Hot Tracks Import CD's

Purchased the Y&T "Live One Hot Night DVD" from Hot Tracks Import CD's on Dec 2nd and still have not received it.

I contacted them and they stated that it was shipped on Dec 6th in which I said "well it is still not here" so I asked "was the form of shipping used, does it require a signature at the receivers end".

They replied that "That form of shipping is more expensive and you did not ask for that" in which I replied "Nowhere on your ebay page does it give you an option of what form of shipping you want to use. All it states about half way down the page is that all International mail is sent via USPS Airmail letter post and down the bottom of the page it says that it is sent to Australia via USPS First Class Mail"

So all I can say is that prior to the 45 day time frame {which is very soon} a paypal dispute will be lodged.

Do you have to report the problem to ebay first ?????

Here we fuckin' go again :doh:

I feel you Dave I was victimized also I've waited almost two months for a CD I purchased on Ebay and the seller said the package was signed for, it wasn't by me and the post office supposively has the signature on file I'm still waiting on an answer.

Purchased the Y&T "Live One Hot Night DVD" from Hot Tracks Import CD's on Dec 2nd and still have not received it.

I contacted them and they stated that it was shipped on Dec 6th in which I said "well it is still not here" so I asked "was the form of shipping used, does it require a signature at the receivers end".

They replied that "That form of shipping is more expensive and you did not ask for that" in which I replied "Nowhere on your ebay page does it give you an option of what form of shipping you want to use. All it states about half way down the page is that all International mail is sent via USPS Airmail letter post and down the bottom of the page it says that it is sent to Australia via USPS First Class Mail"

So all I can say is that prior to the 45 day time frame {which is very soon} a paypal dispute will be lodged.

So to hear about that Dave. If you do ever get the DVD it's a great one IMO.

If you don't get it have you tried ordering from Meniketti.com? I'm not sure what shipping is over there.

If you don't get it have you tried ordering from Meniketti.com? I'm not sure what shipping is over there.

Wes, I definately will pick it up elsewere if it does not arrive {which looks very likely}, but I will attempt to get my money back first.

There are plenty of others on ebay at a good price :drink:

Playing devil's advocate, why were you expecting it to be shipped with "signature confirmation"? Hardly anyone ever ships low-value parcels with signature confirmation.

The only time I ship with signature confirmation is when the value exceeds $250, which is the only time PayPal requires signature confirmation. Delivery confirmation, on the other hand, is standard for all PayPal shipments.

Did you get an email from PayPal shipping that has the delivery confirmation number? What is the status when that number is tracked at USPS?

If the delivery confirmation does NOT show that delivery was made, the seller should make good (that is what insurance is for).

If the seller shipped it manually and did NOT pay for delivery confirmation, you will auto-win any chargeback for goods not received.

-Dan

Playing devil's advocate, why were you expecting it to be shipped with "signature confirmation"? Hardly anyone ever ships low-value parcels with signature confirmation.

The only time I ship with signature confirmation is when the value exceeds $250, which is the only time PayPal requires signature confirmation. Delivery confirmation, on the other hand, is standard for all PayPal shipments.

Did you get an email from PayPal shipping that has the delivery confirmation number? What is the status when that number is tracked at USPS?

If the delivery confirmation does NOT show that delivery was made, the seller should make good (that is what insurance is for).

If the seller shipped it manually and did NOT pay for delivery confirmation, you will auto-win any chargeback for goods not received.

-Dan

No , I was not expecting it to be, I just asked them if First Class USPS included a signature required.

When he replied about the posting, he said it was done via USPS First Class with this number provided LC707554034US. {Is this the delivery confirmation number ??}

The Paypal email is only a payment confirmation with the transaction number and nothing else.

Hey Dave, just to let you know mate I am waiting on 3 packages at the moment, all shipped around the start of December 2007 and ALL from reliable sources. I still have no doubt they will arrive but there may just be something funky and f*cked up going on with the postal system here as I expected them all 2 weeks ago at the very latest.

No , I was not expecting it to be, I just asked them if First Class USPS included a signature required.

When he replied about the posting, he said it was done via USPS First Class with this number provided LC707554034US. {Is this the delivery confirmation number ??}

The Paypal email is only a payment confirmation with the transaction number and nothing else.

