The Codex

heaven&hell

These guys sound pretty good.

It has Mark Boals(Malmsteen) on vocals and Magnus Karlsson(Starbreaker, Last Tribe, & Allen/Lande) on guitar.

There's 4 songs off the cd on Magnus' myspace page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=114146907

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was impressed with Boals on this but too many of the songs fell short on lasting quality I thought. I remember a couple having overplayed guitar solo's as well. The opener though "Beyond The Dark" was good, and "Mystery" reminded me of something off a Bob Catley solo album. I've got this one down as decent but its not fused to my cd player :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I finally just got this disc and all I can say is WOW.

This is just fucking incredible IMO. Like somewhere in between Allen/Lande and Masterplan.

Mark Boals sounds amazing and Magnus is his normal excellent self and IMO this is better than the Allen/Lande discs which I both consider great but to me this is even better.

My fav tune is the excellent ballad "Whole Again":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVwh5Qo4CY...CFF&index=4

For those that love Melodic Metal you have to own this disc. :bowdown:

This is just fucking incredible IMO. Like somewhere in between Allen/Lande and Masterplan.

Mark Boals sounds amazing and Magnus is his normal excellent self and IMO this is better than the Allen/Lande discs which I both consider great but to me this is even better.

Backed ! Great disc !! :drink:

Backed ! Great disc !! :drink:

Brilliant stuff! Theres a song about track 11 or 12... which just blows me away!

Great disc indeed. Not quite as good as the Allen/Lande 'The Battle' but some really strong songs all the same.

nowhere near Allen/Lande for me mate.....maybe on par with The Revenge, but miles off The Battle.

Just IMO.

nowhere near Allen/Lande for me mate.....maybe on par with The Revenge, but miles off The Battle.

Just IMO.

I thought that comment might cause some problems. :lol:

I love the Allen/Lande discs especially 'The Battle', but this disc is heavier and maybe that's why I like it a little more at least right now. For me this disc has the heavier moments that cater to the Metalhead in me and it has the more melodic moments that I enjoy as well. Maybe the newness will wear off of it but right now I think it's awesome and right now I like it a little more than the Allen/Lande but who knows how I'll feel a year from now. Either way I sure hope Magnus and Mark continue with this project every few years as I hope Magnus hopes to do the Allen/Lande discs as well.

Had The Codex album on CD but sold it on pretty quickly as I thought it was very poor. Only liked one song, I thought the others were very uninteresting and forgettable.

Had The Codex album on CD but sold it on pretty quickly as I thought it was very poor. Only liked one song, I thought the others were very uninteresting and forgettable.

Yeah, my relationship with this CD was extremely brief too. I'm sure it was good stuff - all this guy's stuff is pretty good - but it's all identical too and, for me personally, gets real boring real quick.

- all this guy's stuff is pretty good - but it's all identical too and

very true. IMO he's always been trying to emulate 'The Battle' but has never succeeded.

Last Tribe stuff was pretty good but IMO 'The Battle' is the pinnacle of his career...........so far.

- all this guy's stuff is pretty good - but it's all identical too and

very true. IMO he's always been trying to emulate 'The Battle' but has never succeeded.

Last Tribe stuff was pretty good but IMO 'The Battle' is the pinnacle of his career...........so far.

I don't hear this disc as being identical at all to the other stuff as I mentioned before this disc has much more heavier moments and progressive moments as well mixed in with the more melodic stuff like 'Prisoner'.

• 1 month later...