Richard Marx

66 mustang

Another very underrated singer & songwriter. His last album ("My Own Best Enemy") is a little more modern sounding but is very highly recommended. Great catchy modern pop/rock. Ballad "Ready to Fly" is HUGE & the album is of his usual high standards, although the thing dramatically tails off at the end.

His "Paid Vacation" album is his masterpiece IMO, & is utterly essential for lite AOR or pop/rock fans... :banger:

Love All his stuff right from the debut to his latest 'My Own Best Enemy'. Some of it is quite lite, so may well not appeal to the masses here, but no denying the talent of the man. Definately should be allowed on the HH pages as well, considering some of the other Liter artists are here!!!!!

Back in my teenybopper years, Marx was my favorite vocalist, and though my tastes have evolved into something much harder & heavier, I still think the guy has one of the best voices in pop/rock. I don't own any of his CDs anymore, but everytime I come across one of his songs on the radio, I stop fiddling with the dial and give it a listen. My favorite song by him is "Children of the Night." I had the cassette single of that song back in the day and literally wore it out playing it over and over again.

• 1 year later...

Richard Marx:

Best... mullet... EVER.

Back in the day I used to have 'Paid Vacation' and a few of his tapes. I even have the CD of the album with 'Satisfied' and 'Angelina' on it. The funny thing for me with this guy, and it rarely happened with anyone else... but his hits are actually the only tunes I really like. 'Right here waiting for you' is as sweet to me as the first time I ever heard it. Beautiful song. 'Angelina' is probably my all-time favourite Marx song, and how can you not love 'Hazard'? As a kid I loved 'Satisfied' too but not so much anymore.

At the end of the day, I only like 3 of his songs, but they're good songs. :)

I USED to own one of His CDs, but I have long since gotten rid of it....... :whistle:

Suuuuuuuuure you have. Suuuuuuuuure you have. :whistle:

I'm not afraid to admit but I love Marxy's music,

These would be my favourites, and yes as Geoff mentioned most of them are the hits, but there some pretty special non-hits as well. Paid Vacation would be my favoutite album of all. I also highly recommend his latest album from 2004 My Own Best Enemy which has 12 really cool sounding pop/rock tracks. 'Angelia' is amazing and what about 'Take This Heart' and 'Chains Around my heart' from Rush Street, those are some really kick ass sounding songs.

S/T 1987 - should've known better, don't mean nothing, endless summer nights, hold on to the nights

Repeat Offender 1989 - satisfies, angelia, right here waiting, children of the night

Rush Street 1991 - take this heart, hazard, chains around my heart

Paid Vacation 1993 - one more try, silent scream, nothing to hide, now and forever, goodbye hollywood, nothing left behind us, one man

Flesh And Bone 1996 - until i find you again

Days In Avalon 2000 - someone special, power of you and me, boy next door

And one of the most under-rated album ever:

My Own Best Enemy 2004 - nothing left to say, when you're gone, one thing left, love goes on, ready to fly, again, colder, everything good, the other side, someone special, suspicion, falling

These would be my favourites, and yes as Geoff mentioned most of them are the hits, but there some pretty special non-hits as well. Paid Vacation would be my favoutite album of all. I also highly recommend his latest album from 2004 My Own Best Enemy which has 12 really cool sounding pop/rock tracks. 'Angelia' is amazing and what about 'Take This Heart' and 'Chains Around my heart' from Rush Street, those are some really kick ass sounding songs.

S/T 1987 - should've known better, don't mean nothing, endless summer nights, hold on to the nights

Repeat Offender 1989 - satisfies, angelia, right here waiting, children of the night

Paid Vacation 1993 - one more try, silent scream, nothing to hide, now and forever, goodbye hollywood, nothing left behind us, one man

My Own Best Enemy 2004 - nothing left to say, when you're gone, one thing left, love goes on, ready to fly, again, colder, everything good, the other side, someone special, suspicion, falling

Backed 100%. His first 3 albums were all about the singles with the rest of the songs being a bit patchy, but "Paid Vacation" is pretty much flawless, especially that Billy Joel song he did (can't remember the title). "My Own Best Enemy" is jam-packed full of hooks/catchy tunes.

Backed 100%. His first 3 albums were all about the singles with the rest of the songs being a bit patchy, but "Paid Vacation" is pretty much flawless, especially that Billy Joel song he did (can't remember the title). "My Own Best Enemy" is jam-packed full of hooks/catchy tunes.

did he still have the mullet in 04?

'Miami 2017' was the Billy Joel cover and is an awesome version - my fave from that album as well. Of all his albums 'Repeat Offender' is my fave although as fahrenheit says above, his last release 'My Own Best Enemy' was really great as well. A Good solid discography throughout his career in fact.

Richard Marx:

Best... mullet... EVER.

:rofl2: backed his was killer...hey that would be a cool emcon thingy

a mullet... :rofl2:

Now that I think about it, Billy Ray Cyrus had a pretty mean-ass Mullet back in the day, too. Those two should've had a Steel Cage Mullet-Off Death Match to determine whose was the best.

'Miami 2017' was the Billy Joel cover and is an awesome version - my fave from that album as well. Of all his albums 'Repeat Offender' is my fave although as fahrenheit says above, his last release 'My Own Best Enemy' was really great as well. A Good solid discography throughout his career in fact.

You guys definitely got me interested in the last album he did now. I'm going to try and pick that one up somewhere. Guessing it's easy to pick up for a few dollars? I almost feel like going back through my old tapes to listen to 'Paid vacation' again too. But it's too much of a hassle to play tapes these days. :lol:

I'll have to track down another copy of Paid Vacation, I've discovered there are two versions of the album, one with 'Miami 2017' & 'Whole World To Save' and one missing these two tracks.

You guys definitely got me interested in the last album he did now. I'm going to try and pick that one up somewhere. Guessing it's easy to pick up for a few dollars? I almost feel like going back through my old tapes to listen to 'Paid vacation' again too. But it's too much of a hassle to play tapes these days. :lol:

Yeah you've gotta get that last album, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Just listening to 'Until I Find You Again' from Flesh And Bone. Man that's an incredible song and it's the only good song on that entire CD. Sounds as though it should've been on Rush Street. I know that track was released as a CD single which I see on E-Bay from time to time. Worth picking up for sure.

I'll have to track down another copy of Paid Vacation, I've discovered there are two versions of the album, one with 'Miami 2017' & 'Whole World To Save' and one missing these two tracks.

Yep I don't think the U.S version has these tunes on it, they're only on the Euro release. "Whole World to Save" is kinda average but "Miami 2017" is an incredible tune - one of his best....

He is a phenomenal songwriter and a very underrated singer. I love all his stuff. I think Richard Marx is brilliant.