Airheads soundtrack question

heavyharmonies

In the movie "Airheads", the band "Suns of Thunder" started playing a track onstage, "Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful", that sounded like it would have awesome hooks (despite the band/song being trashed by the main characters of the movie).

The song, or what little portion we hear, was performed by The Galactic Cowboys. The references I see in Wikipedia, etc., claim that this song was never released anywhere.

So here's the question: does the song exist in its complete form? If so, where? I'd love to hear the full version.

-Dan

P.S. What a stupid, yet incredibly awesome movie. Beginning of the song can be caught in this clip from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9JyMPI4dNM&feature=related

Its in my direct knowledge(some of you know how I have this knowledge, others dont!) that music tracks being added to a motion picture, after copyrights and royaltys are arbitrated, must be completed, mastered, and arrive sealed and unopened in their master form, to the audio\sound department of the licensed production company, in their entirety, where they are most often, remixed, cut up, and\or striped of a vocal track, to give an all instrumental mix in which if it's a song that plays a big part in a movie(Ala Blazing Saddles)can be used as background, opening credits, and\or closing credits music, I would have to say if the Galactic Cowboys set up, rehearsed, then tracked a song from middle chorus, into middle of verse 2, then mixed it and were done, I would take my fist, spit on it twice, then stick it up my ass, a whole song was almost 99.9% surely done for the part, it was just remixed into a small segment out of the complete track! I just made all that up, sounds pretty authentic, doesnt it?

Its in my direct knowledge(some of you know how I have this knowledge, others dont!) that music tracks being added to a motion picture, after copyrights and royaltys are arbitrated, must be completed, mastered, and arrive sealed and unopened in their master form, to the audio\sound department of the licensed production company, in their entirety, where they are most often, remixed, cut up, and\or striped of a vocal track, to give an all instrumental mix in which if it's a song that plays a big part in a movie(Ala Blazing Saddles)can be used as background, opening credits, and\or closing credits music, I would have to say if the Galactic Cowboys set up, rehearsed, then tracked a song from middle chorus, into middle of verse 2, then mixed it and were done, I would take my fist, spit on it twice, then stick it up my ass, a whole song was almost 99.9% surely done for the part, it was just remixed into a small segment out of the complete track! I just made all that up, sounds pretty authentic, doesnt it?

You had me at hello.

You had me at hello.

I'm more amazed at the fact that you openly admit he's had you at all

Here's what Monty told me:

yeah, we recorded a whole song, but I don't know anyone who has a copy of it. Wish I did. I'd love to play it on my podcast.

So, somebody somewhere has a copy of the entire song...maybe one day it'll surface on some GC remasters or something as a bonus track...

P.S. What a stupid, yet incredibly awesome movie.

It really is a great flick. Unfortunately it came out at exactly the WRONG time in music (1994) when the "hair metal" it was championing was way out of date. If it had come out in 1990 it probably would've been more successful @ the box office. Makes you wonder how long the script was sitting on someone's desk in Hollywood before it got the green light.

• 3 weeks later...

P.S. What a stupid, yet incredibly awesome movie.

It really is a great flick. Unfortunately it came out at exactly the WRONG time in music (1994) when the "hair metal" it was championing was way out of date. If it had come out in 1990 it probably would've been more successful @ the box office. Makes you wonder how long the script was sitting on someone's desk in Hollywood before it got the green light.

I may have this wrong, but I believe the movie wouldn't have worked had it came out in 1990. I watched it right after it came out and hadn't really thought about it much since. It happened to be on a couple months ago so I watched a few minutes of it. I believe that I caught the gist of it. The movie was about bands like theirs facing a stacked deck so they decide to do something about it. They point out that the station has all kinds of cool music, but they won't play it. I also believe that Brendan Frasers character even said something to the extent of, "Don't tell me you bought into that Seattle thing." All of the things they are complaining about was what was happening at that time. It wouldn't have made sense in 1990. What excuse would they have had to take over a radio station? Pretty Boy Floyd got signed and they didn't? Their style of music was still viable and they would have had a chance to make it.

