Very curious question about Blue Tears

Leykis101

Most bands record a few tracks when their doing an album right? or do they record just the amount that's going on the disc? I'm very very curious to know if there are any other Cole produced Blue Tears trax, that were maybe left off the album, or they didn't like, wouldn't that be absolutelty mindblowing? to hear trax of that qualityand sound that just didn't go on the album for some reason.

Most bands record a few tracks when their doing an album right? or do they record just the amount that's going on the disc? I'm very very curious to know if there are any other Cole produced Blue Tears trax, that were maybe left off the album, or they didn't like, wouldn't that be absolutelty mindblowing? to hear trax of that qualityand sound that just didn't go on the album for some reason.

You know there were two albums of leftover Blue Tears stuff?

But nothing that was done with MCA was on any of those albums, I mean songs Produced by David Cole during the recording of S/T, songs that got recorded and didn't make the cd, but were all ready to go on it! get what I'm saying? Like what was the B-Side to Rockin With The Radio? it seems like it wasn't on the full length album, but it might have been cause I can't remember what song it was

But nothing that was done with MCA was on any of those albums, I mean songs Produced by David Cole during the recording of S/T, songs that got recorded and didn't make the cd, but were all ready to go on it! get what I'm saying? Like what was the B-Side to Rockin With The Radio? it seems like it wasn't on the full length album, but it might have been cause I can't remember what song it was

I have the CD single of "Rockin With The Radio"...there is no other track on there.

how about the single for Crush, maybe I'm thinking of something else, either way I'm curious to know if MCA has any tracks that were held off of the album.

I don't know, maybe the stuff for the second album was, but I didn't hear anything on those albums that sounded like it was off or couldve been off that firtst album,and I didn't see Coles name on any of the credits,with all the trouble they had with Mca its hard seeing them using any of mca licensed shit,if that were the case u figure they would let suncity re-release the s/t.

I don't know, maybe the stuff for the second album was, but I didn't hear anything on those albums that sounded like it was off or couldve been off that firtst album,and I didn't see Coles name on any of the credits,with all the trouble they had with Mca its hard seeing them using any of mca licensed shit,if that were the case u figure they would let suncity re-release the s/t.

According to David from suncity records, there's enough material for another Blue Tears release with around 5 incredible mhr songs.

I'm also sure there's a handfull of tracks recorded with the original Blue Tears singer Roger Lapointe, the same guy that released "Tie Your Up" cd around 20 years ago.

All up I'd dare say Gregg's got enough material for 2 more albums worth at the very least.

R.I.P Gregg

Ok but here's what I'm saying, say they (Blue Tears & David Cole) did 15 songs, MCA said we only want 10 of those on the album, so those 10 were S/T, the other 5 would still be licensed by MCA, right? so more then likely those would be sitting on a shelf at MCA and not obtainable to Dave at Suncity, my question is does anybody know if there are any of these trax that exsist?

To me, 'Summer Girl' and 'Kisses In The Dark' (minus the production on that one) sound like they're fresh from the same recording sessions as the s/t disc. Randomly, I also get that feel with 'She Wants To Be A Star' off the 'Innocent Ones' disc.

I was actually amazed, reading Wikipedia after Gregg's untimely death, that Blue Tears had been around since 1983! It really made me wonder about when those songs on the 2 Suncity releases were actually recorded, and made sense to me why many sound very different to the perfection of the s/t disc.

Part of the reason they might not be as polished is that maybe they only did the full production job after the track listing was finalised.

I'm sure some of the tracks off those two CDs are from the same sessions.

Dont forget Loud guitars.. was released by Contraband only a year after the debut Blue Tears CD.

It could be that Contraband recorded it first, but its more than likely that it was a cast off from the debut rather than recorded for the second!

To me, 'Summer Girl' and 'Kisses In The Dark' (minus the production on that one) sound like they're fresh from the same recording sessions as the s/t disc. Randomly, I also get that feel with 'She Wants To Be A Star' off the 'Innocent Ones' disc.

I was actually amazed, reading Wikipedia after Gregg's untimely death, that Blue Tears had been around since 1983! It really made me wonder about when those songs on the 2 Suncity releases were actually recorded, and made sense to me why many sound very different to the perfection of the s/t disc.

I believe a couple of songs off the Innocent ones and the Attraction 65 disc, were re-recorded older Blue Tears songs!

I believe a couple of songs off the Innocent ones and the Attraction 65 disc, were re-recorded older Blue Tears songs!

Yeah, I know of a few. I was always curious about 'She wants to be a star' as it had never popped up before in those old demos, but sure sounds like vintage Blue Tears.

Back in the mid 90's, I picked up a demo of Blue Tears with 16 or 17 tracks that were alledged to have been produced by David Cole of unreleased Blue Tears material.....

Eventually, I put this stuff all on CDR and it sounds great.....not sure which, if any of these tracks made it on the Suncity release as I never picked it up, but, here are the track titles:

Call My Name

A Date With Destiny

Our Love Is Strong

Storm In My Heart

Kisses In The Dark

Live it Up

Rock You To Heaven

Long Way Home

Slip And Fall

Wild Wild Ride

Girl Crazy

Dangerous

Love To Shame

Everywhere I Go

Mystery Man

Kiss 'N Tell

Do You Want Me

Maybe someone who has the Suncity release can check these titles against their copy to see what is on there........