I believe the seller has given you the Customs form number; input it here:

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/index.jsp

He mailed something to someone back on Dec. 6th, but this would mean NOTHING to Pay Pal if you file a claim. :tumbsup:

Mike

Hey Dave, just to let you know mate I am waiting on 3 packages at the moment, all shipped around the start of December 2007 and ALL from reliable sources. I still have no doubt they will arrive but there may just be something funky and f*cked up going on with the postal system here as I expected them all 2 weeks ago at the very latest.

Yeah, there certainly is something not right at the minute as I am also still waiting on the Copperhead S/T album that was dispatched from the US around the same time and still has not arrived.

I will still raise a dispute with Paypal over the Y&T DVD and happily cancel it, if and when it arrives.

I fell for the "Don't worry, it will still arrive and if It doesn't, we will send you another one" line, once before only for the 45 day claim period to expire and then having them, not wanting to have anything to do with you {re: Metalpinns} and you lose the lot.

Once biten twice shy mate.

I believe the seller has given you the Customs form number; input it here:

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/index.jsp

He mailed something to someone back on Dec. 6th, but this would mean NOTHING to Pay Pal if you file a claim. :tumbsup:

Mike

Thanks for that info Mike :drink:

Yeah, there certainly is something not right at the minute as I am also still waiting on the Copperhead S/T album that was dispatched from the US around the same time and still has not arrived.

I will still raise a dispute with Paypal over the Y&T DVD and happily cancel it, if and when it arrives.

I fell for the "Don't worry, it will still arrive and if It doesn't, we will send you another one" line, once before only for the 45 day claim period to expire and then having them, not wanting to have anything to do with you {re: Metalpinns} and you lose the lot.

Once biten twice shy mate.

Yeah, I should add that in this period, I ordered a CD from CD Baby (These guys are f*cking fantastic) right in the heart of Christmas/New Years and it was in my mailbox only a few days later, plus I bought a CD of ebay, from the US at the same time and had it within a week. So not really sure what's happening and why there are exceptions.

yeah... wot geoff said! Internation al mail to Oz is veryt slow at the moment,...or over xmas anyway.

I was waiting for heaps of stuff ordered end november / early december and it all arrived last week.

just make sure that you lodge the paypal dispute boefre the required date. You can aleays cancel it in the meantime if the disc turns up.

yeah... wot geoff said! Internation al mail to Oz is veryt slow at the moment,...or over xmas anyway.

I was waiting for heaps of stuff ordered end november / early december and it all arrived last week.

just make sure that you lodge the paypal dispute boefre the required date. You can aleays cancel it in the meantime if the disc turns up.

Yeah, that's what I have told this seller I'm going to do because the emails are starting to get a little bit narky between us at the moment with him stating "this is the problem with international shipping, how do I know you have not got it and also trying to get your money back??" which is fair enough for a seller to say that because there would be coniving pricks who would do that, but I told him to check my feedback and you will see how honest I am and to never accuse me of not being honest, because that, I certainly am not.

I told him I will raise a claim and if it arrives while the outcome is still pending, I will cancel the claim immediately and inform him of that and if I receive a refund and the item arrives after that, I will contact him to arrange the payment to be sent to his paypal account for the item.

And just by going what Geoff has stated, there could still be a chance the item will arrive, but this time I am going to play it safe.

Since last May US Postal Services changed their system a bit and renamed the services. Ground/Boat services got discontinued, International Airmail letter post service became Airmail Priority, and Airmail Parcelpost became International First Class.

What most international buyers fail to unserstand is, registration in USA costs a flat rate of $10.15 ON TOP on the actual postage. Elsewhere in the world it costs like 2-3 euro maximum, here in USA it costs $10.15, and thus makes "safer" small packages extremelly overpriced.

I think you will agree with me that if a seller starts asking $14 for shipping one CD to anywhere, everyone will call him a rip-off, right? Well, that's what exactly it will cost ($4 Airmail for 4oz package + $10.15 registration). And if the package is not registered, the seller really cannot do much to help you out.

What I want to say is, I tend to side with the seller a bit here when he says that you, the buyer, should be responsible for asking for special safer shipping option, if you think it is needed. Otherwise the package is at the mercy of the postal services and blaming the seller for the loss is not very fair.

