Verdicts please!

JamesEagle

Just after any verdicts on these albums please. I’m thinking about getting the CDs and wondered what other members think of them. There aren’t many reviews on the main HH site for any of these. Descriptions of sound, e.g. heaviness, similarities to other bands, etc appreciated.

Crystal Ball - Secrets

Dynazty - Bring The Thunder

Edge Of Forever - Another Paradise

Wrecking Crew - Fun In The Doghouse

Just after any verdicts on these albums please. I’m thinking about getting the CDs and wondered what other members think of them. There aren’t many reviews on the main HH site for any of these. Descriptions of sound, e.g. heaviness, similarities to other bands, etc appreciated.

Crystal Ball - Secrets

Edge Of Forever is great, bombastic MR with some great pompy keys and some choice tunes. The best of the 3 I know of these by far. Infact it's that good, i'm gonna put it on now ;)

Dynazty I found to be average US hard rock, sort of reminded me of Ratt and Steelheart with some ok tunes, but no really big hooks for me. Didn't like the vocals much either. I have read varying reports on it, ranging from average to good and I was discussing this very disc with a couple of mates a few weeks back and they found it the same as me, i.e not bad, but not great.

Crystal Ball is good'ish euro hard rock. I would get the debut 'In The Beginning' by these guys over this to be honest, as it is much better and for me, their best album by far

Wrecking Crew I don't know apart from thy are Aussies (Probably crap then...Shhhh ;) )

Crystal Ball - Secrets

Dynazty I found to be average US hard rock, sort of reminded me of Ratt and Steelheart with some ok tunes, but no really big hooks for me. Didn't like the vocals much either. I have read varying reports on it, ranging from average to good and I was discussing this very disc with a couple of mates a few weeks back and they found it the same as me, i.e not bad, but not great.

Backed, dont know the other three although the Edge Of Forever interests me having read good things.

The tune they played on ARFM on Sunday was pretty good too.

Crystal Ball - Secrets ; pretty average to me. If you don't have them, forget this and buy 'Hard Impact' and 'In the beginning'. They're their first 2 albums and are both fantastic. Each release since, including 'Secrets' has been pretty average. As for what is sounds like; a poor man's Victory.

Dynazty - Bring The Thunder ; I like this one. Good, solid hard rock with some great tunes. Vocals are a slightly aquired taste, but I like them. I'd recommend this too.

Edge Of Forever - Another Paradise ; yeah, very good album. Haven't thought much of this band up until now. More melodic than first 2 albums with much better songs. Only one filler and the rest was very good.

Wrecking Crew - Fun In The Doghouse ; WHO? Heard the name before but I have no idea what this is. Are they even a rock band?

I'd rank these albums in this order:

1. Edge of Forever

2. Dynazty

3. Crystal Ball

Crystal Ball........very good band, all their releases are decent IMO...Secrets is not their best however.....and they sound nothing like Victory (thank God).

Edge of Forever........All their releases are excellent...can't go wrong here

Dynazty.........decent release but nothing mind blowing

Wrecking Ball.....who???

Cheers folks. Looks like you've confirmed my worst fears, i.e. Edge of Forever is a must. The Dynazty samples I've heard are pretty good, but I'll revisit them before deciding whether to buy. I will leave Crystal Ball for now, their first 2 CDs are expensive, so if they are the ones worth getting I'll have to give them a miss. Besides, I just paid £14 that I didn't have (more than I usually pay for CDs these days) for an Attraction CD that due to HH suddenly became a must!

:headbanger:

Wrecking Crew I don't know apart from thy are Aussies (Probably crap then...Shhhh ;) )

They are Aussies and I do own it but have not played it for a while now.

If I remember rightly it had one killer track, a couple of decent ones and the rest was very average but I will give it another spin tomorrow and give you a better idea of what it is like.

Cheers folks. Looks like you've confirmed my worst fears, i.e. Edge of Forever is a must. The Dynazty samples I've heard are pretty good, but I'll revisit them before deciding whether to buy. I will leave Crystal Ball for now, their first 2 CDs are expensive, so if they are the ones worth getting I'll have to give them a miss. Besides, I just paid £14 that I didn't have (more than I usually pay for CDs these days) for an Attraction CD that due to HH suddenly became a must!

:headbanger:

Wow, £14 is a lot of money but to be honest I think you've done alright there. From all reports I heard that CD isn't too easy to get at all anymore. Good thing for you, though, is it's worth every single cent. Excellent disc.

If I remember rightly it had one killer track, a couple of decent ones and the rest was very average but I will give it another spin tomorrow and give you a better idea of what it is like.

Wow........was I wrong !!!!!!!!

I now have to ask myself why I have not been playing this more often :unsure:

Played this twice today and out of 11 songs, 9 were very good and 2 I would class as fillers.

A few songs really have an early Great White vibe to them and one track would have not been out of place on the Great White, "Psycho City" album and even though they are Aussies, they sound nothing like an Aussie band.

This one will be played alot more now and if you can pick it up pretty cheaply, you would find yourself with a bloody good buy that gets better with each spin.

A :tumbsup: from me !!!!!

Played this twice today and out of 11 songs, 9 were very good and 2 I would class as fillers.

A few songs really have an early Great White vibe to them and one track would have not been out of place on the Great White, "Psycho City" album and even though they are Aussies, they sound nothing like an Aussie band.

This one will be played alot more now and if you can pick it up pretty cheaply, you would find yourself with a bloody good buy that gets better with each spin.

wrecking crew's good cd, they were based in sydney. if i'm not mistaken... someone in that band had a sex change operation ala mark / marcie free.

I thought wrecking crew had that slight ac dc ness about them.

