Why is Pop AOR called Westcoast?

edwithmj

Westcoast as a genre is pretty wide musically and can include such artists like thecool sounds of George Benson & Al Jarreau to the more lighter rock style of Airplay, David Roberts, Nielsen/Pearson, Jay Graydon and a lot of stuff inbetween like Robbie Dupree, Jay Ferguson, Greg Guidry etc etc. Basically it is another genre that has been bastardised over the years to include alot of AOR bands aswell. Alot of the true Westcoast artists probably wouldn't appear on the pages of HH in my opinion, but a few have sneaked in over the years.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................ ;)

I nearly fell asleep writing it aswell mate. ;)

Ask a stupid question, get a boring answer.!! :lol:

I stroked my chin with interest as I read it! :unsure:

Nick... Are you sure that was your chin? :unsure:

:rofl2:

It had stubble on it :eek:

Geez, that could be anything then... was it moist?

Westcoast as a genre is pretty wide musically and can include such artists like thecool sounds of George Benson & Al Jarreau to the more lighter rock style of Airplay, David Roberts, Nielsen/Pearson, Jay Graydon and a lot of stuff inbetween like Robbie Dupree, Jay Ferguson, Greg Guidry etc etc. Basically it is another genre that has been bastardised over the years to include alot of AOR bands aswell. Alot of the true Westcoast artists probably wouldn't appear on the pages of HH in my opinion, but a few have sneaked in over the years.

I....I don't remember... mentally I think I blocked it out and retreated into my safe place!

I....I don't remember... mentally I think I blocked it out and retreated into my safe place!

Please Nick... You are already in deep. We really don't wanna know about your "safe place".... I can only imagine. :omg:

• 8 years later...

It has to do with the great gangsta wars between the eastcoast and westcoast melodic rock bands. Layin' down harmonies against one another. Fo shizzle.

so that would explain Tupac's recent induction into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, makes perfect sense :)

sounds to me like this is a term invented to refer to soft pop-rock? There is a website out of Denmark dedicated to it bluedesert.dk

• 7 months later...

heh is Yacht Rock the same as Westcoast? Or I also saw terms like Christian Yacht Rock? 

anyway, been browsing  softer early 80's tunes on YT, like these tracks from Westcoast 99 Youtube channel, which I think is a good place to sample this sort of mellow music:

Wilson Bros - Take Me to Your Heaven (1979)

Jim Schmidt - Love has taken it all away (1983)

David Roberts - Boys of Autumn (1982)

Alan Sorrenti - Beside You (1981)

Robbie Dupree - Free Fallin' (1981)

Player - Givin it All (1980)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • My Little Pony
1 hour ago, metaltrekman said:

But, you have to have Paramount+ to watch it.

Actually, all you need is a computer. ;}

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm def gonna download... I mean, watch this!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
On 1/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, metaltrekman said:

If you Enjoy Yacht Rock/AOR/West Coast (I do) ;) Then you should watch this three part series on it. Its really good. But, you have to have Paramount+ to watch it. :( 

Yacht Rock.jpg

Really good watch, thoroughly enjoyed it.