Manila Thrills

Malebolgia

So I guess our choices are.......Retrospect gets this release and we will see it quicker..... if Suncity gets it, the packaging will be a bit nicer but we will have to wait 6 months or more for the finished product.......hmmm........not sure which way to go here............. <_<

Hello People, Dave from Suncity Records here.  Just a question to the Heavy Harmonies die hards:

Would you guys like to see the Manila Thrills album released on cd by Retrospect Records or Suncity Records??  Just very interested in what people think.

As you know Suncity Records have set prices, take alot of pride in the artwork, production (re-mastering/re-mixing) and release everything on SILVER PRESSED discs??

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards

Dave

Suncity Records

P.S.  This post is not intended on starting up the Retrospect Records spokes people, just for me to get an idea on what people think??

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess our choices are.......Retrospect gets this release and we will see it quicker..... if Suncity gets it, the packaging will be a bit nicer but we will have to wait 6 months or more for the finished product.......hmmm........not sure which way to go here............. <_<

:lol:

The Manila Thrills album has almost been re-mastered and all-new art work has been done so it would be released in 3-6 weeks once the paper work was fixed up.

I know I would rather a record company to put in more time and effort into a release and for it to take a little longer to come out than these quick fire releases by record companies that take no pride in their work.

I tell you what, if I was choosing between Metal Mayhem and Retrospect Records, It would be hands down Metal Mayhem. At least there is alot of time and effort gone into the Artwork and Production values. Although I would say Ryan is really busy right now with the releases of Dare Force, Kidd Blue and Miss Crazy dew out very shortly.

Kind Regards

Dave

Suncity Records

Ok just to settle the argument.......hahahaha.....I say give it to Ryan @ Metal Mayhem, that way we have everyone in the world involved.......Sorry for my ill-witted humor......hahahaha....

Later

Lon

Yeah, and give the distribution to Davesmetal :P

Seriously, I dont care much who will release it, if it is proper release for reasonable price.

David, I think your estimated release is not realistic given your past history with releases, you have not put anything out that fast yet, so I would say it would be more like 10 - 12 weeks, although to be fair, your finished product is very nice... :)

The Manila Thrills album has almost been re-mastered and all-new art work has been done so it would be released in 3-6 weeks once the paper work was fixed up.

I know I would rather a record company to put in more time and effort into a release and for it to take a little longer to come out than these quick fire releases by record companies that take no pride in their work.

I tell you what, if I was choosing between Metal Mayhem and Retrospect Records, It would be hands down Metal Mayhem.  At least there is alot of time and effort gone into the Artwork and Production values.  Although I would say Ryan is really busy right now with the releases of Dare Force, Kidd Blue and Miss Crazy dew out very shortly.

Kind Regards

Dave

Suncity Records

Now Mikey, I know you are never going to agree with me since we had a fall out over that Sister Sky CD you had on ebay but the reason our first 2 releases took so long is because we put alot of time and effort into packaging and production as well as starting up a business. You wouldn't have a clue what those Schoolboy Crush & Blue Tears sound like before they went through the remastering process.

The next 2 releases: Swingin' Thing & Blue Tears will be of the highest quality and that is what our fans will expect from us. Let me tell ya, these next 2 CD's will have you saying to yourself WOW!! they are totally worth the wait. I gaurentee it mate!!

As I have said before the artwork and the pre-production (the things that take all the time) has been done so it would be a matter of just pressing them.

To the rest of you all, I had a listen to how the South Station material is turning out and it will blow your mind!! I can't wait to upload some sound samples on the website.

Kind Regards

Dave

Suncity Records

Now......I'm confused. In the other thread....in the email Michael sent, he stated "OUT ON RETROSPECT RECORDS SOME TIME BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR"

Why is everyone / anyone spinnin' their wheels in the first place? It sounded like it was a 'done deal'. :blink:

Now......I'm confused.  In the other thread....in the email Michael sent, he stated "OUT ON RETROSPECT RECORDS SOME TIME BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR"

Why is everyone / anyone spinnin' their wheels in the first place?  It sounded like it was a 'done deal'. :blink:

It's the sea foam green cd-r's. They don't match my Fall wardrobe. I have had the deal scuttled. Look for it to be released on a nice teal blue cd-r, in the near future.

