Your verdict on these lyrics

'Jesus Christ, I want to serve you... I want what you want for me.'  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just listening to Stryper's 'Reborn' album yesterday and I don't aim to start a Christian-bashing thread... I just think these lyrics are probably the worst I have ever heard in a song, ever. I was driving along and the song came on and dropped into the chorus and I wanted to kill someone.

So what's your verdict on these lyrics, from Stryper's 'Passion' off the album, 'Reborn'.

'Jesus Christ, I want to serve you... I want what you want for me.'

EDIT: Okay, so I know I wrote "I could have wrote them myself' but it looks like I can't edit poll choices. :(

None of the options, because they don't bother me/ annoy me or anything, like most lyrics from most bands I listen to. They are a Christian band and have always written songs with a strong message about their faith in their lyrics, so it is to be expected. I'm not a religious person really, but there are quite a few christian bands/Artists I listen to like Stryper, Petra, Michael W. Smith etc who all have a quite religious theme to their lyrics and their songs, but to be honest, I listen for the music not the lyrical content. Easy answer is don't listen to them if they bother you that much.

None of the options, because they don't bother me/ annoy me or anything, like most lyrics from most bands I listen to. They are a Christian band and have always written songs with a strong message about their faith in their lyrics, so it is to be expected. I'm not a religious person really, but there are quite a few christian bands/Artists I listen to like Stryper, Petra, Michael W. Smith etc who all have a quite religious theme to their lyrics and their songs, but to be honest, I listen for the music not the lyrical content. Easy answer is don't listen to them if they bother you that much.

But sometimes the music is worth the pain. It doesn't mean I have to accept that sort of lyrical content. It just makes me so angry every time. :lol: I guess I'm a masochist of sorts?

I do find that if I listen to one Christian album at a time I'm usually okay. It's just when I hear a few really blatant bands in a row (I've just spun Rage of Angels and Refugee earlier) I just start getting fired up.

but to be honest, I listen for the music not the lyrical content.

I wonder if that's also a reason our tastes are often so wildly different.

There was a poll once and I stated that the music is extremely important for me, but a lot of my all-time favourite songs are just that due to a connection with the lyrics. Music can blow my mind, but for a song to truly hit the spot the lyrics are the key. It explains why you'd never appreciate Cauterize either.

but to be honest, I listen for the music not the lyrical content.

I wonder if that's also a reason our tastes are often so wildly different.

There was a poll once and I stated that the music is extremely important for me, but a lot of my all-time favourite songs are just that due to a connection with the lyrics. Music can blow my mind, but for a song to truly hit the spot the lyrics are the key. It explains why you'd never appreciate Cauterize either.

Musically (songwriting/playing) it has to grab me first, then the rest follows. Of course I can appreciate good lyrics to a song and would prefer a song with a great set of words, but they are secondary. If you can't do the first 2 then you haven't got a hope with me - Cauterize were one such occasion, A big fat Zero rating on the Jez musical scale, in all departments.

:agree:

I hated that particular album, but not because of the lyrics (I listen to a lot of Christian bands and the whole "Onward Christian Soldiers" thing is part and parcel of that scene, of course) ...

• 2023 Gold Donors

Tend to like the christian bands who are a little more philosophical in their lyrics.Not so point blank.They wouldn't be 'compromising the gospel' they actually would be getting their message to a wider audience.Whitecross for example are a great f'n band but some of those lyrics i wish they'd word a little different if you know what i mean.

I figure, Christian bands have every right to be just as cheesy and over-the-top in their lyrics as their Satan lovin' counterparts.

As I've said many a time, I couldn't care less if a band worships God, Satan, Captain Kirk or the Teletubbies. If it's a good band, it's a good band. Lyrics are generally not a make-or-break for me. Hell, I listen to the Mentors, for cryin' out loud.

Geoff, nothing personal, 'cause you know I like ya, mate, but it has always been a pet peeve of mine when folks bash a Christian band for having Christian lyrics. It makes me want to shout, "HEY, FUCKTARD, THEY'RE A CHRISTIAN BAND, FOR GOD'S SAKE!" (pun intended).

So why don't you stop listening to this kind of music that clearly pisses you off and puts you in a murderous rage. Or, if you must listen to it, stop bitching about it every time you do. It's like listening to a domestic abuse victim cry about getting smacked around and then watching her go back to her abuser over and over again to soak up some more punishment.

Personally, I think Slayer has some great thrashin' metal music, but their sometimes-Satanic/anti-Christian lyrics irritate me, so you know what I do? I don't listen to Slayer! It's called common sense. I suggest you look into it, good buddy.

Rant over. Thanks for listening...or not.

Geoff, nothing personal, 'cause you know I like ya, mate, but it has always been a pet peeve of mine when folks bash a Christian band for having Christian lyrics. It makes me want to shout, "HEY, FUCKTARD, THEY'RE A CHRISTIAN BAND, FOR GOD'S SAKE!" (pun intended).

But as Metal T very wisely said above, there is an intelligent way to go about it and a "hey, look at me I'm a moron" way to go about it. :) Holy Soldier never pissed me off. Disciple's last 3 albums don't piss me off. 90% of the modern hard rock bands (eg Anberlin) who turn out to be christians don't piss me off. The better christian artists are able to create great music, get their little message across to the hungry clowns waiting on every hidden message in every lyric to turn it christian... and they can do this all without annoying non-believers.

My opinion on music is no different than my thoughts on people in everyday life. I don't mind if someone is christian or a homosexual as long as they don't ram it down my throat. Once that starts to happen I feel the desire to cause pain. :)

I listen to Stryper because not every single one of their songs is blatant, but some are. And it's only hearing those ones that make me want to slap people with trouts. As I have said a million times, 'Against the Law' is BY MILES Stryper's best album, and it doesn't take much to figure out why.