Since last May US Postal Services changed their system a bit and renamed the services. Ground/Boat services got discontinued, International Airmail letter post service became Airmail Priority, and Airmail Parcelpost became International First Class.

What most international buyers fail to unserstand is, registration in USA costs a flat rate of $10.15 ON TOP on the actual postage. Elsewhere in the world it costs like 2-3 euro maximum, here in USA it costs $10.15, and thus makes "safer" small packages extremelly overpriced.

I think you will agree with me that if a seller starts asking $14 for shipping one CD to anywhere, everyone will call him a rip-off, right? Well, that's what exactly it will cost ($4 Airmail for 4oz package + $10.15 registration). And if the package is not registered, the seller really cannot do much to help you out.

What I want to say is, I tend to side with the seller a bit here when he says that you, the buyer, should be responsible for asking for special safer shipping option, if you think it is needed. Otherwise the package is at the mercy of the postal services and blaming the seller for the loss is not very fair.

The situation is pretty much the same to ship from Canada. It would cost 7.29$ (price will go up on the 14th, damn Canada Post) + 11.00 for registration. A total of 19$ if you include the vost of the envelope. To make matters worse is that you can't register anything other than a letter, thus making a cd something you can't register. So for full protection of a cd in a jewel case (because without the case I can pretend it's a letter and get it registered) I would have to ship it Purolator or Express Post and now you're talking crazy prices.

December is the worst month to ship in. They are slow as Hell at times. In all of 2007 I refunded 2 people for items not arriving, both during the Christmas season. You simply have to be really, really patient or pray to be really really lucky.

Trying to figure out what you, as a seller need to do, in order to be protected, is a pain, as is trying to figure out what to charge so you're not ripping off the buyer.

I literally spent hours trying to figure out the best combination of shipping methods, delivery confirmation, insurance methods, and valuation tiers for both domestic and international shipping.

Since the new USPS rates took effect, small light packages are MORE expensive to ship within the U.S. than outside of the U.S., but over about 6 ounces in weight, international packages have gone up DRAMATICALLY in cost.

As a seller, you cannot depend on PayPal's seller protection policy. You *MUST* insure for your own protection. For international shipping, this means using a 3rd-party insurance company, as USPS will not allow you to insure 1st Class International, only Priority and above.

Registered Mail is NOT considered "proof of delivery" by PayPal, so it is absolutely worthless in protecting against unwarranted chargebacks.

Then you get into situations with the maximum insurance limits. This is less an issue with CDs, but I run into this selling coins all the time. The maximum I can insure a parcel for with my DSI contract is $200, which means that above that amount I pretty much have to send by Global Express Mail (for the tracking number which will conform to PayPal's SPP). Do you have any idea how insane it is to pay $25-30 to ship a package that weighs only 2 ounces?

Yes, as Iordan mentioned, Registered Mail is obscenely expensive here in the U.S. compared to other countries. I routinely receive Registered Mail packages from other countries where the sender only paid $1-3 extre for Registered Mail. When I tell people that Registered Mail will cost them $10.50 extra beyond the shipping costs, they think I'm ripping them off. No, the USPS is.

I'm told the difference (supposedly) is that U.S. registered mail is literally under lock and key throughout the entire journey, logged in at each stop, whereas the security in other countries' registered mail is not at the same level. Whatever. It still costs too damned much.

The only way to ship a package outside of the U.S. with any kind of tracking number that PayPal will consider to be valid is to ship by Global Express Mail, a minimum of $25. The number on customs forms is NOT a tracking number, and is useless.

Same thing domestically with packages insured through the USPS. The numbers on the insurance tags, regardless of black (below $200 in value, no signature necessary) or blue (above $200, recipient must sign), are NOT tracking numbers and PayPal does NOT consider them valid proof of delivery. You must have delivery confirmation, and if the payment was $250 or more, signature confirmation.

Here's a little-known fact that has screwed over a lot of people:

Within the U.S., Registered Mail is the safest way to transport high-value merchandise. Registered Mail shipments can be insured up to $25,000. HOWEVER, if someone pays you with PayPal for a $5,000 item and you ship it Registered Mail, you *MUST* also purchase "signature confirmation" (which is entirely redundant), because PayPal (for whatever insane reason) does NOT consider Registered Mail tracking to be proof of delivery. Even if the Registered Mail tracking shows that the recipient took delivery and signed for the package, if you did not also purchase signature confirmation, you will auto-lose any chargeback filed against you.