When you said early Great White I was all like, WTF? You mean like 'Out of the night'?! So anyway, you reckon it's worth picking up? It's still littered in 2nd hand shops around the place, isn't it? I know I've seen it about 10,000 times but never even considered it. Do they have a "rock image" at all?

When you said early Great White I was all like, WTF? You mean like 'Out of the night'?! So anyway, you reckon it's worth picking up? It's still littered in 2nd hand shops around the place, isn't it? I know I've seen it about 10,000 times but never even considered it. Do they have a "rock image" at all?

Only a couple of songs really give out the Great White vibe otherwise they just to me, sound like your average 80's American hair band.

Would it be to your liking :unsure:

If you can find it cheap I would definately get it or if you want, PM me your postal address and I will burn you a copy and send it to you and if you like it, then you can go out hunting for it.

Geoff, it's on its way to you mate :tumbsup:

It will be interesting to see what you think compared to my opinion.

Firstly they are very good musicians who are head and shoulders above most Australian artists IMO.

1 - WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS

A good opener with a funk vibe to the guitar. Love the way they incorporate the "circus music" later on in the song.

2 - 10c LOVIN

Love this song.....Great White vibe written all over it.

3 - STAY

Very good 80's Hair/Melodic Rock song with a catchy chorus that sounds like some other band that I just can't put my finger on at the moment

4 - SISTER MERCY

Bit more up-tempo 80's Hair Rock style. Not a bad song.

5 - SHE WANTS LOVE

Some funk guitar with a bit of sax....Filler material to me.

6 - DO WHAT YOU DO

Very good Melodic Rock song with an opening that will grab you right from the start. Big guitar sound with a touch of Great White that can be heard at times through out the track.

7 - MIDNIGHT

Run of the mill Hair/Sleaze style track....Not bad

8 - GOING DOWN

Really like this one....A slow Bluesy Great White style track... Along with 10c Lovin' this would be one of my favorites.

9 - HAUNTED

Slow Melodic Rock track that again grabs your attention right from the start. Very good track.

10 - OUTTA LOVE

Run of the mill Hard Rock song that does not do much for me.

11 - SOUL TRAIN

Filler material compared to the rest.

Overall, this is getting better with each listen and I'm really enjoying this indeed :tumbsup:

Thanks mate... kind of excited now. Hopefully if I like it I can pick up some of their discs (I notice they have several, some often described as *shudder* punk) for cheap. :)

Thanks mate... kind of excited now. Hopefully if I like it I can pick up some of their discs (I notice they have several, some often described as *shudder* punk) for cheap. :)

Mate, that is not the same band so avoid the others !!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure this was the only album they released. There is a 3 track disc on ebay with 2 of the songs off the album and a third song that is not on the album.

The album is on the HH data base but for some reason, I can't post any links from any web site as they don't work :unsure:

Wrecking Crew - Fun In The Doghouse.....see what I mean :unsure:

If you can find it cheap I would definately get it or if you want, PM me your postal address and I will burn you a copy and send it to you and if you like it, then you can go out hunting for it.

Is this offer just to Geoff?

:whistle:

Is this offer just to Geoff?

:whistle:

PM me your postal address and I'll send one your way as well :tumbsup:

Mate, that is not the same band so avoid the others !!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure this was the only album they released. There is a 3 track disc on ebay with 2 of the songs off the album and a third song that is not on the album.

The album is on the HH data base but for some reason, I can't post any links from any web site as they don't work :unsure:

Wrecking Crew - Fun In The Doghouse.....see what I mean :unsure:

Ah, I see. Thanks for that mate... that could have ended up real bad. :lol:

Totally agree with you guys. Edge of forever is the best between the cds listed here.

Alex Del Vecchio made the right decision to hand up the vocal parts himself, Bob Harris was very good too, but he looks like an aired guns:D.

I love the song another paradise, where Alex duet with Rob Tiranti(Labyrinth).

Dinazty between good and average , Cristal ball nice album.

Cheers all. Edge of Forever CD in the post, I'll thank you again when I've listened to it...

Few more I'd appreciate comments on, again how good are they and who (if anyone) do they sound like?

Hush - II

House of Games - Rise and Shine

Lovechild - Soul Collector

Storming Heaven - Life In Paradise

Forte - A Dead Breed

Cheers

Hush - II ; GET IT! Great band and this CD is almost as good as their debut, if not just as good. Great, smooth melodic rock / AOR. A keeper for sure.

House of Games - Rise and Shine ; well the fact that this, or some CD from this band is on my current trade list says it all for me. They're really not too bad - solid melodic rock, but they're extremely generic and unspectacular. I couldn't recommend this. They actually remind me of early Edge of Forever. There was one really good tune at the start of the CD on this one.

Lovechild - Soul Collector ; good one. Not great, but very solid hard rock in the style of your Jaded Hearts, Crystal Balls etc. of the genre. Good, solid heavy rock. I can see you being pretty unimpressed with this, though, as it's not really anything special.

Storming Heaven - Life In Paradise ; never got around to hearing this... will be interested to see the comments myself.

Forte - A Dead Breed ; don't know this one at all.

Cheers Geoff, useful comments.

If I could change the subtitle of this thread to the names of the new bands I'm after opinions on, maybe more people would comment...? Anyway, hope more people see this, would also appreciate any thoughts on:

Enemies SWE - Behind Enemy Lines

Enemies SWE - Behind Enemy Lines

Definitely thought that one was a dud, mate. Modern sleaze rock/metal probably most easily compared to something like Backyard Babies maybe. You might like it as you're into a few of current sleaze bands by the looks of it... but then again so am I and I thought this was well below average.