Modern Rock Fans - What would you do?

Geoff

Both bands are playing at the same time...  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay guys, here we go. I got the line-up for this Soundwave Festival I will be attending this Sunday. I have to admit, generally, it worked out excellent for me. Six stages and there will be a lot of walking / going from stage to stage, but I should get to see all the bands I want to see, except for one double-up...

RJA and Finch play at the same time - who would you see?

I'm leaning towards RJA because I like their debut and the new disc (spinning now) sounds pretty cool too. I think Finch's debut KILLS anything RJA will ever do, but will Finch play much off that, or just their later stuff, which I don't care for? It's a hard decision. Everytime I lean towards RJA I think I'd prefer Finch based on how awesome their debut is.

Who would you see?

As for the second poll, I don't really like any of those bands but they're all on later so I may as well see one, as I do have stuff from all (except In Flames). I'm leaning towards Alkaline Trio... who would you see?

Quite the predicament...

I'd go with seeing Finch over Red Jumpsuit purely because, as you say, they have some absolute killer songs which are better than any of Red Jumpsuits material. I don't think they'll disappoint.

As for the other group of bands, I'd recommend going with In Flames. They're a lot heavier than what I usually listen to but seeing them live, I don't think you could go wrong. Should be killer set of metal. I remember geting their Jester Race album years ago...some pretty good stuff on their as I recall.

Hope this helps...and enjoy the day!

Thanks guys (except Jez ;) ) and yeah, I think I'm going to end up going Justin's route. To explain further:

RJA are on at 4pm to 4:40pm on the stage right near where I'd be. Finch get on stage at 4:20pm and go to 5pm. So, either way, I should be able to catch the start of RJA and the end of Finch - depending on space between stages. But after listening to RJA's new disc (it was only okay for me) I think I'm going to go and see Finch. I need to find the MP3s of 'Say hello to sunshine' and also hear their new songs in Myspace too, just to recall how much I didn't like their newer stuff. 'What it is to burn' is soooo freakin' good, though.

And yeah, I was thinking In Flames will clearly be the better of those last 3 bands but the situation is that I'll be at the same stage as Alkaline Trio, or Emery are playing on the stage of the last band of the day I am watching. In Flames are on a whole separate stage. I'll have to try to listen to what I can from the 3 bands in the next couple of days. I remember when I first got into modern rock I dl'd Alkaline Trio's entire discography and although I only got one CDR's worth of tunes, they were pretty cool. Must find that CDR. I can't even remember Emery and never heard In Flames. :)

Okay Glen and Justin, this is what I've decided. If all goes according to plan (which I'm sure it won't) this is how I plan to spend this Sunday:

STAGE ONE: 12-12:30pm - Madina Lake

STAGE THREE: 12:30-1:00pm – Chiodos

1:20-2:00pm – Silverstein

STAGE ONE: 2:15-2:50pm – Forever the Sickest Kids

STAGE TWO: 2:50-3:25pm – Underoath (LEAVE EARLY)

STAGE ONE: 3:25-400pm – Anberlin

STAGE TWO: 4:00-4:40pm – Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (LEAVE EARLY)

STAGE THREE: 4:20-5:00pm – Finch

5:20-6:00pm – Funeral for a Friend

STAGE FIVE: 6:20-7:00pm – Houston Calls

STAGE THREE: 7:20-8:00pm – New Found Glory

8:20-9:00pm – Alkaline Trio

STAGE SIX: 9:20pm-10:00pm – From First to Last

STAGE FIVE: 10:10 – 10:40pm – Mike Herrera

The bands in bold are the ones I really want to see and the others are bands I will see to fill in time. :lol: I have no idea what the Chiodos or Mike Herrera (lead singer for the HORRID punk band MXPX apparently) sound like, but I may as well give them a go if I'm there. Underoath are not really my scene, but a good enough way to fill in time between shows, New Found Glory's last 2 albums are pretty cool so that's a decent addition and 'From First To Last aren't too bad either, so that'll be another decent addition.