Logic has ZERO part in all of this.

Enough of my rambling. The best thing to do is give you a link to one of my eBay stores listings, and you can see how I've set up my shipping and handling charges, both domestically and internationally. If you have questions as to why certain charges are what they are, I'll try to answer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MESE:IT

-Dan

Trying to figure out what you, as a seller need to do, in order to be protected, is a pain, as is trying to figure out what to charge so you're not ripping off the buyer.

I literally spent hours trying to figure out the best combination of shipping methods, delivery confirmation, insurance methods, and valuation tiers for both domestic and international shipping.

Since the new USPS rates took effect, small light packages are MORE expensive to ship within the U.S. than outside of the U.S., but over about 6 ounces in weight, international packages have gone up DRAMATICALLY in cost.

As a seller, you cannot depend on PayPal's seller protection policy. You *MUST* insure for your own protection. For international shipping, this means using a 3rd-party insurance company, as USPS will not allow you to insure 1st Class International, only Priority and above.

Registered Mail is NOT considered "proof of delivery" by PayPal, so it is absolutely worthless in protecting against unwarranted chargebacks.

Then you get into situations with the maximum insurance limits. This is less an issue with CDs, but I run into this selling coins all the time. The maximum I can insure a parcel for with my DSI contract is $200, which means that above that amount I pretty much have to send by Global Express Mail (for the tracking number which will conform to PayPal's SPP). Do you have any idea how insane it is to pay $25-30 to ship a package that weighs only 2 ounces?

Yes, as Iordan mentioned, Registered Mail is obscenely expensive here in the U.S. compared to other countries. I routinely receive Registered Mail packages from other countries where the sender only paid $1-3 extre for Registered Mail. When I tell people that Registered Mail will cost them $10.50 extra beyond the shipping costs, they think I'm ripping them off. No, the USPS is.

I'm told the difference (supposedly) is that U.S. registered mail is literally under lock and key throughout the entire journey, logged in at each stop, whereas the security in other countries' registered mail is not at the same level. Whatever. It still costs too damned much.

The only way to ship a package outside of the U.S. with any kind of tracking number that PayPal will consider to be valid is to ship by Global Express Mail, a minimum of $25. The number on customs forms is NOT a tracking number, and is useless.

Same thing domestically with packages insured through the USPS. The numbers on the insurance tags, regardless of black (below $200 in value, no signature necessary) or blue (above $200, recipient must sign), are NOT tracking numbers and PayPal does NOT consider them valid proof of delivery. You must have delivery confirmation, and if the payment was $250 or more, signature confirmation.

Here's a little-known fact that has screwed over a lot of people:

Within the U.S., Registered Mail is the safest way to transport high-value merchandise. Registered Mail shipments can be insured up to $25,000. HOWEVER, if someone pays you with PayPal for a $5,000 item and you ship it Registered Mail, you *MUST* also purchase "signature confirmation" (which is entirely redundant), because PayPal (for whatever insane reason) does NOT consider Registered Mail tracking to be proof of delivery. Even if the Registered Mail tracking shows that the recipient took delivery and signed for the package, if you did not also purchase signature confirmation, you will auto-lose any chargeback filed against you.

Logic has ZERO part in all of this.

Enough of my rambling. The best thing to do is give you a link to one of my eBay stores listings, and you can see how I've set up my shipping and handling charges, both domestically and internationally. If you have questions as to why certain charges are what they are, I'll try to answer:

-Dan

The Key words here are the 3rd Party insuring as Dan told me awhile Back. As a seller this is essential to International shipments. Hell I do this not only on First Class mail but all shipments. This way I am double covered on Priority and up both by the Post office(Ya Right) & the 3rd Party insurer.

NOTE: I did read on ebay the other day that you cannot require to abuyer to pay for 3rd party insurance .... However I automatically add this into the shipping cost when I quote it.

You can Blame Ebay for alot of this......... Theres alot of shit to know when selling on EBAY and if they would spend alittle more time explaining this where people can see it easily instead of searching endlessly through ebays help system there would not be so many problems.

