Van Zant - Always Look Up

Stefan

That is not what I was expecting when you said it was gonna be a gospel album... "Jesus Christ" rocks! :banger: 

What do you think of this one?  @metalmaniac777

11 hours ago, melodicrock said:

Didn't like the song first of all, the religious aspect is the nail in the coffin.

Sure, im betting a lot of people feel as you do.  Ive been listening to gospel music since a little kid. And Southern Rock as always been one of my favorite Genre. ;)

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 11:00 AM, whiplash1972 said:

That is not what I was expecting when you said it was gonna be a gospel album... "Jesus Christ" rocks! :banger: 

What do you think of this one?  @metalmaniac777

Like you said--unexpected! "Gospel" really isn't up my musical alley, but lace it with that rock edge and I'll give it a shot. Curious to see how the rest of the album sounds.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an atheist but will quite happily listen to Christian music. Hell I will listen to any music if it is good. I don't worship Satan, but will listen to Satanic music if it is good. I will listen to songs about drugs, despite never doing drugs. To me, with very few exceptions, I don't give a tarts furry cup if the lyrics are something I don't care about, as long as the music is good and the singers can sing (even happy to listen to foreign languages).

That said, if lyrics make me cringe because they are godawful, it is tough to listen to a song. Some of this is mega cringe, not because it's Christian but because it's just not that great lyrically.

I don't think either of these songs are awful, but they just did not grab me and the lyrics could have been so much better.

As much as new Stryper gets on my tits as it all sounds the same, classic Stryper despite the preachy lyrics was always well written, hence why I really loved the band. And Michael Sweets first solo album was fucking amazing.

I have Guardian, King James, Liberty & Justice, Bloodgood and a few other Christian bands in my collection, so judging Christian music is certainly not about the message, it's just about whether the music is good or not.

• Like 1

image.png.bf333dcce22e878fa6537db7d7dcf781.png

From Frontiers:

TRACKLIST:

1 Awesome God
2 Stand Up
3 Warrior
4 There You Are
5 Speak His Name
6 Why God Brought Me Here

7 Praying
8 It's Up to You
9 Holy Moment
10 Leaning on the Cross
11 Jesus Christ

---

When a musical family gets together to record, magic can happen and this is what the VAN ZANT’s are here for! Brothers Johnny and Donnie Van Zant (respectively current lead vocalist of Southern Rock icons Lynyrd Skynyrd and founding member of .38 Special) were able to find room in their busy schedules for the first time in 1998, recording their collaboration album “Brother to Brother”: a tribute to their late brother and Lynyrd Skynyrd original singer and founding member Ronnie. Such release was highly acclaimed between the press and fans worldwide and brought the duo to record a follow up album, simply entitled “II” in 2001.

Their collaboration during the years did not stop as they tapped their feet in a more Country-oriented style with the release of “Get Right With the Man” (certified Gold in the USA in 2005) and later on with “My Kind of Country” in 2007. Now the brothers once again reinvent themselves, offering a Christian-themed album encompassing their Rock and Blues musical roots (and with a touch of Country for good measure). The result “Always Look Up” is made up of songs that will touch the listener’s heart and soul, with an emotional depth that is truly second to none in today’s musical landscape. Experience the soul touching that only the music from the Van Zant family, can provide. You will see why they are icons of the American South, and musical heroes to millions around the globe!

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1