So why don't you stop listening to this kind of music that clearly pisses you off and puts you in a murderous rage. Or, if you must listen to it, stop bitching about it every time you do. It's like listening to a domestic abuse victim cry about getting smacked around and then watching her go back to her abuser over and over again to soak up some more punishment.

Another example you could use is to not read my posts on such subjects? Which is apparently everytime I hear a christian band, so there must be a lot of them. Surely you'd start ignoring them by now? :)

Personally, I think Slayer has some great thrashin' metal music, but their sometimes-Satanic/anti-Christian lyrics irritate me, so you know what I do? I don't listen to Slayer! It's called common sense. I suggest you look into it, good buddy.

As noted above, 95% of the really blatant christian bands last 2 seconds in my ears, but the ones that survive are either exceptionally excellent musically, the less preachy (more subtle) in the lyrics or the 50/50 (like Stryper). Even in Stryper's case, I skip through the majority of their catalogue when listening to it. This particular issue arose because I just scored 'Reborn' in a trade and always listen to new CDs from start to finish several times before selecting skippable tracks.

Stop reading my posts, you christian freak, if you get so worked up. ;):lol:

Stryper was, is, and probably always will be a Christian band who boldly & blatantly sing about their beliefs and I see no reason for them to water down their message to suit those who don't share their faith. Some Christian bands choose to use the name of Jesus in their lyrics, others choose a more subtle route; just because you prefer one doesn't make the others "morons." Like anything musically, it pretty much comes down to personal preference. Personally, I enjoy both styles (lyrically-speaking, I mean) of Christian rock/metal and don't claim one is a better artist than the other.

Funny, mate, that you should mention how you don't like Christianity (or homosexuality) in-your-face or rammed down your throat, when I have often thought you are more zealous in your anti-Christianity than I am with my Christianity. You frequently make sure everyone knows you dislike religion, Christianity, Biblical lyrics, etc. But do you see the Christians on this board constantly making sure everyone knows about our faith? Bottom line, my friend, it seems to me you ram your anti-religion rhetoric down peoples' throat far more than the religious folks broadcast their beliefs. :)

And I'm sorry, but I can't stop reading your posts. I am addicted to your inane ramblings. :crazy: I'm not proud of it, but it's the truth. Of course, I think that you are also secretly a homosexual Christian and your online rages are simply a smokescreen to hide the truth. But I'm onto you, boy...time to come out of the closet and declare your love for Christ and cock-chugging. :wub:

Jesus? Is that what they're saying? Aw man, I thought they were saying "cheeses", I love cheese... this sucks, I'm putting my Stryper and Guardian discs on eBay immediately.

"Cheeeeeese-es... they make me want to SIIIIIIINNNNG!" :guitar:

Jesus? Is that what they're saying? Aw man, I thought they were saying "cheeses", I love cheese... this sucks, I'm putting my Stryper and Guardian discs on eBay immediately.

"Cheeeeeese-es... they make me want to SIIIIIIINNNNG!" :guitar:

Next you guys'll be telling me Jeff Keith's not actually saying "I'm getting Cheddar every day"... <_<

Funny, mate, that you should mention how you don't like Christianity (or homosexuality) in-your-face or rammed down your throat, when I have often thought you are more zealous in your anti-Christianity than I am with my Christianity. You frequently make sure everyone knows you dislike religion, Christianity, Biblical lyrics, etc. But do you see the Christians on this board constantly making sure everyone knows about our faith? Bottom line, my friend, it seems to me you ram your anti-religion rhetoric down peoples' throat far more than the religious folks broadcast their beliefs. :)

And I'm sorry, but I can't stop reading your posts. I am addicted to your inane ramblings. :crazy: I'm not proud of it, but it's the truth. Of course, I think that you are also secretly a homosexual Christian and your online rages are simply a smokescreen to hide the truth. But I'm onto you, boy...time to come out of the closet and declare your love for Christ and cock-chugging. :wub:

Nah, I don't think I ram anything down anyone's throats. If you honestly looked - out of my thousands of posts - how many I'd made about religion I think you'd find the percentage to be around the 1% or less mark. You probably only notice them because the subject hits home to your good self moreso than others, or because of the sheer volume of posts I make in general it seems I post about religion, but I promise you I am not ramming my hatred for religion down anyone's throats.

I was actually just thinking yesterday (when you made the "common sense" comment :P ) that this is the only place I ever tone down my thoughts on religion, purely for the sake of some fine gents like yourself.

And the reason I hate christianity is not because I'm a homosexual christian, but because I'm a homosexual muslim. You know one of us is wrong and has wasted all this time and effort, and that's why I hate christians. I sure will have egg on my face if you guys are right and my silly little Allah turns out to be a hoax.

...I'm a homosexual Muslim.

This does explain a lot. By the way, when you are balls-deep in another Muslim's ass, is it true that you don't say, "Oh God," but rather "Oh Allah"? Somehow it just doesn't have the same ring to it...

...I'm a homosexual Muslim.

This does explain a lot. By the way, when you are balls-deep in another Muslim's ass, is it true that you don't say, "Oh God," but rather "Oh Allah"? Somehow it just doesn't have the same ring to it...

You know it, mate. ;) Allahdamn I love a man with a beard and a turban. I never know which one to hold on to.

My honest answer to this probably mirrors Jez's comments for the most part.

I'd go as far as to say that I am anti-religion, but believe in to each their own, so when I listen to Stryper I do so accepting that I am listening to a band who are proud to be christian, and want to let the world know that.

I listen to Stryper for the music, the specifics of the lyrics are secondary.

I think the only time I would not listen to a song because of lyrical content is if its something totally disgusting like praising pedophilia or something like that.