I dont know about Dan but having sold to 6000+ people 99% of the time you can tell when a Buyer ot seller is being honest or when something seems wrong. It can be in the way they word there messages or reviewing there history through feedback, ect.

Paypal should have Red Flags flying so People see this..................

Paypal - Shipping to APO address - When you ship to a adress like this you must have a customs form... When you print the label through Paypal NO WHERE does it tell you this. Expect your package returned with return charges plus you pay to ship again.

NOTE: I did read on ebay the other day that you cannot require to abuyer to pay for 3rd party insurance .... However I automatically add this into the shipping cost when I quote it.

Actually, that's not entirely true. If you are purchasing coverage from a legitimate 3rd-party insurance company, it is perfectly fine to pass that on to the customer. The problem is those sellers that "self insure." Theoretically, they are putting aside any amounts paid for insurance into a pool or fund to cover any prospective claims; they are not actually purchasing coverage from another company.

The problem with this approach is twofold:

1. Some sellers abuse it, charging the buyer for insurance, pocketing the money, and never paying out even on valid losses. In that case it is fraud.

2. There is some interpretation in certain states that any selling of insurance requires being a licensed insurance agent, which eBay sellers most likely are not, hence it is illegal to self insure (whereas if you use 3rd party insurance, *that company* is the agent since they are writing the policy, not you as the seller).

Then there's the issue of charging for insurance and how to do so.

Some sellers make insurance optional (in which case most buyers won't pay for it).

Some sellers make insurance a mandatory additional charge (which alienates some buyers since they don't want to or think they should have to pay the additional cost).

Ultimately, insurance protects the seller not the buyer, since the shipper has contracted with the carrier for delivery. The best way to handle it is to incorporate it into your base shipping and handling charge.

"Shipping and handling includes insurance."

Easy. Concise. No wiggle room. No options.

Or if you wanted to take a page from Marketing 101: "Shipping and handling includes free insurance coverage!" which of course it does not. As with anything you purchase, freebies aren't free... they're subsidized by the price of the things you *are* paying for.

-Dan

-Dan

As a buyer only on ebay, how Dan has set up his page is perfect and everything you need to know as a buyer is right there in front of you and it is spelt out as clear as day.

It's a pity more sellers don't use the same path as Dan.

-Dan

As a buyer only on ebay, how Dan has set up his page is perfect and everything you need to know as a buyer is right there in front of you and it is spelt out as clear as day.

It's a pity more sellers don't use the same path as Dan.

This is my favourite part from Dan's Ebay page. :rofl2:

* No shipments to the following countries: Abkhazia, Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola (including Cabinda), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chechnia, China, Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea - Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Moldova, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, OFAC Restricted Countries, Oman, Pakistan, Papua/New Guinea, Paraguay, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Yemen, Zaire, and Zimbabwe.

You would get killed in most of these countries if you got caught listening to the music Dan sells. In the list above I've sold to Mexico, Russia, China and Brazil. Each time I cringed when the auction was over and had to ship to those countries.

Iraq and Afghanistan!!! Curious to know if we could actually ship out to US, Bristish, Canadian or other soldiers out in those places? I figure they don't much time to rock out.

This is my favourite part from Dan's Ebay page. :rofl2:

* No shipments to the following countries: Abkhazia, Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola (including Cabinda), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chechnia, China, Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea - Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Moldova, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, OFAC Restricted Countries, Oman, Pakistan, Papua/New Guinea, Paraguay, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Yemen, Zaire, and Zimbabwe.

You would get killed in most of these countries if you got caught listening to the music Dan sells. In the list above I've sold to Mexico, Russia, China and Brazil. Each time I cringed when the auction was over and had to ship to those countries.

Iraq and Afghanistan!!! Curious to know if we could actually ship out to US, Bristish, Canadian or other soldiers out in those places? I figure they don't much time to rock out.

Wow! what a list! :)

The only conutry I'm thinking of banning and never shipping to is Israel. I dont know if it was my rotten luck or what, but I've had like 5 orders going there in the past two months, and nothing but troubles every time.

:banana: It took 43 days from date of purchase but it has finally arrived :banana:

:banana: It took 43 days from date of purchase but it has finally arrived :banana:

Awesome. Your gonna love it. :tumbsup: