Prince

Captain Howdy

Saw him live in concert last Friday as I won two tickets, and I gotta say it was one of the best gigs I have ever seen.

While I like his music, I would not call myself a massive fan per se, but even I have to give credit to the mans talent, even if he is nutty as a bag full of peanuts!

The show he put on was absolutely awesome, and Prince has got to be one of the few truly massive music stars that actually performs for musics sake rather than to make more money.

The guy did 21 dates at the same venue, and charged a ticket price less expensive that of his peers, or even lesser bands.

For the ticket price, you also got his latest CD free. (although obviously I got that and the ticket free)

I knew he was a talented musician as I remember reading somewhere that he can play something like 20 instruments or something like that, and of course, I know he was a good guitarist, but what I didnt realise was he is actually an amazing guitarist.

There are rock and metal guitarists who would give both testicles to play like him.

Also, he is one of the few artists who actually has a voice that matches the vocals on his records.

Add to all that that he is actually pretty funny as well, just adds to the whole show.

Yeah he's arrogant, yeah he knows he is good and yeah, he's nuts, but without all that, he would not be half as good as he is.

As I said to my friend who I took with me, unlike most artists, Prince cannot be slotted into a musical genre as he pretty much crosses over into every style you can think of, in fact if you were gonna fit him into a genre, you'd have to call that genre "Prince".

Nicely written C H. :drink: I would love to see Prince live. If he came close to the amazing things he does on record it would be a hell of a show. As you already stated it was. I am no super fan or anything, but I do have a handful or two of his cd's and each one is excellent in its own right...

I agree as well! Would love to see him live!

You must've gone to the O2 Arena? A few work colleagues went & were raving about what a great musician he was. That is a cool venue, I saw the first concert there in March (Bon Jovi), & there are tons of good bars etc around there & the sound is good. Not much of a Prince fan myself but what he's doing for his fans (charging people £31 entry fee including his album free, when the Rolling Stones playing 2 nights later were charging £115 for the same venue) is awesome...

Yeah, O2 arena!

Had been told by my friend who I took with me, that the venue was really good as she went to another gig there a month of so back.

The sound there is fantastic, and with it being an "in the round set" it probably made the acoustics even better.

I was wondering why the tickets were so unusually priced at £31.21, but I have since found out that thats the name of his current band that replaces the NPG, and also the name of his new perfume!

The guy is a marketing genius!

Even if you only have a passing interest in him, he is defo one artist you should see live if you get a chance!

Purple Rain is a masterpiece, don't know so much it's other works...

Purple Rain is a masterpiece

Yes it is.

Totally agree. He is immensely talented and I would love to see him live. Must have been a great show. Any idea on a setlist?

From what I gather, he played variations of a set list every night!

Quite a few songs were condensed into medleys, including a piano and vocal only medley that featured the likes of Raspberry beret and Little red Corvette.

Purple Rain was of course played, as was stuff like Cream, Sign o the times, Alphabet St, U got the look, Kiss & 1999, his versions of I feel for you (better known by Chaka Khan) and Nothing compares 2 u (better known by Sinead Oconnor) were also played.

An unusual cover of Play that funky music, was played as a kinda duet with support act Common (I think that was his name).

We sadly only got a few lines of When doves cry (didnt even reach the chorus), and some big songs were completely missing (Most beautiful girl in the world, Lets go crazy, Get off etc).

Unsurprisingly, also nothing from the Batman album (his most successful UK release), as I think he wont play it due to issues with Warners.

Only one song from his new album was played, Guitar, which is probably the best track on what turns out to be a bloody good album!

From what I gather, he played variations of a set list every night!

Quite a few songs were condensed into medleys, including a piano and vocal only medley that featured the likes of Raspberry beret and Little red Corvette.

Purple Rain was of course played, as was stuff like Cream, Sign o the times, Alphabet St, U got the look, Kiss & 1999, his versions of I feel for you (better known by Chaka Khan) and Nothing compares 2 u (better known by Sinead Oconnor) were also played.

An unusual cover of Play that funky music, was played as a kinda duet with support act Common (I think that was his name).

We sadly only got a few lines of When doves cry (didnt even reach the chorus), and some big songs were completely missing (Most beautiful girl in the world, Lets go crazy, Get off etc).

Unsurprisingly, also nothing from the Batman album (his most successful UK release), as I think he wont play it due to issues with Warners.

Only one song from his new album was played, Guitar, which is probably the best track on what turns out to be a bloody good album!

Sounds like it was an awesome show. I would have been pissed about "When Doves Cry". Did he play "Take Me With U"?

• 4 years later...

Yes... the man can indeed play a mean guitar. I wish he'd play more like he did back in the day though... He seems to play less and less these days. Dr. Fink (Keyboardist for The Revolution) still jams with a few of the local bands when they do Prince tunes and he's there. Nice guy.

There's a local Prince tribute band called Chase & Ovation. VERY good tribute. The guitarist and drummer are also in Hericane Alice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTbeHpRF1Hc