CDBaby question

SUICIDE

How many people are bothered when you order a CD off CDBaby and find out it is a CD-R when you receive it? Do you send it back or keep it even if you thought it was going to be a Silver-Pressed CD?

Not sure this is a repeat Q as the 'Search' link is being weird.

Yeah, this issue has been covered already somewhere on here.

So far I have been lucky, I guess. Only one "CD" I purchased on CDBaby was a CDR. Juggernaut - "Take "em there". It did annoy me, but I didn't send it back. Too much hassle all the way to Germany and back ...

Yeah,thats bullsh*t..they at least need to list it as such.Think i kept it cause i didn't want to deal with the return hassle.

Two people have already said it would be a hassle to send it back and they count on that. Bullshit is right.

Exactly. For personal buys, It has come to a point these days that I will trace barcodes to find out where CDs are coming from before I buy one from any shop rather than be stuck with a CD-R that was supposed to be a proper pressing. I do not buy CD-Rs for many reasons. The only thing on CDBaby I am sure of is Eonian Records stock on there is Silver-Pressed and any band who is using the CDBaby restocking service for a CD title is getting a duplicated CD-R. CDBaby says they indicate whether an album is a CD/CD-R/other... but I have yet to see a listing of a band I am interested in have this indication. So I am stuck tracing barcodes.

I am one of those who won't buy a release if it is on CDR.......for those of you who live in the States, here is what I do. I always call CD baby and ask the rep to go back to the warehouse and check the stock for me to see if it is a CDR or silver pressed CD. I've never had a problem and they always check and let me know one way or the other before I order. On one occasion, I did receive a CDR and called to complain. They checked and found that some of the discs were silver pressed and some were on CDR media. I returned the disc and they paid the return postage for me and sent me the silver pressed disc.....

i thought they now stated whether they were cdr or not?

... or the started to do this at some stage a year or two back.

Supposedly they do but I haven't seen it. For example, Vamp Le Stat 'Bloodline' was originally released in 1993 Silver-Pressed but CDBaby sells a 2008 version with the Audio & Video Lab, Inc. barcode which is really just Disc Makers. So... there is no indication this 2008 version is Silver-Pressed. But I do know it originates from Disc Makers. Since Disc Makers bought out CDBaby and does the duplication for CDBaby, It makes a person think two things, One... that it is just a CD Duplication through the CDBaby restocking service... Two... Is it really Silver-Pressed stock in 2008 using Disc Makers and not CDBaby's service? I assume it it just a CD-R really. This is one where an indication if it is a CD or CD-R would be nice especially when companies are starting to use Diamond Silver Bottom CD-Rs in duplicating thinking people are not bothered if they get a Replicated or Duplicated version of a CD as long as they look authentic to a real pressed CD.

During my most recent browse thru CDBaby, I noticed quite a few items that were plainly listed as CD-R's. So I guess they're working on it, but I would imagine with the thousands of titles in their warehouse it'll take awhile before they've gone thru everything and identified'em all on the site as such.

I'd hate to be the poor schmuck who's gotta do that job, by the way. Imagine having to go thru their entire inventory with a clipboard going "Silver CD... CD-R... Silver CD.... Silver CD... CD-R..."

During my most recent browse thru CDBaby, I noticed quite a few items that were plainly listed as CD-R's. So I guess they're working on it, but I would imagine with the thousands of titles in their warehouse it'll take awhile before they've gone thru everything and identified'em all on the site as such.

I'd hate to be the poor schmuck who's gotta do that job, by the way. Imagine having to go thru their entire inventory with a clipboard going "Silver CD... CD-R... Silver CD.... Silver CD... CD-R..."

:lol: Yeah, that'd suck. I get the impression it'd be a job suited perfectly for SUICIDE, though. :)

Yeah,thats bullsh*t..they at least need to list it as such.

That's exactly what they should be made to do by law !!!!!!

If Amazon can do it, then so should they <_<

The thing that pissed me off about C.D. BABY is I purchased a DIRTY PENNY c.d. and it was in a cardboard sleeve.. :doh:

Everything else was cool..

The debut? Mate, unfortunately that CD was only ever released in that format. As far as I know anyway. I ordered direct from the band and got the same. :( It is annoying, but at least the CD kicks ass.

The thing that pissed me off about C.D. BABY is I purchased a DIRTY PENNY c.d. and it was in a cardboard sleeve.. :doh:

The debut? Mate, unfortunately that CD was only ever released in that format. As far as I know anyway. I ordered direct from the band and got the same. :( It is annoying, but at least the CD kicks ass.

It does rock Geoff, but they should at least tell you, no?

Yeah, for sure mate. I'd still have bought it because as I say, as far as I know it was only released like that and a cardboard sleeve is better than no CD at all, but it would be good to know for people who would actually refrain from purchasing it because of that.

Yeah, for sure mate. I'd still have bought it because as I say, as far as I know it was only released like that and a cardboard sleeve is better than no CD at all, but it would be good to know for people who would actually refrain from purchasing it because of that.

You know, i'd probably buy it again if it came in a jewelcase... :blink:

You know, i'd probably buy it again if it came in a jewelcase... :blink:

Yeah, I'd be looking to try and sell mine and use the cash to buy one in a jewel case too. Those cardboard sleeves are just completely overlooked and forgotten about in a CD collection.

I just got my order from CDBaby today. No CD-Rs, but one of the discs (Ravage's FREEDOM FIGHTER EP) is in a cardboard sleeve. Bogus-ity. :(