Back in the mid 90's, I picked up a demo of Blue Tears with 16 or 17 tracks that were alledged to have been produced by David Cole of unreleased Blue Tears material.....

Eventually, I put this stuff all on CDR and it sounds great.....not sure which, if any of these tracks made it on the Suncity release as I never picked it up, but, here are the track titles:

Call My Name

A Date With Destiny

Our Love Is Strong

Storm In My Heart

Kisses In The Dark

Live it Up

Rock You To Heaven

Long Way Home

Slip And Fall

Wild Wild Ride

Girl Crazy

Dangerous

Love To Shame

Everywhere I Go

Mystery Man

Kiss 'N Tell

Do You Want Me

Maybe someone who has the Suncity release can check these titles against their copy to see what is on there........

Bar 3 or 4, all of those are on the Suncity releases.

Yeah, I know of a few. I was always curious about 'She wants to be a star' as it had never popped up before in those old demos, but sure sounds like vintage Blue Tears.

As has been said, theres loads more unreleased songs, so its entirely possible thats one of them.

From what I have been reading elsewhere, some of the stuff on the Suncity releases was demos from the first album, some was from the second album and some was pre-debut stuff.

From this, you can only assume that they recorded shit loads of songs for the debut, but only the ones that made the album got the full production treatment as I said.

Somehow I doubt Cole would have been willing to produce more songs than he had to, considering how much work went into them.

Plus, a record lable generally only pays an artist and producer for a certain amount of songs per album.

I remember reading an interview years ago with an artist I cant remember, who said the record label was only willing to pay them for x amount of songs on their new album, but they had more songs that they felt needed to be on the album, so they recorded them on their own dime.

BTW, reading a review of the Suncity releases on Sleaze Roxx, and Skid also thought Kisses in the dark was from the debut sessions.

Call My Name

A Date With Destiny

Our Love Is Strong

Storm In My Heart

Kisses In The Dark

Live it Up

Rock You To Heaven

Long Way Home

Slip And Fall

Wild Wild Ride

Girl Crazy

Dangerous

Love To Shame

Everywhere I Go

Mystery Man

Kiss 'N Tell

Do You Want Me

Bar 3 or 4, all of those are on the Suncity releases.

That's the CDR I had for ages too.

I'm going to shoot off another email to Cole, usually those "high end" people will only respond once, but it's worth a try, I'm so damn curious, I'd really really like to know how the scenario went, I need to word it simply, so it doesn't sound like I'm asking to much, i'll give it a try, I sent that other email last night and he responded this morning. So hopefully this will provide some if not all the answers about all these songs.

Ok but here's what I'm saying, say they (Blue Tears & David Cole) did 15 songs, MCA said we only want 10 of those on the album, so those 10 were S/T, the other 5 would still be licensed by MCA, right? so more then likely those would be sitting on a shelf at MCA and not obtainable to Dave at Suncity, my question is does anybody know if there are any of these trax that exsist?

Well MCA doesn't really exist anymore anyway (it's all part of Universal I believe) but they would've had no reason to hold on to any left-over tracks. Bands usually write & demo a lot of songs for an album - sometimes, if you're Metallica or Bon Jovi upwards of 30-40 - and then tracks fall by the wayside at various points throughout recording. I doubt BLUE TEARS would'be had the budget to have recorded/mixed & fully produce any more than the final 10 cuts that made the CD (plus a couple of single b-sides). Therefore tracks not making the final CD wouldn't have been anything more than demo's. BLUE TEARS must have made a shit-load of demo's for this S/T CD as there are so many tracks floating round, so the album selection process must've been interesting!

As someone above mentioned, a few of the tracks on the ATTRACTION 65 disc were originally written for the BLUE TEARS disc but were dropped (presumably pretty early) once Fulkerson/Spiers realised they weren't in the style of the rest of the disc....

P.s. If you have Cole's email address, send him some of these threads as links. I reckon if he knows there's a lot of interest from fans he might share some insight into the recording process....

Well MCA doesn't really exist anymore anyway (it's all part of Universal I believe) but they would've had no reason to hold on to any left-over tracks. Bands usually write & demo a lot of songs for an album - sometimes, if you're Metallica or Bon Jovi upwards of 30-40 - and then tracks fall by the wayside at various points throughout recording. I doubt BLUE TEARS would'be had the budget to have recorded/mixed & fully produce any more than the final 10 cuts that made the CD (plus a couple of single b-sides). Therefore tracks not making the final CD wouldn't have been anything more than demo's. BLUE TEARS must have made a shit-load of demo's for this S/T CD as there are so many tracks floating round, so the album selection process must've been interesting!

As someone above mentioned, a few of the tracks on the ATTRACTION 65 disc were originally written for the BLUE TEARS disc but were dropped (presumably pretty early) once Fulkerson/Spiers realised they weren't in the style of the rest of the disc....

Yup, thats pretty much what I have been saying all along.

Record labels dont tend to spend money on producing anything more than the number of tracks they want for an album release, especially for a band who was on their first album.

Even big bands like the aforementioned Jovi and Metallica would be given budgets for producing many more tracks than the final tracklisting.

The most you would get extra is the b-sides as you say, or maybe one or two tracks for a Jap issue.

If you look at most reissues that have bonus tracks, and you will notice that the bonus songs tend to not have the same production of the main album unless they have been remastered at a later date, or have been available before on a single or soundtrack etc.

I guess I was just wishful thinking! thats all.