Testament Poll

Fave Testament Studio Album?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Continuing my efforts to make this Fat Freddy's Page O'Metal Polls... what's your favorite studio album by the Bay Area Bashers? My vote goes to "Low," with "Practice What You Preach" in at a very close second

Continuing my efforts to make this Fat Freddy's Page O'Metal Polls... what's your favorite studio album by the Bay Area Bashers? My vote goes to "Low," with "Practice What You Preach" in at a very close second

:agree::banger: Low is Great!!

I saw them on the "LOW" tour in '94 at a little club in Long Island, NY... killer show, even though the two opening bands sucked and Testament didn't go on till quarter after 2 in the morning (!!) ...ugh

Gotta go with Preach with Low a very close 2nd.

New Order, Ritual, Souls, and Legacy are also all great.

Testament is the most underated thrash band out there.

If they would of came out a couple of years earlier they would of been so much bigger. Chuck Billy is my fav vocalist of the 80's thrash bands and Scholnick's solos were always amazing.

If they would of came out a couple of years earlier they would of been so much bigger. Chuck Billy is my fav vocalist of the 80's thrash bands and Scholnick's solos were always amazing.

"Preach" is a great record but the production is kinda weak sounding. LOW, however, whacks you upside the head like a brick! That thing is HEAVY!!!

"Preach" is a great record but the production is kinda weak sounding. LOW, however, whacks you upside the head like a brick! That thing is HEAVY!!!

While I do agree that the production was better on Low, I just will always love the song "the Ballad".

Oh yea, "The Ballad" is an excellent tune... I also like the instrumental at the end of that album, "Confusion Fusion" or whatever it's called...

I went for "Practise What You Preach", a great mainstream thrash CD. I never liked 'em as much as Overkill though as the production never really worked as well. And neither band was as good as SEPULTURA IMO, they were the thrash/death kings...

I went for "Practise What You Preach", a great mainstream thrash CD.  I never liked 'em as much as Overkill though as the production never really worked as well.  And neither band was as good as SEPULTURA IMO, they were the thrash/death kings...

Sepultura was awesome ... I especially like the BENEATH THE REMAINS, ARISE, and CHAOS A.D. period... saw'em twice back then and they crushed live... but ROOTS kinda lost me and the newer stuff with Derrick singing doesn't do much for me (although I did like their cover of U2's "Bullet The Blue Sky" from the last album...)

I went for "Practise What You Preach", a great mainstream thrash CD.  I never liked 'em as much as Overkill though as the production never really worked as well.  And neither band was as good as SEPULTURA IMO, they were the thrash/death kings...

Sepultura was awesome ... I especially like the BENEATH THE REMAINS, ARISE, and CHAOS A.D. period... saw'em twice back then and they crushed live... but ROOTS kinda lost me and the newer stuff with Derrick singing doesn't do much for me (although I did like their cover of U2's "Bullet The Blue Sky" from the last album...)

The new SEPULTURA vocalist is pretty bad IMO, but I loved those early discs too. The whole ROADRUNNER re-mastered series really gave them a new lease of life. "Beneath the Remains" is incredible, but I LOVE "Roots". It's very nu-metal, but is so atmospheric & has the most unique production with a kicking rhythm section. It's the kinda production that "Chaos AD" needed...

The only Sep CD I bought with Derrick was AGAINST (his first one) and it didn't do a thing for me, I ended up trading it away. I guess musically it was OK but it just sounded rushed. (I found out later that the band had written most of the album before Derrick joined the band and he basically learned the songs on the fly, so I guess that's not so far from the truth.) I have heard one song off of the new one (I believe it's called "Convicted In Life") and it sounded OK, a little more "old school" vibe to it, but it wasn't enough to make me rush out and buy DANTE XXI or whatever it's called...

My brother and I were both SO let down by ROOTS. We both loved CHAOS A.D. and after waiting three years for a new CD we could hardly wait to hear it, but both of us reacted like "???" It was one of those CDs that we listened to for like a week straight, really WANTING to like it, really TRYING to like it, and eventually we both realized it just wasn't our thang.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a way to choose wo albums?

The Ritual

Low

both rule

All you guys that like "Low" ought to check out "The Gathering" - their last studio disc. It does verge on death metal on a lot of occasions (not as much as on "Demonic") but it's a killer disc, awesome songwriting & real pounding rhythm section - unlike they've ever had before. Opener "DNR (Do Not Rescucitate)" is just about the best thrash/death tune of the last 10 years...

• 1 year later...

Having recently found my interest turning a little toward the heavier stuff, not too long ago I perused the entire Testament catalog (the only other time I had bothered listening to them was years ago, when my tastes were decidely more melodic) and ended up impressed by a few of their albums: "Practice What You Preach," "Souls of Black," and "Low." Of those 3 keepers, "Low" is far and away their best, so that's where my vote went. (As a sidenote, there are good songs on "Ritual" and "Gathering," but not enough to make them keepers in my book.)

Low... great album!

but The Gathering and Practice.. are very close 2nd/3rd (can't decide :) )

I'm a huge Testament fan so I like almost everything they did, but these are really their best ones... imo..

Testament rule!

• 4 years later...

Good poll, one of my favourite 3 or 4 bands ever. All great albums.

Reckon I could be the only one voting for 'Souls of Black' here. 'New Order' has two of the best thrash songs of all time imo, but I tend to only ever listen to those two and maybe one other track off the album, whereas I love everything on 'Souls of Black'. A great album, love every song.

Pretty sure that I am the only person who would put 'The Legacy' last of these. I just prefer listening to the the others.

The New Order gets my vote every single time ... an absolute classic from start to finish ... :git: