Third/Fourth Impressions

Okay, I'm going to try this. If it doesn't work; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So you're listened to something for the first time and posted in the 'First Impressions' thread. You then listen to the CD a few more times, get used to the songs and either change your mind or confirm your initial thoughts. This thread is aimed at that later impression when you've got used to a CD and the songs have worked their way into your mind.

What sets this apart from threads like 'What are you listening to right now' and 'What's spinning...' is that it has to be something new (to you, not necessarily a new release) and it has to be a review of sorts, rather than just a list of albums. For me, this will be really interesting, as I often change my mind after a few listens.

Anyway, I'll kick off and hope this catches on..

Arabia - 1001 Nights

Probably not the best example to start, as I didn't really change my mind about this one. Maybe not quite as good as I first thought, but still a good album. Hard rocking, with very gravelly vocals. Quite Whitesnake-sounding in places, a few standout tracks like the title track and 'Till The Day I Die', which is probably the best track for me. Lots of good guitar solos, although many of them are very short. Good stuff, I'd say 7.5/10.

FOREIGNER - Can't Slow Down (This will spark some debate)

Shit after the first listen. Shit after the third spin (which will be the last). I presume they still make a few quid on merch/touring otherwise why would they bother?

I'll give this one more try...

HolyHell - s/t

Quite different to first impressions. Took a few listens for the individual songs to sink in, but as is often the case, some of the tracks that are immediate soon become fairly annoying, for example the forst track, 'Wings of Light'. Some of the later stuff, which at first seemed like too much of the same, stood out after a few listens. Decent melodic gothic metal, plenty of variation and ideas. Standout tracks for me are 'Angel of Darkness' and 'Last Vision'. Recommended to those who like gothic/symphonic metal, especially if you only like clean vocals.

Shit after the first listen. Shit after the third spin (which will be the last). I presume they still make a few quid on merch/touring otherwise why would they bother?

I loved that one on the first spin and I'm still loving it on my 20th spin.

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to ruffle a few feathers, but it must be said:

KISS - 'Sonic Boom' and Keel - 'Streets of rock n' roll' ; I've paired them together as I have the exact same issue with both of them. When I first played each CD I enjoyed them and thought they were good, basic and harmless rock n' roll CDs. Last week when I played 'Sonic Boom' it was like punching myself in the face repeatedly, it was so painful. I ended up skipping the majority of the songs after the first chorus and couldn't swap CDs quick enough. Got home and filed it upstairs in the collection, not to be played for a very, very long time. It was sad, as at first I'd thought it was a pretty harmless CD. Now I just think it's mundane garbage.

Then on Friday, same thing happens with the new Keel CD. Had the MP3's for a while on my Ipod and I've been enjoying them to a degree. Got the CD from Wishing Well last week and was pumped to play it in the car properly. Got to about song 4 or 5 and just couldn't handle it. Same as KISS, the songs are painfully basic and uninspired, but I first thought they were enough to get by. But they're not. The last song is the only thing half decent on this CD.

And then I thought of this. If a new band, lets call them Skrotum. If Skrotum came onto the scene in 2009 and released 'Sonic Boom' and then followed up with 'Streets of rock n' roll' they would probably gather a dozen fans along the way. And that'd be 12 diehard 80's rock completists. But most people would just hate them. The big names are all that carry these two releases and are also the reasons I'll probably keep both... but man if I look at it in total honesty, these are two shithouse albums. Pains me to say it too, especially about Keel.

This is going to ruffle a few feathers, but it must be said:

KISS - 'Sonic Boom' and Keel - 'Streets of rock n' roll' ; I've paired them together as I have the exact same issue with both of them. When I first played each CD I enjoyed them and thought they were good, basic and harmless rock n' roll CDs. Last week when I played 'Sonic Boom' it was like punching myself in the face repeatedly, it was so painful. I ended up skipping the majority of the songs after the first chorus and couldn't swap CDs quick enough. Got home and filed it upstairs in the collection, not to be played for a very, very long time. It was sad, as at first I'd thought it was a pretty harmless CD. Now I just think it's mundane garbage.

Then on Friday, same thing happens with the new Keel CD. Had the MP3's for a while on my Ipod and I've been enjoying them to a degree. Got the CD from Wishing Well last week and was pumped to play it in the car properly. Got to about song 4 or 5 and just couldn't handle it. Same as KISS, the songs are painfully basic and uninspired, but I first thought they were enough to get by. But they're not. The last song is the only thing half decent on this CD.

And then I thought of this. If a new band, lets call them Skrotum. If Skrotum came onto the scene in 2009 and released 'Sonic Boom' and then followed up with 'Streets of rock n' roll' they would probably gather a dozen fans along the way. And that'd be 12 diehard 80's rock completists. But most people would just hate them. The big names are all that carry these two releases and are also the reasons I'll probably keep both... but man if I look at it in total honesty, these are two shithouse albums. Pains me to say it too, especially about Keel.

The simple reason you dont like 'Sonic Boom' is because it sounds like 70s Kiss, not 80s Kiss.

Which for for me is a good thing.

Killer Bee - Cracked Up

Didn't like this at first, but after a few listens I find that I like at least half of the songs. The upbeat rockers are really good 80s rock, perhaps with a small sleaze element. Some bands just don't do ballads and for me this is one; I don't like any of the softer songs, they are really dull. Overall, a pleasant surprise though. Best track for me is 'Feels Like It Should', very nice hard rocker with a good guitar solo.

Honeymoon Suite - s/t ; this one's been mentioned a couple of times in threads with Jez and Glen lately, and it's been on the brink of my trade list. But I have decided to keep it. I do think it's a 50/50 album.

The garbage:

New Girl Now

Wave Babies

Stay in the Light

Now That You Got Me

Face to Face

Sadly, I find these songs to be sure duds. 'Face to face' is the best of the pack, but even that is a true downer. However,

The good tunes:

Burning In Love

Funny Business

Heart on Fire

Turn My Head

It's Your Heart

These are 5 good little ditties, especially 'Funny business' and they've made the album worth keeping. :)

Honeymoon Suite - s/t ; this one's been mentioned a couple of times in threads with Jez and Glen lately, and it's been on the brink of my trade list. But I have decided to keep it. I do think it's a 50/50 album.

The garbage:

New Girl Now

Wave Babies

Stay in the Light

Now That You Got Me

Face to Face

Sadly, I find these songs to be sure duds. 'Face to face' is the best of the pack, but even that is a true downer. However,

The good tunes:

Burning In Love

Funny Business

Heart on Fire

Turn My Head

It's Your Heart

These are 5 good little ditties, especially 'Funny business' and they've made the album worth keeping. :)

Wow, talk about a one album band.

'The Big Prize' is an awesome album, but unfortunately the s/t debut is a bit of a dud. Out of the songs Geoff mentions above the best is easily 'Burning In Love'.....I can just about stomach 'New Girl Now'.

The albums which followed The Big Prize are pretty good, but 'Monsters Under The Bed' is definitely overrated & I skip nearly every song.

The garbage:

New Girl Now

Wave Babies

Stay in the Light

Now That You Got Me

Face to Face

The good tunes:

Burning In Love

Funny Business

Heart on Fire

Turn My Head

It's Your Heart

Complete and utter 'Tosh' in a word ;)

The garbage:

New Girl Now

Wave Babies

Stay in the Light

Now That You Got Me

Face to Face

The good tunes:

Burning In Love

Funny Business

Heart on Fire

Turn My Head

It's Your Heart

:yikes:

Blimey I think it's a fierce album ... I prefer it to the Big Prize....Wave Babies a bad song??? (no!), New Girl Now naff ????(the horror!)

Easy my fave HMS album.

The garbage:

New Girl Now

Wave Babies

Stay in the Light

Now That You Got Me

Face to Face

The good tunes:

Burning In Love

Funny Business

Heart on Fire

Turn My Head

It's Your Heart

OK i'll give you that half of 'Racing After Midnight' is good...the other half is patchy tho.

I'm not giving in on Monsters tho. Grossly overrated IMO.

Sadly, my most wanted HS album still eludes me - 'Monsters Under the Bed'. I have heard the rest and it does seem to be a similar story everytime. No doubt they have some great tunes, but sadly they have as many duds each time, if not more. Luckily the good stuff is worthwhile. I am looking to round up the collection on CD, though, which is only a couple off now.

And yeah, sorry Nick. Hated 'Wave Babies' when I first got 'The Singles' CD years ago and I hate it even more now. 'New Girl Now' just irritates me. All the songs on my dud list above have that creepy 80's pop vibe that irks me.

The garbage:

New Girl Now

Wave Babies

Stay in the Light

Now That You Got Me

Face to Face

The good tunes:

Burning In Love

Funny Business

Heart on Fire

Turn My Head

It's Your Heart

:yikes:

Blimey I think it's a fierce album ... I prefer it to the Big Prize....Wave Babies a bad song??? (no!), New Girl Now naff ????(the horror!)

Easy my fave HMS album.