Just to clarify something with Pretty Boy Floyd.

Firstly, they may have got signed, but MCA then withdrew any support, even going as far as to cancel a planned tour.

They did though get a degree of rotation on MTV, but without the record label paying MTV to play it more, it was never going to expose them on a wider scale.

MCA had a history of signing 80s rock bands, then fucking them over.

MCA had a history of signing 80s rock bands, then fucking them over.

Yes they did just see my old thread "major label minor success".

I believe a very high amount of the bands talked about in that thread were MCA bands.

• 4 years later...

Dredging up a 5-year old topic to see if anyone has ever been able to track down a copy of this song... it's GOTTA exist somewhere.

Dan if you will do a little research as I don't have the time, and tell me who did the sound for the movie, I will use my wide array (3) inside connections in the sound and audio arm of the Major Motion Picture Industry, all fucking around aside, I really will do some tracking, and make a few emails, might even get lucky, if it happens to be a company that I have easy info from via one of my friends in the biz, I sure can beat down a few doors finding out, heres another avenue I will also try, what label were the Cowboys signed to the year they did that song for Airheads?? if someone can find that out for me, we can ask the label, since anything they did would have had to go through their label regardless of anything else on the planet, or maybe someone could even take that task off my hands for me, and i'll ask around after I get the info on the movie shit, If you don't want to get the info for me, anyone, I guess I will look it up myself when I get a little time to send the emails, so really anyone who can get that info, would be helping me do it faster, we can figure this shit out, no problem guys.

I assume the sound/production company would be listed in the rolling end credits of the movie, which unfortunately I do not have a copy of.

From IMDB:

Production Companies Distributors Other Companies

Dredging up a 5-year old topic to see if anyone has ever been able to track down a copy of this song... it's GOTTA exist somewhere.

Dan if you will do a little research as I don't have the time, and tell me who did the sound for the movie, I will use my wide array (3) inside connections in the sound and audio arm of the Major Motion Picture Industry, all fucking around aside, I really will do some tracking, and make a few emails, might even get lucky, if it happens to be a company that I have easy info from via one of my friends in the biz, I sure can beat down a few doors finding out, heres another avenue I will also try, what label were the Cowboys signed to the year they did that song for Airheads?? if someone can find that out for me, we can ask the label, since anything they did would have had to go through their label regardless of anything else on the planet, or maybe someone could even take that task off my hands for me, and i'll ask around after I get the info on the movie shit, If you don't want to get the info for me, anyone, I guess I will look it up myself when I get a little time to send the emails, so really anyone who can get that info, would be helping me do it faster, we can figure this shit out, no problem guys.

Sounds like a crystal clear plan to me. Let's get to work.

?

So were the Cowboys signed to Geffen or Metal Blade when they appeared in Airheads? let's hope Metal Blade, whoever knows Monte on here, can ya maybe just shoot him an email and axe him? tell him we are trying to lock down exactly who has the song they did for that movie, I mean if it turns into that big of a headache, it probably be more realistic to have them re-record the fucking song, then to try and snatch a copy from whoever has it, I seriously doubt anyone has it, Im sure it's stored away somewhere, possibly at the studio where all the sound for that movie was mixed.

• 5 years later...

I got strung out on heroin and went to rehab, forgot all about this, now with a clear head and an arguably insane mind maybe I can start looking now, it was already a seemingly large amount of time to find it, now it's even longer, damn.

So if I have time this is where i'll start, I dont know when that will be so if one of you guys wants to get shit going sure would be appreciated, this guy and his label and studio were heavily involved in all the GC and Kings X did in the early to late 90s, if nobody wants to start, I will,just cant tell you when it will happen

https://www.linkedin.com/public-profile/in/sam-taylor-874248177?challengeId=AQHLJNuc5A5GjwAAAXa8wsi26iu08M32iPoA78QeZvBUGFir7ezKCrZW7kaowMeYXC1-Y06kNr-lKC38tCYKNKojVqeZg_QRcg&submissionId=f5acd319-c309-5616-305f-c3935cca0608

https://www.facebook.com/wildesilasmusicworks/about/