How the hell did the aussies get out of that one...?

glam_junkie

No-one in their right mind would have put anything on Australia on the end of day 3 in the 2nd test against Pakistan.

When you score 127 in the first innsings and then have a lead of only 70 with 2 wickets in hand you have no right to even contemplating winning the test. Considering it was only day 4 when the Pakistanis were chasing i thought the aussies would have needed atleast 220+ to have any chance.

Listenign to it on the radio on the way home from work, and then catching the last hour on tv, it was a pretty amazing turn-around from where they were at the start of the day.

Any body else catch the conclusion of this one?

No-one in their right mind would have put anything on Australia on the end of day 3 in the 2nd test against Pakistan.

When you score 127 in the first innsings and then have a lead of only 70 with 2 wickets in hand you have no right to even contemplating winning the test. Considering it was only day 4 when the Pakistanis were chasing i thought the aussies would have needed atleast 220+ to have any chance.

Listenign to it on the radio on the way home from work, and then catching the last hour on tv, it was a pretty amazing turn-around from where they were at the start of the day.

Any body else catch the conclusion of this one?

I'll be darned if I can understand a single concept you just wrote. What is this, full-contact badminten? Bocce ball? :lol:

I'll be darned if I can understand a single concept you just wrote. What is this, full-contact badminten? Bocce ball? :lol:

T'was that lovely sport... cricket.

In US sporting terms it was like being 9-0 down with an innings to play in baseball, or 40 points down in a basketball match at half time, and then coming back to win the game. It just doesn't happen.

It has happened a few times before, most memorably when England were 227 behind against the Aussies after the first innings, then Botham came on Kicked serious ass with 149 and left the Aussies needing 130 to win. Bob Willis destroyed their batting with figures of 8/43 in the second innings and England got them all out for 111. Historically, one of the best games of cricket ever.

With the Aussies anything is possible seeing as they are 'Allegedly' still the number one team in the world, so this came as no real surprise. They certainly shouldn't have got themselves into this situation in the first place to be honest, especially when you look at how bad the Pakistani's can be (and their batting on this ocassion was appaling to say the least). Well done anyways for the series win.

Yep was listening to this on radio and caught the end when i got home. Amazing performance by a few of the lesser names. Is it just me or could we drop Clarke... and Ponting lose captaincy?

Btw, for your info Dan, the US has a national cricket team who are in Div 5 of the world Cricket league :). They recently lost to Jersey and Nepal.

Amazing performance by a few of the lesser names.

That's the whole squad then, except Ponting, Clarke and Hussey?

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo they cried ;)

That was an impressive win to say the least. Can never write those Aussies off. Plus is nice to see England show a bit off bottle too and hold of South Africa - will be an amazing 12 months or so if we can beat both Australia and SA....

That was an impressive win to say the least. Can never write those Aussies off. Plus is nice to see England show a bit off bottle too and hold of South Africa - will be an amazing 12 months or so if we can beat both Australia and SA....

England were excellent yesterday, especially Collingwood and Bell. To bat for over 5 sessions and hold off the South Africans is quite some feat, although they did make us bite out nails somewhat at the end (again). We can only win or draw the series now, which is also very impressive on away soil.

Mate, the only reason they arsed this win is because Pakistan in the field are a joke and bar one or two of their batsmen, the rest of them are likewise.

This Australian side is very average at their best and if ever the Poms are going to beat us in a series here, it will be against this current team.

It has happened a few times before, most memorably when England were 227 behind against the Aussies after the first innings, then Botham came on Kicked serious ass with 149 and left the Aussies needing 130 to win. Bob Willis destroyed their batting with figures of 8/43 in the second innings and England got them all out for 111. Historically, one of the best games of cricket ever.

With the Aussies anything is possible seeing as they are 'Allegedly' still the number one team in the world, so this came as no real surprise. They certainly shouldn't have got themselves into this situation in the first place to be honest, especially when you look at how bad the Pakistani's can be (and their batting on this ocassion was appaling to say the least). Well done anyways for the series win.

Do you think it should be us then? I think we're a way off, but if we continue to improve it could happen. I don't think we'll get stuffed 5-0 in teh Ashes next time in Oz, but I can't seeing us winning out there either. Maybe in a few years' time...

Very pleased to see Bell pulling his weight at last. Just need 2 or 3 quality players waiting in the wings as back up (the Aussies usually have a full 11 reserve players that would beat most Test teams).

Do you think it should be us then? I think we're a way off, but if we continue to improve it could happen. I don't think we'll get stuffed 5-0 in teh Ashes next time in Oz, but I can't seeing us winning out there either. Maybe in a few years' time...

Very pleased to see Bell pulling his weight at last. Just need 2 or 3 quality players waiting in the wings as back up (the Aussies usually have a full 11 reserve players that would beat most Test teams).

No mate I don't think it is us, although I will say we are improving all the time and I really like the squad England have at the moment. I'd rate The Indians as the best overall in the world, followed by Sri Lanka and very closely behind South Africa, England and Australia all pretty much equal. All of them can beat each other at the moment, depending on who turns up to be honest.

No mate I don't think it is us, although I will say we are improving all the time and I really like the squad England have at the moment. I'd rate The Indians as the best overall in the world, followed by Sri Lanka and very closely behind South Africa, England and Australia all pretty much equal. All of them can beat each other at the moment, depending on who turns up to be honest.

Have to agree about India, although I'll take the Aussies above Sri Lanka as a Test side. We are so close though, just need some consistency and 4 or 5 more squad players to show some class and anything can happen!

