Stryper

66 mustang

Stryper's AGAINST THE LAW smokes anything Firehouse ever recorded... with one hand tied behind its back.

Haha. Whilst I certainly don't agree with the above to comments, I have to say that I don't really got the compasison either. Both are flawlessly produced products, both with plenty of balls. Good heavy drums and guitars... but the two guitarists are very different, imo and as a unit... yeah, I dunno. Similar, yes, but probably no more/less than a dozen other bands from the same era. I will make a point to listen to Stryper again, though... just to make sure.

Ah, I just assumed we were all talking about the only two Firehouse CDs worth mentioning (the first two). :lol:;) As for 'O2', I am not even a remote fan of that CD whereas I love the Stryper one so that'd be a hard comparison to make.

If anything, Firehouse's first album kinda reminds me of Stryper. Mainly in the vocals. What's his nuts (Firehouse's vocalist whose name I can never remember) sounds a lot like Michael Sweet on that disc.

If anything, Firehouse's first album kinda reminds me of Stryper. Mainly in the vocals. What's his nuts (Firehouse's vocalist whose name I can never remember) sounds a lot like Michael Sweet on that disc.

CJ Snare. I've never really thought about these bands sounding like each other in anyway. I guess I see your point a little vocally but CJ never sang as high as Michael.

I'm with Fat Freddy on this one. Had all CDs of both bands at one time or another and the only ones I have left are Firehouse - S/T and Stryper - Against the Law. For me they are the strongest releases by both bands but shouldn't be compared.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PowerMetalMessiah

I am a major Stryper fanatic and have been since 1985! I have seen them on their past 3 tours and can't wait to see them again this year on their cover album tour. BTW, I LOVE the tyracklisting for the forthcoming cover album!

been a long time since I listened to this but took a listen (because of the other Stryper thread) and really, the music part, sounds a LOT like a Firehouse album. anyone else ever thought that?

I can hear that a little. That said there isn't a single song on "Against the Law" that would've made it onto either of the first two (great) Firehouse discs, and that album is easily Stryper's finest moment.

Funnily enough, I put on 'Against the law' last night and I can actually hear Firehouse in the first song. I think the more filler-ish kind of songs do remind me a little of the fillers on Firehouse's 2nd CD... but when each band is at their best I can't see much comparison.

And come on Tim, you're saying 'All for one', 'Lady' and 'Two time woman' are weaker than stuff like 'Mama didn't raise no fool' or 'Get in Touch', for example? :)

And come on Tim, you're saying 'All for one', 'Lady' and 'Two time woman' are weaker than stuff like 'Mama didn't raise no fool' or 'Get in Touch', for example? :)

Yep. Even on the slightly weaker tracks (on their first 2 discs) I love the big sound Firehouse get & that edges-it over the Stryper tunes for me.

Yep. Even on the slightly weaker tracks (on their first 2 discs) I love the big sound Firehouse get & that edges-it over the Stryper tunes for me.

I have to admit, I had a look through the track lists on both albums and expected to drop a whole list worth of Firehouse songs that were inferior to Stryper ones, but I came up a little short. :lol: They really are two excellent albums. But that said, still love the Stryper disc and I'd personally take those three songs over quite a few on the Firehouse CDs. The chorus in 'Two time woman' is one of the hugest ever.

I have to admit, I had a look through the track lists on both albums and expected to drop a whole list worth of Firehouse songs that were inferior to Stryper ones, but I came up a little short. :lol: They really are two excellent albums. But that said, still love the Stryper disc and I'd personally take those three songs over quite a few on the Firehouse CDs. The chorus in 'Two time woman' is one of the hugest ever.

I agree with that. If that song had the Firehouse production/sound & guitar tone then I'd have used that tune too...

How good is this lyric? ;)

'My love I'll always show':

Whenever I'm sad and feeling real blue

I begin to feel happy as I sit and think of you

I think of your face and your personality

You are so beautiful, you mean everything to me

In all seriousness, been listening to a lot of Stryper lately and goddamn they have some good stuff. I have hated and grown to hate so many christian bands, but Stryper knew their craft well. I think I also have an extra newfound enjoyment for them since hearing how bad Petra were. :lol:

I like all of Firehouses albums (and I do mean all of them), but if I had to choose between keeping any of them or keeping Against the law, I would drop Firehouse without hesitation as ATL is one of my all time fave albums.

It walks over anything that Firehouse has done, and Firehouse has done some amazing songs.

Two Time Woman is fantastically catchy. Two Bodies and Not that Kind of Guy rule too.

• 2 weeks later...

First time I heard "Calling To You," or "Calling On You," or whatever that Stryper song is, I thought it WAS Firehouse.

But anyway, I read a quote from Michael Sweet a few weeks ago, where he said something like, "We've never been concerned with what other people think, and have always followed our own hearts and gone our own direction, according to how we feel led." Apparently, the conflict between the first part and the last six words never occurred to him. Or the way they made a "secular" album when the novelty of a born-again metal band was starting to wear off. Or the whole "Reborn," down-tuned, trendy nu-metal sound. Just another hypocrite.

• 1 month later...

I can definetly hear Firehouse in Stryper on that album. Btw, what a great album it is. I remember buying the cassette back in the day when it came out and was surprised by the departure from their strong religious message. It never really mattered to me...theyre a great band and had some great albums including this one.

I hope nobody is suggesting that Stryper somehow "lifted" or were influenced by Firehouse. ATL was released in the same year the FH debut was...they were both products of the times they were in.

And "Calling On You" predates the band Firehouse by 4 years. If anything, FH were influenced by Stryper (to some degree)...

If anything, FH were influenced by Stryper (to some degree)...

S'what I be sayin', yo.