The only band that I would have liked to see which will be completely barred is The Audition, who play at the same time as FFAF. Loved their debut but their sucky 2nd disc makes me not care too much.

Anyway, I'll try to get a report out if you guys are interested next week. Justin, you going to the Brisbane show?

Though it looks like you have already decided.... I'd go with seeing Finch over Red Jumpsuit. I've never seen RJA and I'm sure I will never make an effort to do so.... But I have seen Finch once. They were really good. As far as what they might play... I have no idea. I saw them after the debut was released which kind of limited their material.

In the secong section I've only seen In Flames. They were pretty good... I wouldn't make much effort to see them again. That being said, you might wanna check them out for a little while just to see and judge for yourself. I know tons of people thing they are the greatest thing to come along in years... but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Besides... I've never heard the other choices... :whistle:

Though it looks like you have already decided.... I'd go with seeing Finch over Red Jumpsuit. I've never seen RJA and I'm sure I will never make an effort to do so.... But I have seen Finch once. They were really good. As far as what they might play... I have no idea. I saw them after the debut was released which kind of limited their material.

In the secong section I've only seen In Flames. They were pretty good... I wouldn't make much effort to see them again. That being said, you might wanna check them out for a little while just to see and judge for yourself. I know tons of people thing they are the greatest thing to come along in years... but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Besides... I've never heard the other choices... :whistle:

Haha... thanks mate. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's going to be Finch. Unless RJA make it impossible to leave their show. I'm listening to RJA's debut again now and goddamn it's better than I remembered. :lol:

As for In Flames, I will try to hear some samples on the net before I write going to see them off completely.

I never heard R.J.A. I do know my friend's son is a big fan, so I would go see them. On the second part, I would go see IN FLAMES. I also wouldn't miss SILVERSTEIN :tumbsup:

I don't know if those festivals are like the ones in the U.S., but I like to walk around and pick up any free promo c.d.'s I can get my mits on!!! :bananamac:

Have a great time!!!

Definitely Finch, a good live band. Then I'd pick IN FLAMES, but you won't like them one bit as they're pretty thrashy - so take Alkaline Trio instead (kinda Modern Power-Pop with good harmonies)....

I don't know any of these bands, but have fun anyway, Geoff !! :beerbang::banger::beerbang:

BTW, the best bands on that entire bill are UNDEROATH and CHIODOS. Both awesome bands. I'd expect you to probably quite like both actually as they do the whole screaming/singing thing & are fairly melodic - especially the 2nd CHIODOS album which is killer stuff. I've seen FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND live several times & they were only okay. Bands like EMERY and RJA are pretty poor IMO. Nice bill though, I'd love to see that!

BTW, the best bands on that entire bill are UNDEROATH and CHIODOS. Both awesome bands. I'd expect you to probably quite like both actually as they do the whole screaming/singing thing & are fairly melodic - especially the 2nd CHIODOS album which is killer stuff. I've seen FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND live several times & they were only okay. Bands like EMERY and RJA are pretty poor IMO. Nice bill though, I'd love to see that!

Anberlin are the highlight on that bill for me.

Have a good time Geoff :drink:

Anberlin are the highlight on that bill for me.

Have a good time Geoff :drink:

I've seen RJA and they were very good live....very energetic show, so I would choose them over Finch......

I never heard R.J.A. I do know my friend's son is a big fan, so I would go see them. On the second part, I would go see IN FLAMES. I also wouldn't miss SILVERSTEIN :tumbsup:

I don't know if those festivals are like the ones in the U.S., but I like to walk around and pick up any free promo c.d.'s I can get my mits on!!! :bananamac:

Have a great time!!!

Free promos?!?!?! If I see any they won't escape my pocket, that's for sure. ;)

As for Silverstein, they're one of the main reasons I'm going. :) Saw them in 2006 on their 'Discovering the waterfront' tour and they kicked my ass. Since then they're released another killer disc, so I can't wait.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I have settled on Finch for now. And if I can see 20mins of RJA too I think I'd be content enough.