Now......I'm confused.  In the other thread....in the email Michael sent, he stated "OUT ON RETROSPECT RECORDS SOME TIME BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR"

Why is everyone / anyone spinnin' their wheels in the first place?  It sounded like it was a 'done deal'. :blink:

It's the sea foam green cd-r's. They don't match my Fall wardrobe. I have had the deal scuttled. Look for it to be released on a nice teal blue cd-r, in the near future.

I want PINK !!!!!

Silly! :lol:

Again, not to stir up stuff, but I'd like to see David handle it. I'm not going to get into the whole Retrospect thing (and have nothing against them per se), but I trust a lot of word here and if it remotely seems like I'll have something that doesn't look top notch, I want nothing to do with it.

Even thought like JLP says, until you have bought the actual product, you have no clue what you're talking about. I'm willing to take this chance until I can actually see Sam's product. I might be narrow-minded or whatever, but it is my money. And if it is on Retrospect, I guess I'll have some serious thinking to do.

I want PINK !!!!!

I think all of us guys would like a little pink.

I want PINK !!!!!

*sigh*

I want PINK !!!!!

Metal Jay, too funny!!! Haha!!! :lol:

Just to keep everyone up to speed here:

I am the one who sent David & Sue at Suncity an e-mail. Michael really wants this release to be on silver pressed cd's, and not cd-r's. He is scheduled to sign with Retrospect this week. NO contracts have been signed yet.

Michael has asked me to ask all of you who own the Blue Tears release what you all think of it. Not how long it took to come out, but how the finished product is.

If those of you who have the Blue Tears release by Suncity would put your comments about the final release here...I will forward your comments on to Michael. He wants to make sure you were all satisfied with the Suncity release before he signs anything.

Also, I did email Ryan from Metal Mayhem, but Michael hasn't heard back from him yet.

From Michael:

I actually got a call from David from Sun City Records this afternoon.Hes sending over a contract for review.

I have not heard from Metal Mayhem yet.

I have a question for you...You seem to know & have purchased product from some of these companies before. heres the delema;I like the fact that Sun City does it on standard silver cds as opposed to cdrs.But I looked at the 2 respective web sites & the Retrospect looks pretty good while the Sun City looks unfinished. Do you know anything about either of these companies & of their reputation within the re-release industry.How are each of their respective products viewed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Michael Beck

So let's help Michael out here. Comment on what you have bought, and I will forward it to Michael. He just wants us all to have a polished final product.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

M.

Just to keep everyone up to speed here:

I am the one who sent David & Sue at Suncity an e-mail. Michael really wants this release to be on silver pressed cd's, and not cd-r's. He is scheduled to sign with Retrospect this week. NO contracts have been signed yet.

Michael has asked me to ask all of you who own the Blue Tears release what you all think of it. Not how long it took to come out, but how the finished product is.

If those of you who have the Blue Tears release by Suncity would put your comments about the final release here...I will forward your comments on to Michael. He wants to make sure you were all satisfied with the Suncity release before he signs anything.

Also, I did email Ryan from Metal Mayhem, but Michael hasn't heard back from him yet.

From Michael:

I actually got a call from David from Sun City Records this afternoon.Hes sending over a contract for review.

I have not heard from Metal Mayhem yet.

I have a question for you...You seem to know & have purchased product from some of these companies before. heres the delema;I like the fact that Sun City does it on standard silver cds as opposed to cdrs.But I looked at the 2 respective web sites & the Retrospect looks pretty good while the Sun City looks unfinished. Do you know anything about either of these companies & of their reputation within the re-release industry.How are each of their respective products viewed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Michael Beck

So let's help Michael out here. Comment on what you have bought, and I will forward it to Michael. He just wants us all to have a polished final product.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

M.

