NCAA Conference Re-Alignment

hsf

So, as of now, the Colorado Buffaloes are moving to the Pac-10, with supposedly 5 more teams (from the Big XII) to follow creating the first "Super Conference".

Nebraska is supposedly moving to the Big Ten, giving them 12 teams and also a conference championship (as the Pac-10 would now have).

Talk is of, to compete with the Pac-10 Super Conference, the Big Ten trying to grab 4 more teams, possibly including Notre Dame, Louisville, Missouri, and Rutgers, to expand their television market into the Midwest and New York.

The almighty dollar is driving everything. What would the new conferences (super conferences) do the BCS? Which conferences will disappear? Will this move eventually lead to the college football playoff for the National Championship that we've so long desired? What is your take on the whole situation?

(As I see it, the news is interesting and fun to follow, but for the long-term good of the NCAA, I'm not sure this helps. But, should make for an interesting few weeks/summer. I kind of hope the Big Ten grabs 4 other teams to be one of the two super conferences, although I could see the SEC trying to jump on board and making it a big three.)

Oh, and I had to smile at the USC news, although sadly, the current kids who may have done nothing wrong will have to suffer while Capt. Douchebag Carroll gets off scott free.

I'm quite disheartened that they're plundering the Big 12. If the Pac 10 gets all of the teams they're after there won't be a Big 12 left. Even worse is the fact that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be a part of the Pac 10. Do you know how confusing that is going to get with two OU's and two OSU's in the same conference? I know I'm not looking forward to it. Oh well, at least USC is getting their comeuppance.

The almighty dollar is driving all these switches amongst teams/conferences. It's all about branding, and play-offs. Play-offs equals more games equals more tv revenue. Cha-ching!

Down the road, if we wind up with 4-6 "super conferences", basically, they will have enough power to band together and demand a play-off system, and the NCAA won't have the power to stop them.

So, in my opinion, it will wind up being good for the game in that we will see a play-off system in place sooner rather than later, BUT, it sucks that the tradition of all these smaller conferences will be thrown away in the pursuit of $$.

So, now it's official; Nebraska now makes the Big Ten the newest 12 team conference (and gives it a conference championship).

Word is that the Pac 10 will pilfer some more Big XII teams by Monday or Tuesday to complete their super-conference. (I almost would love to see the Big Ten snag 4 more teams before then and beat the Pac 10 to the punch. Missou, ND, Louisville, and Rutgers would be strategically placed teams that would enlarge the viewership for the Big Ten Network. I wonder how long before they make that a pay-for-channel.)

Now we just need some Big Ten teams to raise their prowess in non-conference games. This could be a great conference. (And if they add any more strong teams, that much better.)

This really sucks for us big 12 fans (especially us in Kansas!) Kansas University will probably be OK but Kansas State University and Iowa State University (the 2 colleges I attended) are fucked I think.

as much as I would like to see a playoff I think that would ruin college football. right now every game counts for so mcuh but if you have a playoff every game will count for a lot less. I do think they need to find some way to make sure smaller teams have their "shot" if they have proven it over the year. there really needs to be some compromise to this situation.

I don't like the changes.. I'm a traditionalist.

Sure would suck to be a Baylor fan. :unsure:

I don't love the changes. I didn't mind that the Big 10 wanted to add a 12th team to get a conference championship but I hate how it's all driven by more money and by Football, like Basketball doesn't matter. Kansas is a powerhouse is Basketball and all the rivalries with Texas, Mizzou, and others are out the window if the Big 12 falls apart. Where do KU, KSU, ISU and Baylor go? The Mountain West? It was nice to see Boise State move to a better conference but if the Big 12 leftovers got there that does make it much better but it messes up all of these rivalries that have been around for years. What about Nebraska and Oklahoma? That used to be a great football rivalry and now is gone unless they find a way to play a regular season game every year. What happens when the trickle effect starts and the ACC grabs teams from the Big East and that conference falls apart? That would be good for Football but horrible for Basketball. I wonder how long it will be until Notre Dame and Mizzou wind up in the Big 10,as I think those two are perfect fits geographically.

Im happy as fuck to see the Utah Utes go to the Pac-12, I think they will fit right in, I think if the Mountain West wasnt going to do something about getting it's bottom half of the teams weeded out, and get a BCS bid, the Utes did the only logical thing to do!