And Tim, can't believe Chiodos have escaped my ears. I'm not sure I'm going to have time to hear them before Sunday, but I'll make it one of my missions. Sounds like a band I might be interested in. Underoath I don't mind, but they're pretty much 90% screams and 10% clean, aren't they?

I've seen In Flames live, Geoff, and they put on a helluva show. However, I sincerely doubt they're your kinda thang so you can probably skip them without feeling like you missed anything.

Okay Glen and Justin, this is what I've decided. If all goes according to plan (which I'm sure it won't) this is how I plan to spend this Sunday:

STAGE ONE: 12-12:30pm - Madina Lake

STAGE THREE: 12:30-1:00pm – Chiodos

1:20-2:00pm – Silverstein

STAGE ONE: 2:15-2:50pm – Forever the Sickest Kids

STAGE TWO: 2:50-3:25pm – Underoath (LEAVE EARLY)

STAGE ONE: 3:25-400pm – Anberlin

STAGE TWO: 4:00-4:40pm – Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (LEAVE EARLY)

STAGE THREE: 4:20-5:00pm – Finch

5:20-6:00pm – Funeral for a Friend

STAGE FIVE: 6:20-7:00pm – Houston Calls

STAGE THREE: 7:20-8:00pm – New Found Glory

8:20-9:00pm – Alkaline Trio

STAGE SIX: 9:20pm-10:00pm – From First to Last

STAGE FIVE: 10:10 – 10:40pm – Mike Herrera

The bands in bold are the ones I really want to see and the others are bands I will see to fill in time. :lol: I have no idea what the Chiodos or Mike Herrera (lead singer for the HORRID punk band MXPX apparently) sound like, but I may as well give them a go if I'm there. Underoath are not really my scene, but a good enough way to fill in time between shows, New Found Glory's last 2 albums are pretty cool so that's a decent addition and 'From First To Last aren't too bad either, so that'll be another decent addition.

The only band that I would have liked to see which will be completely barred is The Audition, who play at the same time as FFAF. Loved their debut but their sucky 2nd disc makes me not care too much.

Anyway, I'll try to get a report out if you guys are interested next week. Justin, you going to the Brisbane show?

Looks like it'll be a good day Geoff. I've decided not to attend the Bris festival. As much as I'd like to see some of these bands, I don't think I'll be too disappointed if I don't. As long as I can listen to their music at home I'll be happy. Think I'll save my dollars for other things. I wonder what New Found Glory are like live, I'll be interested to hear your report back on this festival.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I have settled on Finch for now. And if I can see 20mins of RJA too I think I'd be content enough.

And Tim, can't believe Chiodos have escaped my ears. I'm not sure I'm going to have time to hear them before Sunday, but I'll make it one of my missions. Sounds like a band I might be interested in. Underoath I don't mind, but they're pretty much 90% screams and 10% clean, aren't they?

Underoath are actually pretty melodic, their latest album is not a lot heavier than the last ATREYU disc IMO. CHIODOS are heavier but have big chorus hooks, & they are killer live. Both bands you'd probably enjoy more than In Flames....

Underoath are actually pretty melodic, their latest album is not a lot heavier than the last ATREYU disc IMO. CHIODOS are heavier but have big chorus hooks, & they are killer live. Both bands you'd probably enjoy more than In Flames....

Yeah, after hearing Alkaline Trio's newie last night, In Flames are no longer in the picture. :) I will definitely be seeing Chiodos and Underoath (providing all goes according to plan) and having heard a bit of Chiodos - and hopefully both their full-length CDs on Saturday before I go - it sounds like they might be very good.

The funny thing is, I wasn't that excited about the last 3 bands, but after spinning New Found Glory's most recent 2 discs again, Alkaline Trio's latest and From First to Last's latest (these guys sound like Saosin now - who I freaki'n adore!!!) I'm actually really excited about ALL the bands I hope to see. :)