I meant the comment Nick, not the album :D

OK i'll give you that half of 'Racing After Midnight' is good...the other half is patchy tho.

I'm not giving in on Monsters tho. Grossly overrated IMO.

I actually really like pretty much everything this band have churned out. I didn't bother with their latest album, but after a slightly patchy debut they made 3 KILLER discs in a row - and even "Lemon Tongue"/"Dreamland" was good (especially if you got the "Dreamland" version with the classic tune "Still Lovin' You" on it). "The Big Prize" and "Racing After Midnight" are absolutely stunning albums IMHO...

Sadly, my most wanted HS album still eludes me - 'Monsters Under the Bed'.

If I were you I would leave your collection incomplete ;-)

The Honeymoon Suite stuff I've heard sounds really soft to me, which isn't necessarily a problem, but none of the songs have grabbed me. Any tips as to songs I should check out (I'd prefer heavier stuff, but it isn't essential). I might download a couple to get me started...

I still can`t get into this album, Foreigner are one of my favourite bands and I think Kelly Hansen is great but something isn`t clicking with me?? :unsure:

The Honeymoon Suite stuff I've heard sounds really soft to me, which isn't necessarily a problem, but none of the songs have grabbed me. Any tips as to songs I should check out (I'd prefer heavier stuff, but it isn't essential). I might download a couple to get me started...

Here's what I'd recommend -

s/t

Burning Love

The Big Prize

Bad Attitude

Feel It Again [easily their best track]

What Does It Take

Wounded

Once The Feeling

Racing After Midnight

Looking Out For Number One

Other Side Of Midnight

Love Changes Everything

Fast Company

Tears On The Page

Monsters Under The Bed

Say You Dont Know Me

Stand Alone

Lemon Tongue

Mmm cant recall one stand out track??

Clifton Hill

Tired Of Waitin

That's All You Got

Hope this helps as a start. Pretty much most of 'The Big Prize' is excellent and the remaining tracks on 'Racing After Midnight' are pretty good too, so i'd opt for those 2 albums and pretty much forget about the rest. 'Clifton Hill' is pretty good, but i think you'd hate the more modern sound.

Cheers

I still can`t get into this album, Foreigner are one of my favourite bands and I think Kelly Hansen is great but something isn`t clicking with me?? :unsure:

Great disc not sure why some don't like it.

Great disc not sure why some don't like it.

Because it's patchy as hell! :lol: I love some of the songs on this and am still planning to buy it when I find it nice and cheap, but for every gem there is a dud... and then some. IMO there are more duds than gems, but the best tracks are fantastic and worth owning the disc, imo.

If you like the slightly heavier (but not modern) sound then "Monsters Under the Bed" would be perfect IMHO...

Chris Laney - Only Come Out At Night

Laney's second. The debut was a bit of a mixed bag for me with some killer tracks intermingled with some solid to good rockers. I liked the album, but not as much as some.

Ive spun the newie a few times now, and some of the tracks which I thought were quite average on the first spin have really grown on me now.

In particular the first 2 tracks Im really enjoying now esp 'Love So Bad' which is a cool rocker which reminds me of Crazy Lixx. 'Rockstar' (3rd in) is only OK for me. 'B4 it is 2 Late' moves the quality up nicely...I do find the chorus slightly whiney, but overall its a v good track.

I wont dwell too long on 'Eyes Poppin Out', except to say that this a HORRIBLE filler...and possibly one of the worst songs ive heard this year (pushed closely by Reckless Love's 'One More Time' which is also appalling!). In fact I find this song quite offensive, and it defo should have ended up being binned IMHO.

Anyway back to what's good or should I say excellent and thats the next three tracks which are the highlights of the disc IMO. 'One Kiss Goodnight', 'Gotta Run' and 'Playing With Fire' are all great tracks and really lift this album from being good to very good. All three are fine rockers, with excellent choruses and killer solos. Nice.

'Crush' is again solid, while 'I Had Enuff' is another good rocker up there with the first 2 tracks.

The album closes with 'Daydream'. An odd track which doesnt really suit Laney's style....however I kind of dig the track, except for the last minute which is just a horrendous screechy noise that is totally irritating and I would doubt that anyone would actually make to the end of this track before switching off.

Overall a really good follow up. Possibly just a tad behind the debut, but there are at least 3, maybe 4 songs here which are better than anything off the debut IMHO.

Cheers

Have been giving Q2K-Queensryche more of a spin in the last few weeks and on my 5th spin i'm really enjoying this disc,maybe alot of bad press has been blindsiding me for so long,who knows?

I admit it's not up to some of their early classic releases but it has a good vibe to it.