The Ashes 2010-2011 .... Official Thread

glam_junkie

So you guys are the experts on the game - has there ever been a series this pointless, uncompetitive and one-sided before? If we're honest for a minute here it looks like the Aussies caught the Poms by surprise in that first innings in the first test and scored a few sneaky runs... but honestly, there is no contest at all at the moment. Australia's first innings dismissal was pretty straightforward, but more to the point, they have not shown one single iota of ability to dismiss English batsmen in the last two English innings. The match and the path it takes it totally 100% in England's hands.

I've caught a few of the last few Ashes series and it's always been an interesting duel, but this is so one-sided it's embarrassing. It's like watching England try to beat Australia in the rugby league! ;):lol:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you guys are the experts on the game - has there ever been a series this pointless, uncompetitive and one-sided before? If we're honest for a minute here it looks like the Aussies caught the Poms by surprise in that first innings in the first test and scored a few sneaky runs... but honestly, there is no contest at all at the moment. Australia's first innings dismissal was pretty straightforward, but more to the point, they have not shown one single iota of ability to dismiss English batsmen in the last two English innings. The match and the path it takes it totally 100% in England's hands.

I've caught a few of the last few Ashes series and it's always been an interesting duel, but this is so one-sided it's embarrassing. It's like watching England try to beat Australia in the rugby league! ;):lol:

...Or watching England bash the Aussies at proper Rugby ;)

Bash, bash and a bash bash bash, it's the England 4 show. England totally on top and the Aussies completely clueless.

Geoff - no series against the Aussies is pointless, as this is as big a competition as Cricket gets. In a way, bar the last few years, this is how England have felt playing you lot for the last 20 years, except '05 and '09, so time to continue getting our own back ;). No one in the Aussie team are particularly bad players, but obviously when under pressure and up against real quality opposition, the shortfalls are becoming more and more apparent, 834-3? over the last 2 innings - no arguments there then. The bowling is toothless and obvious, Batting is very average (except Hussey and Haddin) and Pontings captaincy is cluelsss. Saying that, England are playing superbly well at the moment (which is nice to be able to say), so full credit to them also. Just hope for an England batting collapse or the alleged rain that is on the way come Sunday.

Pietersen dishing out yet another tonking to the inept bowlers. Rain forecast on and off or the next 2 days, so unless England can bowl the Aussies out in a day or so, this could turn out to be the greatest escape since Steve Mcqueen jumped the wire. :doh:

...Or watching England bash the Aussies at proper Rugby ;)

Bash, bash and a bash bash bash, it's the England 4 show. England totally on top and the Aussies completely clueless.

Geoff - no series against the Aussies is pointless, as this is as big a competition as Cricket gets. In a way, bar the last few years, this is how England have felt playing you lot for the last 20 years, except '05 and '09, so time to continue getting our own back ;). No one in the Aussie team are particularly bad players, but obviously when under pressure and up against real quality opposition, the shortfalls are becoming more and more apparent, 834-3? over the last 2 innings - no arguments there then. The bowling is toothless and obvious, Batting is very average (except Hussey and Haddin) and Pontings captaincy is cluelsss. Saying that, England are playing superbly well at the moment (which is nice to be able to say), so full credit to them also. Just hope for an England batting collapse or the alleged rain that is on the way come Sunday.

I'd also chip in that until fairly recently, Australia were basically unbeatable. Even their second team would probably have beaten any other side. I remember players like Di Venuto and Law being among the very best in the English county championship, yet they couldn't get into the Aussie Test team. It's about time that we can give them a game.

Well the reverse is certainly not appreciated on these shores. :lol: Yeah, good luck to you guys. There's no question how this series will go and it'll be well deserved. I just hope Aussie cricket doesn't take long to recover. I admit it got a little repetitive to watch at one stage because, as you say, the Aussies were pretty much unbeatable. It took a bit of the interest and suspense out of the game. But on the flipside it's even more unbearable to watch when they're not even competitive. A nice, exciting balance would be nice.

As for the rain, I half hope it brings a draw but in all honesty everyone knows the deserved result so we may as well see it played out.

The way the weather is these days, I'd be surprised to see any full 5 days played rain free... aside from the first test. ;) The weather in Sydney will be anyone's guess.

Actually, the last thing the batsmen would want is to have a bit of rain here and there where they have to go on and off the field all day. Having to re-start your innings every hour would no doubt be the worst situation for the aussie batsmen.

Either a good dose of sunshine, where the batters can put their best foot forward, or if it's gonna rain.... then pour so as not to annoy everyone on and off the field.

I must say, VERY surprising to see england go back into bat this morning. I think they are definitely not going to leave the aussies a hope in hell of pulling a positive result as we saw by their batting in the first test and now this one. Seems like they are erring on the side of caution. Actually, a mile on the side of caution.......

I must say, VERY surprising to see england go back into bat this morning. I think they are definitely not going to leave the aussies a hope in hell of pulling a positive result as we saw by their batting in the first test and now this one. Seems like they are erring on the side of caution. Actually, a mile on the side of caution.......

Wow, really? As noted previously I do not have TV or radio here so that's the first I've heard of it. To be frank that seems really stupid to me. That's pretty much forcing a draw, isn't it? At least if England let the Aussies get their batting efforts out the way they can either finish it up then and there by the end of the Aussie innings, or they hope to still have ample time to belt out 20 or 50 runs before the end of day 5 in order to top the Aussies' score?

Whatever the case, it makes no sense to me to go in to bat again when time is of the essence.

Could it be the series is actually drawn on ill-placed fear rather than won courtesy of superiority on the pitch?

What are you guys talking about ?? :unsure: Rocket science ? ;)

6 wickets tomorrow before the rain comes. Could be tight.

