies over the poms!?!?!!?!

i'm sure the aussies would prefer dry, fast, bouncy pitches.... and the english would prefer the green seaming pitches that have been served up.

please tell me how the green pitches have advanteged the aussies since we haven't had a seamer or swing bowler since paul riefel or terry alderman.

the english press are claiming the pitches are better for the aussies. i would say the exact opposite....

Even with Aussies tailoring wickets to suit themselves, and with Ricky Ponting's gamesmanship, they've been totally crushed in all areas,

since when have green wickets given an advantage to the aussies over the poms!?!?!!?!

i'm sure the aussies would prefer dry, fast, bouncy pitches.... and the english would prefer the green seaming pitches that have been served up.

please tell me how the green pitches have advanteged the aussies since we haven't had a seamer or swing bowler since paul riefel or terry alderman.

the english press are claiming the pitches are better for the aussies. i would say the exact opposite....

Because the only thing the Aussies have going for them is their still half-decent batting line-up, and presumably they thought they could out-bat England (which historically hasnt been that hard to do). Plus they wanted to negate Swann who was (according to the Aussie press) our best player. All that's happened is Jimmy Anderson has steam-rolled through the line-up instead of Swann...

Because the only thing the Aussies have going for them is their still half-decent batting line-up, and presumably they thought they could out-bat England (which historically hasnt been that hard to do). Plus they wanted to negate Swann who was (according to the Aussie press) our best player. All that's happened is Jimmy Anderson has steam-rolled through the line-up instead of Swann...

You are totally defeating your own argument here.

If the groundsmen wanted to assist the aussie batsmen then the last thing they would do would be to produce green seaming pitches. Green pitches are the nightmare of batsmen, especially against someone like the english who would play on these sorts of pitches far more often than the aussies ever would, and have a far superior bowling attack.

You argument just doesn't hold. Maybe the english media have drummed that into your head so much this series that you're actually starting to believe it.

Good to hear Clarke saying he doesn't think Bell is a cheat, whether he believes it or not. I wonder if Ponting would have been quite so restrained! Sounds like a decent bloke, I reckon he'll make a good captain.

Good to hear Clarke saying he doesn't think Bell is a cheat, whether he believes it or not. I wonder if Ponting would have been quite so restrained! Sounds like a decent bloke, I reckon he'll make a good captain.

I don't think Clarke did himself many favours here. Poor decision to bat initially as the pitch is now playing better than on day one (everyone knew it would), although with England doubling Australia's score on the same pitch it's hard to argue they would have won regardless. Though batting to save a game after fielding for so long (650 runs) must be tough and pretty tiring giving them no chance of really saving it, so ultimately that decision probably had a big impact. There also seemed to be a lack of leadership/risk-taking throughout - almost seemed like they'd given up at times. Despite his poor form, Ponting is a good captain IMO and they miss him hugely...

Atleast we had a close 20-20 match.

poms are the best at this form of the game. Having Swan come in at No. 10 would probably be one of the stongest batting lien ups i've seen in a while.

Anyone know why COllingwood felt so cheated whe he was out?

Is was like he didin't think he hit the ball, whereas in reality it came straight of the face of the bat..

• 4 years later...

Well, I hate to be that guy and speak only ill of my team, after a delightfully comprehensive Ashes win just last year on Australian soil, but seriously, at the moment I could not be more ashamed of our team.

If I was England (the cricket team, lol) I'd be tempted to declare now (2/93) and just dismiss the useless fucks that is the Aussie team for another 50-60 runs, and then just chase down the 100 odd runs with their last innings, and have the Ashes wrapped up on the first day of the 4th match. It would be the ultimate humiliation and exactly what these clowns deserve.

I do like these guys and it's obviously just a moment in time, but what a pathetic bunch of fucks they have looked like today. Highest score of 13? There's no one you can single out either; the team as a whole are a disgrace. It's been a shameful showing from the Aussies in this series bar that 2nd match, and definitely a series they'll want to forget quickly. Fancy having lost the entire series before the first tea break on the first day of a match? To go to England and lose an Ashes series is nothing to be ashamed of, in a well contested series, but this is something to be very ashamed of. Bitterly disappointed in the Aussie team today, and I feel sorry for the Aussie fans who wasted their time and money to travel over to the UK to see this rubbish...

Congrats to the Brits on a well deserved series win. Shame the Aussies were unable to create a spectacle for any of the fans...

Yep..the Aussies have been very poor in all departments in this series so far, except the 2nd test, where they were better, but only because it was a completely flat wicket laid on for them, which they will beat most sides on any day of the week. England have also played brilliantly and totally outplayed them in all departments and used the wickets and conditions to their advantage, with a relatively new team that, 6 months ago, we're pretty woeful as well, but now, are mostly all playing at the top of their game. With Anderson, Broad, Finn and Wood, they definitely have one of the best bowling attacks in the world, which will give any team problems.

It's glaringly obvious that the Aussies aren't 'together' as a team the same as the English are and how they have got to be number two in the world for test matches with this team of players is beyond belief. Unlike days of old, no one is scared to play them anymore and for good reason. I also think that their coach isn't really that great either and add that to bad captaincy from Clarke, who is completely out of form, bad team selection from the selectors, especially in this test match, and a team that it seems, can't play a swinging ball on an English wicket. Looks like another Ashes victory for the English, which over the last 10 years is becoming a bit of a regular occurance I'm pleased to say ;)