Music In A Foreign Language

Foreign Language Rock  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This poll is mainly aimed towards the native English speakers of this forum, but of course any of our international friends are welcome to put in their opinions as well.

I've been sitting here listening to a couple of the early Loudness albums (THE BIRTHDAY EVE and DEVIL SOLDIER), both of which are sung mostly in Japanese (with a few token English phrases thrown in here and there, seemingly at random) and the idea for this poll came to me. Since the majority of rock music released to the world market is sung and recorded in English, have you ever listened to any bands that don't sing in English? If so, is it a weird experience for you to listen to songs in which you don't understand a single word? (It is for me!) Do you try to sing along? (In the case of these Loudness discs, I do, but I just make up gibberish that sounds good)

Obviously if English is not your first language, you can answer these questions in relation to whatever your native lingo might be... I'm merely curious, that's all.

I think it's Cool..I really like Japanese Metal Like Loudness,

Sex Machine Guns,Anthem..But I also dig some Fench Metal like

Warning and Trust...Sometimes another language really makes

the song come alive..at least for me..I also really like a band

called Puya who sing in Spanglish..a combo of spanish and english...

also Baron Rojo kinda do the same thing...Coming from different

Nations bands also inject some of their native music in the whole thing...

and give ya a different spin on a well worn style...IMO..

, but of course any of our international friends are welcome to put in their opinions as well.

Thank you !!! ;)

I don't mind rock songs in any other language, except in german. I can't stand it !! <_<

I don't mind rock songs in any other language, except in german. I can't stand it !! <_<

It's funny you mention that because I remember reading an interview years ago with Udo Dirkschneider from Accept, in which they asked him why Accept (and just about every German metal band) chose to write songs and sing in English rather than their native German, and his response was something along the lines of "the German language doesn't really lend itself to being sung unless you're talking about drinking songs." :) In the rock and roll format, Udo said that German "just doesn't sound right."

I do remember hearing a few rock songs sung in German on the radio while I was in Germany back in the 80s, Bernd, and I have to agree with Udo's assessment, it really did sound very ODD!

It's funny you mention that because I remember reading an interview years ago with Udo Dirkschneider from Accept, in which they asked him why Accept (and just about every German metal band) chose to write songs and sing in English rather than their native German, and his response was something along the lines of "the German language doesn't really lend itself to being sung unless you're talking about drinking songs" ;)

:rofl2:

Great statement ! I couldn't agree more ! :P

:chug:

I voted not really. I'll have to admit there isn't a whole lot of foreign language music I've listened to it but most of it I haven't liked.

The lyrics are very important to me and if I can't understand them then it's hard for me to relate.

One song I did like was Blind Guardian's "Mies Del Dolor" which I think was sung in Italian but I could be wrong.

Haha... Weird question for me :P

This poll is mainly aimed towards the native English speakers of this forum, but of course any of our international friends are welcome to put in their opinions as well.

I've been sitting here listening to a couple of the early Loudness albums (THE BIRTHDAY EVE and DEVIL SOLDIER), both of which are sung mostly in Japanese (with a few token English phrases thrown in here and there, seemingly at random) and the idea for this poll came to me. Since the majority of rock music released to the world market is sung and recorded in English, have you ever listened to any bands that don't sing in English? If so, is it a weird experience for you to listen to songs in which you don't understand a single word? (It is for me!) Do you try to sing along? (In the case of these Loudness discs, I do, but I just make up gibberish that sounds good)

Obviously if English is not your first language, you can answer these questions in relation to whatever your native lingo might be... I'm merely curious, that's all.

This has been in my mind. I've been thinking about asking you guys exactly about this since I've been listening to this Spanish heavy metal band MAGO DE OZ. Not exactly the first time that I've listened to spanish hard rock. I remember the first one that I've heard was SANGRE AZUL and hated it. But this MAGO DE OZ, I really liked even though I don't understand a word they're singing. Maybe because with SANGRE, the vocals were horrible. Try finding one of MAGO DE OZ's CDs and if you like melodic metal, you'll definitely enjoy it.

I vote a big no. Excellent bands like Tanner, Ladies Room, Grand Slamm and Jack N' Jokers were all lost on me because of foreign lyrics. :( Sadly, as all kick immense ass musically. But lyrics are far too important to me to accept these strange sounds called foreign languages. :)

, but of course any of our international friends are welcome to put in their opinions as well.

Thank you !!! ;)

Bernd, Oh my goshness, you are missing out on hearing fabulous melodic rock from Germans SOS.

Hmmmmm ......., do they really sing in German ? :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Guess I missed this poll back in its heyday. Or I saw it was created by Keef and figured there was no way in hell it could be remotely cool, and therefore ignored it like the ugly girl at a Playboy Mansion party.

I voted "No." Nothing against foreign languages, but for me it seriously detracts from my enjoyment of the music if I can't understand the lyrics. Even bands that sing in English but are produced so that the music completely buries the vocals annoy me. I want to hear what's being said/sung, dammit!

Guess I missed this poll back in its heyday. Or I saw it was created by Keef and figured there was no way in hell it could be remotely cool, and therefore ignored it like the ugly girl at a Playboy Mansion party.

Ouch! First you call me a "sissy" who's "not troo," now this? If you're gonna ride my ass, at least buy me dinner first.

Ouch! First you call me a "sissy" who's "not troo," now this? If you're gonna ride my ass, at least buy me dinner first.

After sampling, I have found your ass to not be worth dinner.

Ouch...C'mon what's up with dissin' Brutha Keef...or am I reading it wrong.. :unsure:

Ouch...C'mon what's up with dissin' Brutha Keef...or am I reading it wrong.. :unsure:

To paraprhase Iron Maiden's "Sheriff of Huddersfield," "it's OK, I'm a New Jerseyan, I can take it..."

Ouch...C'mon, what's up with dissin' Brutha Keef...or am I reading it wrong. :unsure:

He's just the selected target of the day. I was looking for fresh prey; firing salvos at Geoff was getting too easy. Keef at least makes me work for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch...C'mon, what's up with dissin' Brutha Keef...or am I reading it wrong. :unsure:

He's just the selected target of the day. I was looking for fresh prey; firing salvos at Geoff was getting too easy. Keef at least makes me work for it.

I do seem to pop up somewhere in most your posts.

And I like it, quite frankly.

This has been in my mind. I've been thinking about asking you guys exactly about this since I've been listening to this Spanish heavy metal band MAGO DE OZ. Not exactly the first time that I've listened to spanish hard rock. I remember the first one that I've heard was SANGRE AZUL and hated it. But this MAGO DE OZ, I really liked even though I don't understand a word they're singing. Maybe because with SANGRE, the vocals were horrible. Try finding one of MAGO DE OZ's CDs and if you like melodic metal, you'll definitely enjoy it.

WHAT???!!!

Mago De Oz better than Sangre Azul?????? wait wait wait...

I'm from South America and i can to explain what are the best bands in Spanish in Style and Lyrics :

Sangre Azul : from Spain The best band ever for AOR lovers with great lyrics.

Coda : from mexico the second best band for AOR lovers the lyrics are great.

Track : from Bolivia super lyrics with great style.

Aliados : from my country Peru great lyrics for AOR/Melodic Rock lovers.

Rata Blanca : one of the best Heavy/Epic metal bands with very good lyrics.

Angeles del Infierno : Heavy Metal very good lyrics for Metal lovers.

Tercer Acto : from Mexico i think is the best band in lyrics simply a Super album.

Mago de Oz : Heavy/Celta Rock Good band very good lyrics, Sangre Azul is better by miles simple as that .

Heroes Del Silencio : Great band style Celta Rock very good lyrics.

Baron Rojo : Classic Heavy Metal band one of the best with the lyrics for Metal lovers.

Rafa Martin : Great singer similar to Bryan Adams "Corazon de Hierro" have great lyrics.

Kamikaze : Good Heavy/Hard Rock band with very good lyrics.

Alakran : Very good band very good lyrics.