I missed all this but overheard someone's car radio in a beach carpark somewhere and I thought it was the other way round - that the Aussies had lost an impossible lead. It was only yesterday I found out they won. Yay, I guess. :lol:

I'd probably put India/Australia/South Africa all about level at the moment. I honestly think we could beat any of them on a good day, but we're not yet consistent enough. You still can't write-off the Aussies....

Mate, the only reason they arsed this win is because Pakistan in the field are a joke and bar one or two of their batsmen, the rest of them are likewise.

Need I say anymore !!!!!!!!

They dropped Ponting {An absolute sitter} before he had even scored and he then goes on to make 209 himself.

The two run outs in Pakistan's innings were laughable and one of them being their captain and best batsman and the look on his face he gave the clown down the other end who run him out was priceless.

The best stare down I have ever seen !!!!!

Anyone know how the last Test went between Sth Africa and England :whistle::lol:

Anyone know how the last Test went between Sth Africa and England :whistle::lol:

Ha ha ha ... ! :tumbsup:

The Proteas’ Castle Test squad returned to the brand of cricket that made them invincible in 2008 to trounce England by an innings and 74 runs in the final Castle Test match at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium on Sunday.

This resulted levelled the four-match series at 1-1 and enabled them to share the Castle Trophy and retain the Basil d’Oliveira Trophy which they won in England in 2008.

The Proteas’ brand has been based on a top six making sufficient runs to make victory possible and then striking with three fast and aggressive bowlers.

And that is exactly what happened as the game came to an early conclusion at the lunch interval on the fourth day with England losing their last seven wickets for 121 runs.

It was the second time in the match they had failed to bat 50 overs and, if there had not been weather delays, the match would barely have lasted until lunch time on the third day.

Their top order simply had no answer to the pace, movement and bounce of Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel who were assisted by some fine catching close to the wickets. Seven of England’s wickets in the second innings fell to catches either by the wicketkeeper or the slips.

Steyn and Morkel shared 14 wickets and were deservedly named as joint Castle Man of the Match.

What would have been equally pleasing for the South African strategists was the debut form of Wayne Parnell who took two key wickets in the second innings in Andrew Strauss and Kevin Pietersen. He benefited from the aggression of Steyn and Morkel who forced virtually all of the batsmen back on their stumps allowing the left-hander to bowl a full length and gain swing, particularly against the left-handers.

The only England batsman to stand his ground was, as usual, Paul Collingwood who made 71 off 88 balls with 12 fours and a six. He benefited from a few edges into gaps as he made a positive attempt to get England back into positive territory.

But, apart from a 40-runs stand with the out-of-touch Pietersen, he played a lone hand.

Mark Boucher and Graeme Swann were named joint Castle Man of the Series. Boucher was one of four South African batsmen to make more than 300 runs and also made 16 dismissals. Swann won the man-of-the-match award in the first two games and was the leading wicket-taker in the series on either side.

Ha ha ha ... ! :tumbsup:

The Proteas’ Castle Test squad returned to the brand of cricket that made them invincible in 2008 to trounce England by an innings and 74 runs in the final Castle Test match at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium on Sunday.

This resulted levelled the four-match series at 1-1 and enabled them to share the Castle Trophy and retain the Basil d’Oliveira Trophy which they won in England in 2008.

The Proteas’ brand has been based on a top six making sufficient runs to make victory possible and then striking with three fast and aggressive bowlers.

And that is exactly what happened as the game came to an early conclusion at the lunch interval on the fourth day with England losing their last seven wickets for 121 runs.

It was the second time in the match they had failed to bat 50 overs and, if there had not been weather delays, the match would barely have lasted until lunch time on the third day.

Their top order simply had no answer to the pace, movement and bounce of Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel who were assisted by some fine catching close to the wickets. Seven of England’s wickets in the second innings fell to catches either by the wicketkeeper or the slips.

Steyn and Morkel shared 14 wickets and were deservedly named as joint Castle Man of the Match.

What would have been equally pleasing for the South African strategists was the debut form of Wayne Parnell who took two key wickets in the second innings in Andrew Strauss and Kevin Pietersen. He benefited from the aggression of Steyn and Morkel who forced virtually all of the batsmen back on their stumps allowing the left-hander to bowl a full length and gain swing, particularly against the left-handers.

The only England batsman to stand his ground was, as usual, Paul Collingwood who made 71 off 88 balls with 12 fours and a six. He benefited from a few edges into gaps as he made a positive attempt to get England back into positive territory.

But, apart from a 40-runs stand with the out-of-touch Pietersen, he played a lone hand.

Mark Boucher and Graeme Swann were named joint Castle Man of the Series. Boucher was one of four South African batsmen to make more than 300 runs and also made 16 dismissals. Swann won the man-of-the-match award in the first two games and was the leading wicket-taker in the series on either side.

Strange how the match report forgot to mention South Africa's extra man, Aussie Daryl Harper they had playing for them AGAIN :whistle:

A series draw on home soil, mainly down to 2 men in Smith and Kallis! Not a great result for the South Africans really, especially as the Aussies turned them over recently aswell.

Strange how the match report forgot to mention South Africa's extra man, Aussie Daryl Harper they had playing for them AGAIN :whistle:

A series draw on home soil, mainly down to 2 men in Smith and Kallis! Not a great result for the South Africans really, especially as the Aussies turned them over recently aswell.

To be expected response frrom a true Brit !! :tumbsup:

To be expected response frrom a true Brit !! :tumbsup:

Not really mate, just a truthful observastion ;)

• 7 months later...