Australia has a new female prime minister!

Geoff

So I'm happily watching the awesome 'I Married A Stranger' show last night when all of a sudden WHOOSHKA! Massive breaking news saying that our prime minister, Kevin Rudd, had stepped down and some troll called Julia Gillard had taken his place. A few minutes later K-Rudd came out and set matters straight with an address to the nation, telling us that a ballot would be held this morning to determine if he would remain leader of our country, or if this Gillard trollop would.

So we all went to sleep assuming (I assume?) that Rudd would win the vote and, as per what the people voted for, he would go on leading our country. Well, no, that is not the case. Looks like Gillard won the vote and now, simple as that, Julia Gillard is the first female prime minister of Australia.

Now, I've made it clear I have no interest in politics, but what the f*ck is this? I've never heard of something like this happening outside of an election. Gillard and Rudd are from the same party (mutiny within) but as people are saying, the public voted for Kevin Rudd to be prime minister, not Julia Gillard. How can a swap just be this easy and void of public acceptance?

I don't care either way about Rudd as prime minister, but I personally had no issue with the guy. And to be dumped this unceremoniously is just ridiculous. What an embarrassing day for Australia.

Im no fan of Kevin, but why replace someone useless with someone even more useless? Wasnt it Bitchface afterall he screwed up the education revamp? Peter Garrett screwed up home insulation and lost his job, yet she becomes prime minister! How the hell can we show any pride in having a leader like Bitchface???

Yeah this was a very strange set of events. I was shocked to say the least when I switched on the TV this morning. Like Geoff said, the public had to vote for K Rudd so how is it that Julia gets in without any public vote. I understand it's the party we vote for, but we also vote for the party leader. I didn't mind Kevin but he was on a downward spiral lately and I don't think he would have won the next election anyway. As for Julia, to be honest I don't have a problem with her either (yet). But those duds who run the Liberal party, that's who I despise.

Btw Geoffy, we didnt vote in Rudd. Only his electorate did that. We(Australia) voted in Labour and it is then their choice who they make leader and you just assume they will honour it. They havnt which is gay. Gay like bitchface.

Yeah, I'm picking up what you're putting down, but on a simpler basis, a lot of people are voting for the person too, as well as the party.

Australia run by the Welsh - how bloody excellent. Sheep shagging and sitting on Leeks will be your national sports by the end of the year :lol:

it happened in the UK too.....a couple of years back. Blair was voted in (labour) and stood down to allow Brown in as PM (unelected). & he was shite from that point on.

The rest is history. & so is Brown. Thank God.

Well, I have to admit since she came in I've liked two things. One, was that when she was sworn into office she refused to swear on the bible, as she is a non-believer. Apparently that's quite abnormal for this role, but for me personally it's good to see. It'd be nice to see someone with some common sense in the top spot. Oh snap. Apologies, but I think it's positive.

Secondly, and I had NO idea Rudd was planning this, but apparently he wanted 36 million people in Australia by, what was it - 2014? Something absolutely f*cked up. If anything, we should be getting rid of people - not letting more in. But thankfully, she has put a stop to this - again, showing good common sense. If you can honestly take a look at Sydney now and tell me there are not far more than enough people here... well, I'll slap you upcross the head.

So I dunno, we'll see how it goes. Still didn't like the way it happened, but maybe it's not all bad. :lol:

Secondly, and I had NO idea Rudd was planning this, but apparently he wanted 36 million people in Australia by, what was it - 2014? Something absolutely f*cked up. If anything, we should be getting rid of people - not letting more in. But thankfully, she has put a stop to this

She's now got my vote !!!!!!!

it happened in the UK too.....a couple of years back. Blair was voted in (labour) and stood down to allow Brown in as PM (unelected). & he was shite from that point on.

The rest is history. & so is Brown. Thank God.

I would have agreed with you, but I'd take Brown back if it meant rid of the f***ing Tories. Cameron is the new Thatcher. :crying:

Secondly, and I had NO idea Rudd was planning this, but apparently he wanted 36 million people in Australia by, what was it - 2014? Something absolutely f*cked up. If anything, we should be getting rid of people - not letting more in. But thankfully, she has put a stop to this

She's now got my vote !!!!!!!

Yeah, me too.. If it comes down to an election and someone wants more people in Australia and she wants less, she's definitely getting my vote. :)