I spoke my word. I remember when David told me that he was starting a record label to reissue lost Hard Rock classics that we all love (Blue Tears, Reckless - No Frills, Schoolboy, etc.) and remember telling him to just make the packages great (lookswise and soundwise), collectible you know, and all of the collectors will get it and this should spread to even other more general music fans...which is exactly what happened to the Suncity releases, and the same with the Surrender reissue too (great one as well).

I can honestly say that David and Suncity Records exceeded my expectations in their final product. Not knocking anyone else, but I think anyone who did buy the Suncity releases had to be more than thrilled at the sheer quality of it all. I personally collect older 80's pop and lots of other genres that are out of print (or were never in print on CD at least) and can attest to seeing some real crappy reissue packages, and some really nice ones too, and let me assure you that the Suncity ones are truly of the best calibre that I've seen.

Thanks for your reply Ripper. I will pass your kind words about Suncity along to Michael. He really appreciates the input we all have as fans of this kind of music.

****Again...anyone who wants to hear the Manila Thrills song 'Just Gotta Go' PM me your email, and I will send it to you so you can see what all the fuss is about. I think the song speaks for itself.****

Yeah. I have to say I was really pleased with the overall professional look/aspect of the Blue Tears and Schoolboy Crush CDs from SunCity.

I do have to say, if you remember, I heard rumors and withheld purchasing until I heard so many good things about it. I'm always a bit cautious. It has nothing to do with Retrospect, per se, but the fact that it DOESN'T look like what I got from SunCity. Yeah, maybe I am missing some music. But, what I did get looked nice.

I'm definitely pleased with the SunCity product!

Hey Scott, you are really doing a good job on getting this done, no matter what label Michael decides to go with, you deserve a big pat on the back! I do think length of time after an artist signs, before seeing any product the public can buy should be discussed and passed on to michael.....he might think if he signs with Suncity his product will be available 3-6 weeks after signing, as david has stated, but I would let michael know david's label has been up and running for some time, with only 2 releases to show for it, but with several more signings, some of which go back months! I would think if he is inclined to go with a product that is silver pressed, and wants to get the product out there for sale, he should look at Metal Mayhem, I personally think their product is the best out there, and Ryan won't be telling us 6 months from now, "hey guys, only 3-6 weeks more to go before you hear the most killer music out there, better than the last album", etc, etc........but if Michael is ok with signing with the slowest label to produce cd's out there, then that is fine, seems to me he could have both, his product for sale in a reasonable amount of time, with a killer package, (Metal Mayhem)...........just food for thought.......

Having purchased the Blue Tears from David and Suncity Records, they have put together a great product from the remastering of the cd to the artwork and packaging of the cd......

....Nothing against Sam and Retrospect, i just have a hard time with "reissues or any issues" for that matter being done on a CDR format.....to me it is taking the cheap way out......No offense is intended like i said to Sam or Retrospect at all..........

Later

Lon

Yeah, good quality on those reissues, *BUT* at the same time I am not cutting anyone down, as there is a certain place for all of the reissues that are coming out, and they all have their benefits! ...You gotta give Sam props for doing his homework on his more recent releases, some very underground stuff that I thought would never see the light of day that got resurrected from cassette!!

• 4 weeks later...

*****UPDATE*****

I just received an email from Michael, and he wanted to let everyone know the official latest word on the Manila Thrills release.

Michael signed with Sam this past Monday, and the CD will be released on silver pressed discs. The CD will include the 7 original tracks from 'Tomorrow's Waiting' plus 4 bonus tracks for a total of 11 tracks. The songs are all remastered from the original 1/4" master tape. The bonus unreleased tracks are completely remastered also. Michael did all the remastering in his studio.

The songs are all completed. Michael said the artwork is finished, and just got shipped out today.

He said he will let me know as soon as he gets a release date.

Great news people!!!

More to come....

M.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.