Manila Thrills

Malebolgia

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he can get a hold of the band.....yeah, you just might. Mark my words.....

And I'm the one he beat out on it.......

Me too Jim. My friend is the one selling the cassette. He found it at the Good Will store in North Platte, NE. It mentions North Platte in the cassette sleeve. I live about 30 miles from there. Produded by Tom Tatman at Catamount Studios. I'm going to send Tom an e-mail to see if it was ever put on CD. We are going to 'dub' the tape tomorrow. If you want a copy let me know. I've never heard of them before, and neither has my friend. They are pretty damn good though. Time to solve a mystery Scooby...I'm on it.

Tom Tatman can be reached Here

As soon as you find something out on it, let me know! You have my email address...right??

Sorry Jim. I was sending Tom an e-mail. PM me your address again please so I can put it in my address book. As soon as I here something I'll let you know. *fingers crossed*

I don't think so. I just talked to my friend, and one of the original band members was watching the auction. He e-mailed my friend. I got his e-mail address. This might just be the start of something.

Not sure where they got the name from. When I find out I'll post it here.

I don't think so. I just talked to my friend, and one of the original band members was watching the auction. He e-mailed my friend. I got his e-mail address. This might just be the start of something.

Not sure where they got the name from. When I find out I'll post it here.

The "Thrilla In Manila" was a boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier I believe.

::::FROM WIKEPEDIA::::The Thrilla In Manila was a boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, fought at the Araneta Coliseum in the capital of the Philippines on October 1, 1975. Ali won.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, this is good stuff folks! Keep us posted about the progress of finding this. I'd love to see this re-released on disc (for real, not like the "authentic" one some people put on eBay).

David from Sun City, where are you? lol

Retrospect Records is in the process of putting this out, I believe. So keep your eyes and ears peeled........

Wow, that didn't take long for Sam to contact the band members...are they neighbors of his or something? <_<

Age of the internet............zoooooooooooooooooom!!!

VERY COOL!!!! From what I've heard, it kicks some ASS!!! :banana:

Wow, that didn't take long for Sam to contact the band members...are they neighbors of his or something? <_<

Actually, through one of the members here, Malebolgia, the whole deal took place......

Choc........you may as well realise that Retrospect is legitimate. It will give yourself a whole heckuva lot less stress.....and you may actually pick up some cool music in the process.

However......it's completely up to you if you....

Keep rockin'!!

Actually, through one of the members here, Malebolgia, the whole deal took place......

Choc........you may as well realise that Retrospect is legitimate. It will give yourself a whole heckuva lot less stress.....and you may actually pick up some cool music in the process.

However......it's completely up to you if you....

Keep rockin'!!

It may be legit, but I can pick up cdr's much cheaper than 20 bucks a pop via trades. Until Sam clearly states on his site that he's selling CDR's, the whole thing remains a scam in my book.

If only Sam would spend a "little" extra money and press his titles on authentic / silver-backed discs, we'd ALL be buying a lot more of his product.  There are at least five CD's I'd order from his site right now if that were the case.

Keep asking, JLP... It can't hurt.

Right on...I'd give him plenty of business if they were...I'm sure we all would. I'm just not sure that he gives a rat's ass...

I can assure you that the releases arent cutouts, as I have all of them. And the reason that the cd's arent silver pressed has to do with cost and quantity of the products. And there are a ton of bands that are releasing their cd's on non silver pressed cd's such as Monkey Cocktail, Widow's Rose, and Le Compt just to name a few.

***MANILA THRILLS UPDATE***

Howdy folks,

I just got home from work and received an email from Michael Beck:

10/14/05

Just wanted to let you know, I`m currently re-mastering the release as well as the unreleased songs. They are coming out great. They are coming off the original 1/4" mix tape from the producer that did the record. He still had it & sent it to me.

There will be 11 tracks total now. The cover for the cd is coming along really great as well.

I`ll let you know a release date when we have one.

Thanks again for all your help,

Michael Beck

engineer/producer

www.soundvisionrecording.com

Seems like things on the MT front are coming along nicely. I'm going to reply to Michael's email in the morning. Glad to see this great music getting a proper reissue.

More to come.....

M.

Still not sure about the quality of retrospect records, looks like a cutout in the upper right hand side. Never seen reissues with cutout artwork.

http://retrospectrecords.com/Band/Herman.htm

I hope I'm wrong, I'm seeing some great stuff.

Yep, looks like a punch hole.

My guesswould be he probably used a scan from a cut-out CD artwork and didnt fix the image before re-using it... maybe he doesnt have photoshop or other image altering software...

And the reason that the cd's arent silver pressed has to do with cost and quantity of the products.

Okay, this is a very interesting topic for discussion.

Check this out: http://www.discmakers.com/music/products/cd100.asp

As you can see manufacturing of 1000 PROPERLY made CDs (complete package: pro-printed inserts, traycard, 3-color on-disc silkscreen, barcode, shrinkwrapping, FREE distribution on cdbaby.com) will cost you $1.29 each...

NOW, if this seems a big quantity for you, you still can make 500 for $2.38 each, or even 300 for $3.30 each

Please dont tell me that $1.29 would be "too expensive investment" in a products that retail between $19.99 to $49.99 !

Nope, $3.30 would not be either! :P

And there are a ton of bands that are releasing their cd's on non silver pressed cd's such as Monkey Cocktail, Widow's Rose, and Le Compt just to name a few.

Yeah, and how many of those bands sell their CD-Rs for $49.99, or even $19.99 ?

And I hope you dont really expect me to believe Sam is paying like 100% royalties to the bands, do ya? Because I DO make diference between "self-released" product a band releases and sells themselves, and licensed release by a record label, in which case the band gets some small portion of the retail price... hope that many of the other forum users make that difference too.

Last, but not least: I still keep buying CDs mostly for the sole purpose of getting the REAL, UNIQUE product - nice, shiny, and glossy, with cool pictures, info, lyrics, etc...

NOW, why should I pay $49.99 for a el-cheapo CD-R, if I can go and buy the same album for download online from ipod tunes or napster for $10?

What additional value I'll get for the rest $39.99???

Anyway, please consider all those questions rethorical and dont bother answering me for the sake of peace and sanity on this board, thanks and have a nice day!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.