Obviously if it pays off for them today it'll turn out to be okay for you guys, but what do you reckon at the moment, mate? A bit over-indulgent to go in and bat again yesterday?

In all honesty, I think if the rain holds off for a few hours you guys should be right... but as you say it's going to be freakin' tight.

6 wickets tomorrow before the rain comes. Could be tight.

Obviously if it pays off for them today it'll turn out to be okay for you guys, but what do you reckon at the moment, mate? A bit over-indulgent to go in and bat again yesterday?

In all honesty, I think if the rain holds off for a few hours you guys should be right... but as you say it's going to be freakin' tight.

Not really mate - they only batted for another 40 odd minutes and broke more records getting over 600. If it comes down to us running out of time with only one wicket left to take, then I'll eat my words ;)

If we can get Hussey & North and Haddin earlyish, then shouldn't be a problem getting the rest. Money is definitely on England ,but stranger things have happened.

If it goes all day, then 6 wickets will not be a worry for the englishmen.

Rain is not due here until after lunchtime today, so pretty sure there will be plenty of time to ahve a good go at the aussie batsmen.

What would make it real interesting is if the aussies can actually put on a little bit of a lead even say 50-70 runs and then see the poms come out to get them as it starts to rain.... Not that they won't get them, it'd just be an interesting, frantic end to the test.

pretty sure england have got this. couple of very quick wickets...

How far off is the rain?

too far off.

looks a few hours away.

just lost 4 /9 including 3/0.

They were 5/286 one minute and then 9/295 a few mimutes later.

Goodbye North.

Goodbye Katich (injured)

Hello Furgeson

Hello ....?

they only batted for another 40 odd minutes and broke more records getting over 600.

and records is what it is all about! :D

Destruction pysically and morally is what it is all about, so both of those covered then ;)

How about a 'Well played England' from the Aussies for a change. :whistle:

from day 1 i've said.....

personally i think england will dominate the series.

i don't think we have the bowlers to dismiss england

I reckon england 2-1 or more likely 3-1.

Long summer for the aussie i believe.

england have completely outplayed aussies but i'ts been expected since before a ball was bowled, so it's hard to heap praise when it's what was expected.

To be honest, all I have mostly read is the negativity regarding the Aussies team, and how oh so one sided it is, rather than how well England played. Even I've have to pinch myself on occassions as to how well they have done.

As was said at the beginning of this thread, over here it is expected that it will be a close series and not a one sided one. After this thrashing, that may change alot of peoples opinions, but I for one still remain cautious with 3 to play. It would also be nice to see the Aussie crowd getting behind their team a bit more, as the last 3 days have been shockingly bad for home support. You don't give up on your team 2 days into a test match (or write them off from the word go for that matter) as anything can happen. All moral victories for us I suppose.

To be honest, all I have mostly read is the negativity regarding the Aussies team, and how oh so one sided it is, rather than how well England played. Even I've have to pinch myself on occassions as to how well they have done.

As was said at the beginning of this thread, over here it is expected that it will be a close series and not a one sided one. After this thrashing, that may change alot of peoples opinions, but I for one still remain cautious with 3 to play. It would also be nice to see the Aussie crowd getting behind their team a bit more, as the last 3 days have been shockingly bad for home support. You don't give up on your team 2 days into a test match (or write them off from the word go for that matter) as anything can happen. All moral victories for us I suppose.

Excellent post, 100% agree.

I certainly did not expect to win in Australia and I still have reservations about the remaining Tests. Cook and Pietersen have scored well, but only a few months ago were not scoring runs and looking like being dropped for the Ashes. Bell scored well too, but we know he can be a very inconsistent player; capable of classy innings as well as very short ones. Strauss is a worry with the bat, but his captaincy seems strong. So we have a batting line up that scored over 600, but could on a bad day be out for 200.

Regardless, with the batterings England have taken from the Aussies over the last few decades, for us it just doesn't matter whether a good performance in Australia was expected or not. It is still something to celebrate wildly, with copious amounts of beer and noise. If we win a Series in Australia it will be a historic event. In years to come, when you’ve regrouped and got back to kicking our arses, we’ll still be talking about the win, not how poor Australia were.

That’s all fantasy stuff at the moment though, it’s still anybody’s Series.

Excellent post, 100% agree.

I certainly did not expect to win in Australia and I still have reservations about the remaining Tests. Cook and Pietersen have scored well, but only a few months ago were not scoring runs and looking like being dropped for the Ashes. Bell scored well too, but we know he can be a very inconsistent player; capable of classy innings as well as very short ones. Strauss is a worry with the bat, but his captaincy seems strong. So we have a batting line up that scored over 600, but could on a bad day be out for 200.

Regardless, with the batterings England have taken from the Aussies over the last few decades, for us it just doesn't matter whether a good performance in Australia was expected or not. It is still something to celebrate wildly, with copious amounts of beer and noise. If we win a Series in Australia it will be a historic event. In years to come, when you’ve regrouped and got back to kicking our arses, we’ll still be talking about the win, not how poor Australia were.

That’s all fantasy stuff at the moment though, it’s still anybody’s Series.

by all means.... celebrate all you want. i was just saying these were the sorts of results we were expecting based on the recent form of the aussies. not saying that takes away from the english performaces, but they haven't exactly knocked the #1 test nation off their perch. As far i i'm aware we're ranked #5 thesedays, with you guys ranked #4.

your team is ranked higher, has been in far better form, performed exceptional in all their tour matches prior to the tests, have a team with many in their prime of their careers.... so are you really surprised that you are winning these matches?

i was hoping to see a bit more fight from the aussies with these being 'the ashes' but the english have been waaaay to good.