Question about reissues

I love reissues, but I love the original artwork. I hate when bands change the artwork.

Even if the band has the most shittiest artwork, I like my c.d.'s to be as close to the vinyl as possible.

Here are a few:

PROPHET-PROPHET

DARK ANGEL-WE HAVE ARRIVED

SCORPIONS-LOVE DRIVE

SCORPIONS-VIRGIN KILLERS

IVORY TOWER-IN THE HEART OF THE CITY

Just to name a few. Mostly for two reasons they do this crap. #1 The band is too embaressed from what they looked like. #2 They or label censor the album.

It's just my opinion.

Yeah the Reckless re-issue on Rock Candy had different artwork from the original vinyl.

But I have to say the original sleeve was horrible (although I think Faron liked it...he even has it as a duvet cover I believe hahahahaha!) :)

I think the Scorps had to change most of their artwork for their American release just because some of the original stuff was too nasty for our sensitive American eyes.

I prefer the original artwork myself, it's waht you are used to seeing and when they reissue the album with different art it's a bit of a letdown.

I have a copy of UFO's Force It on Chrysalis and it's a U.S. copy, the figures in the shower are almost transparent whereas the vinyl version they are normal / solid.

I love reissues, but I love the original artwork. I hate when bands change the artwork.

Even if the band has the most shittiest artwork, I like my c.d.'s to be as close to the vinyl as possible.

Here are a few:

SCORPIONS-LOVE DRIVE

Just to name a few. Mostly for two reasons they do this crap. #1 The band is too embaressed from what they looked like. #2 They or label censor the album.

It's just my opinion.

I`ve never seen a different Lovedrive cover to the classic original. :unsure:

Yeah the Reckless re-issue on Rock Candy had different artwork from the original vinyl.

But I have to say the original sleeve was horrible (although I think Faron liked it...he even has it as a duvet cover I believe hahahahaha!) :)

:rofl2:

I was playing the Reckless album earlier today and thought about the cover, definitely prefer the original cover, not sure why, it`s just different.

I have a copy of UFO's Force It on Chrysalis and it's a U.S. copy, the figures in the shower are almost transparent whereas the vinyl version they are normal / solid.

That annoyed me too, great cover as well :tumbsup:

I was playing the Reckless album earlier today and thought about the cover, definitely prefer the original cover, not sure why, it`s just different.

I'm with ya there Faron! :tumbsup:

The LOVEDRIVE album just had a big blue scorpion on the cover if i'm not mistaken. I did not know about the U.F.O. album though. :unsure:

I don't mind it too much as long as they have a shot of the original somewhere in the booklet.

Like the LITA FORD-OUT FOR BLOOD c.d.?

I was actually thinking about the Attacker releases on Sentinel Steel but Lita will do just fine. :tumbsup:

I don't mind it too much as long as they have a shot of the original somewhere in the booklet.

Like the Scorpions, I dont think the cover change was as reissue, I'm sure it was down to a form of censorship.

The same happened with Appetite for destruction, Slippery when wet and Open up and say ahh.

I always hated the reissue cover that Perris put on Leather boyz by Pretty Boy Floyd.

I did too. Before I had an original copy I printed out a scan of the original cover and put it inside the jewel tray under a clear cover. It did the trick and looked pretty cool as well when you opened the case.

I always hated the reissue cover that Perris put on Leather boyz by Pretty Boy Floyd.

backed :tumbsup:

I did like the reissue artwork better on Vyper's - "Prepared To Strike"...good job RETROSPECT!! :beerbang:

I'm with ya there Faron! :tumbsup:

The LOVEDRIVE album just had a big blue scorpion on the cover if i'm not mistaken. I did not know about the U.F.O. album though. :unsure:

Good man Dominick :tumbsup:

Cheers for the Lovedrive info :tumbsup:

Like the Scorpions, I dont think the cover change was as reissue, I'm sure it was down to a form of censorship.

The same happened with Appetite for destruction, Slippery when wet and Open up and say ahh.

Good point! :tumbsup:

Two others that fell to the hand of censorship were Hooked by Great White and Slave to the thrill by Hurricane.

Generally, with all of these censored albums, both cover versions were available, but record shops tended to go with the censored covers.

Flesh & Blood by Poison, and Amorica by Black Crowes also suffered from this, but to a minor degree.

Some reissued CD artwork changes are indeed because of concerns with censorship and prude music shops. But also more than likely, as a reissue, the CD has probably lost its licensing from the previous older issuing of the CD. If a CD has been reissued on another company that it previously was, the copyrights and usage license (if it still is in active) still belongs to the original holder of the copyrights which would be the first company or designer. A company can not just reissue a CD without getting permission to use the original artwork. Same goes to any type of company wanting to reissue a CD. It is a violation of copyright laws and could lead to a nice lawsuit and/or cease & desist letters being sent, also the total buy out of the unauthorised pressed stock of the CDs if there is a violation so no underhand selling is made.

I think this is a part of the reason so many recent albums (especially Cleopatra stuff) has already been reissued, and not just with a new cover, but a new album name as well!

Yeah, I prefer the original artwork too, no matter how bad it may originally have been. :) Just seems more... "proper".

Most times I prefer the reissues to have the original artwork... or at least, if they're gonna re-do the artwork, have the "old" artwork included either on the back cover of the booklet or somewhere inside (under the back tray of the CD perhaps).

A primo example would be the reissue of Megadeth's KILLING IS MY BUSINESS... AND BUSINESS IS GOOD! that came out on Loud Records back in '00 or '01. The new cover was pretty lame-o. Granted, the original cover was not exactly a masterpiece by any means, but it had a cheesy charm of its own. That was the version I owned growing up and that's the cover I want to see on the front when I upgrade to CD!!!

Old: megadethkillingismybusinessfro.jpg

New: 5808828fd7a0dc67c88b1110.L.jpg

Me no like. :thppt: