SouthGang to reform

melodicrockoz

Very interesting stuff posted on on a site earlier this week...

SOUTHGANG THINKING ABOUT NEW RELEASES:

February 3, 2009

SouthGang Records owner Chris Hogan has posted the following update regarding the future of the band Southgang.

"I have great news All you Southgang fans. As of today I have spoken with Jesse Harte, lead vocalist of Southgang, and he is very interested on working on some projects with myself and possibily at least one other member of the ORIGINAL Southgang lineup (YET TO BE NAMED..as it has not been confirmed).

The conversation with Jesse went in quite a few directions (we bounced all kinds of ideas - he is VERY intelligent!) and he is interested in pursuing many different avenues to make sure that the Southgang fans out there get their fix!!!

There was even some talk of a NEW EP...A GREATEST HITS ALBUM...a DVD...and some LIVE SHOWS in the works. Like I said though, we are just in the TALKING phase. But Jesse is interested in pursuing some directions regarding Southgang and I know myself and all you fans out there could not be happier!

And what a GENUINE GUY...That Jesse is such a great person, SUPER COOL! I can tell just from speaking with him on the phone, he even took time to speak with my wife (even though she had The Steelers in the Super Bowl..LOL). I can tell you that there is going to be some BIG things in the near future for Jesse Harte and Southgang."

Without Butch, Jayce and Slug, it'll never be Southgang. Just Jesse Hart and Friends :whistle: From what I remember, Jesse Hart was supposed to be the guy that was going to replace Jani Lane in Warrant around 1993 or so when Jani threatened to quit or DID quit, etc...

I would be SO happy if this happened, even if just one tour and a new album. I've missed SG (although, I'd be lying if I didn't say I don't like M3 and Butch solo even a little more).

However, I've always been dismayed at how much Butch has tried to distance himself from his SG past. (A few of us old-timers, in BW fandom, have discussed how great it would be for him to have recorded a few SG tracks with him doing the vocals. And it never happened. And he became rather derisive of the "guy in the crowd" at his live shows that would yell out "Play Tainted Angel!" or whichever song was yelled.) So, sadly, I don't think it'd be a full-band reunion. And with Butch's producing cred and the fact that he just had his TV (musical) debut on the Ellen Degeneres show this past Tuesday, I'm thinking he's out of the running for sure.

Which really does make me a little sad. (I have no problem with him saying that's not what he wants to "do", but I can't see how it would hurt him to spend a few months doing this kind of stuff after his tour is over. Especially since it would expose so many old (SG) fans to his new (solo) stuff.) (Also, I wonder, since Jayce and Slug have played with Butch in Atlanta a time or ten over the 7+ years since M3 has been gone, I wonder how this might affect their relationship with Butch. I can't see ANY of them being dickish enough to stop their stuff, but it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall after that first discussion when someone announces they're doing the 'Gang again.)

Yes... Butch avoids ALL things Southgang related. I would have loved for him and M3 to redo some of the old Southgang stuff in an M3 type fashion. I have no clue as to why he's so adament about ignoring that part of his life. Some great tunes came from their 2 releases

Jesse must be bored ...

And yeah, there is NO WAY Butch would be involved (unless there was an extraordinary amount of money involved - and even then ..). I was pretty close to those guys for quite a while and when M3 came through town several years back Jayce, Mitch and I joked around about the poor and starving days on Whitley Ave while Butch just slyly slithered away. A few hours later, he and I were having a couple of drinks away from everyone, just the 2 of us and I brought up a couple of SouthGang related things that I had wondered about (like a couple of songs that just "disappeared") and he kept politely twisting the conversation away from all of that.

Jesse must be bored ...

And yeah, there is NO WAY Butch would be involved (unless there was an extraordinary amount of money involved - and even then ..). I was pretty close to those guys for quite a while and when M3 came through town several years back Jayce, Mitch and I joked around about the poor and starving days on Whitley Ave while Butch just slyly slithered away. A few hours later, he and I were having a couple of drinks away from everyone, just the 2 of us and I brought up a couple of SouthGang related things that I had wondered about (like a couple of songs that just "disappeared") and he kept politely twisting the conversation away from all of that.

Interesting read from his 20Qs at Metal sludge.

Jesse Metal Sludge 20Qs

I really enjoyed both of their discs and would really excited to hear some new Southgang....as long as they still 'sound' like Southgang...!!

I don't understand why Butch Walker would be ashamed of his Southgang roots. This IS the same guy who did the abysmal sounding Floyd's Funk Revival. Now that cd is something to be embarassed about.

I think it's really sad that if Butch's good friends Jayce and Slug were to do that and Jesse were back on board that he'd be the only reason there wasn't a full ORIGINAL Southgang reunion.

Although, from what I've heard (a lot of people over in "Butch" groups like to think they're close to his inner circle. Whether they actually are or not, I have no clue. Nor care.), Jayce and Slug are pretty happy living non-musically and only doing the occasional M3 reunion for a few songs at the end of a solo Butch show.

I'd LOVE if they could coerce Butch into a reunion, even if for one album/tour.

I'm guessing "if" they did, it would be for a big show like Rocklahoma or something

I really enjoyed both of their discs and would really excited to hear some new Southgang....as long as they still 'sound' like Southgang...!!

And that is the most important thing is that it sounds like Southgang. :tumbsup:

TRUE, I'm sorry if Butch don't wanna reunite with his old band.

But I'm more worried about the musical direction that J.Harte want to pursue.

They say that ol fans ain't gonna like it.

"I have great news All you Southgang fans. As of today I have spoken with Jesse Harte, lead vocalist of Southgang, and he is very interested on working on some projects with myself and possibily at least one other member of the ORIGINAL Southgang lineup (YET TO BE NAMED..as it has not been confirmed).

Well I'm wondering how much truth there is to this rumour. I agree with everyone who notes that there is obviously 0% chance of Butch coming back, but if Jesse and the other two dudes managed to get together and record something I would be far more than moderately interested. :)

Well I'm wondering how much truth there is to this rumour. I agree with everyone who notes that there is obviously 0% chance of Butch coming back, but if Jesse and the other two dudes managed to get together and record something I would be far more than moderately interested. :)

It's not gonna happen...