2024 The year the music died?

• My Little Pony
4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, a Russian site, actually. Don’t have my laptop today and can’t remember the name off the top of my head. It’s a downloading site too, which is not for everyone, but I’ve found these sites the only way to keep up to date with new modern releases, for better or worse. If someone has an alternative I’d happily add to watch list, but seems so hard to get all the sub-genres of modern rock / metal in one place… other than these download sites. 

Oh, those Russians.

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Mp3Million by any chance? 

Nah not that one. Not heard of that. 

16 hours ago, Glen said:

it's March ffs 

most of what will be released in the first half of the year has been announced, so hopefully the second half of the year will yield some unexpected gold.  I can't imagine you think the new Bon Jovi album in June is gonna save the year for anybody. 

15 hours ago, Geoff said:

Haha, I wouldn’t bother if I was you, mate. Absolutely guarantee you’ll hate them all but some of my favourites;

The Broken View - Ordinary Love

Blind Channel - Exit Emotions

Anchors & Hearts - Deathlist

The Darkest Moment - Love & Loss EP

The Day We Left Earth - s/t

Dead By April - The Affliction

Emil Bulls - Love Will Fix It

Floya - Yume

Kill The Lights - Death Melodies

Makari - Wave Machine

Mick Mars - The Other Side Of Mars

Sienna Skies - Only Change Is Permanent

Sunspear - s/t

Too Close To Touch - For Keeps

The Year - Kill The Imposter 

I don’t think there’s a band there I haven’t mentioned in the Other Music section on this forum, if you’re interested in this sort of gear. Happy listening! 

ah yea, that blind channel is awful lol, it sounded more emo than modern rock to me. For modern rock I was thinking more along of the lines of say Shinedown or Skillet. 

8 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

most of what will be released in the first half of the year has been announced, so hopefully the second half of the year will yield some unexpected gold.  I can't imagine you think the new Bon Jovi album in June is gonna save the year for anybody. 

no, but I've already told you what's on my radar so I will end up with a great top 10 like every other year.

And like every other year for the last 10 years the quality will drop off a cliff outside of the top 15-20 releases 🤷

11 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

ah yea, that blind channel is awful lol, it sounded more emo than modern rock to me. For modern rock I was thinking more along of the lines of say Shinedown or Skillet. 

Haha, yeah, that’s why I don’t muck around with labels. I just like good songs and I’d personally take Blind Channel over Shinedown or Skillet any day of the week, all the while I’m assuming I just like one rock band more than the other rock band without thinking one of them might be emo but the others aren’t. 😉 

So far I have:

Mick Mars

Judas Priest

Crazy Lixx

Durbin

Which were all cracking albums

Already on preorder or on the must buy list are:

The Warning

Rolling Quartz

Maverick

Sebastian Bach

Gun

Lipz

Diamante (no release date yet)

And the must not buy until its cheap list:

Bon Jovi

I should also say I was gonna buy the new Wicked album but they wanted $46 for postage, which is an absolute joke. And Strypers acoustic CD was overpriced as well.

So yeah, not looking like a bad year to me, and we have only scratched the surface with new album announcements so far.

Edited by Captain Howdy

• 3 months later...

So nearly four months after my last post I now have 12 new releases for this year with two others due this month (one is in transit from Korea).

Not all of the releases i have bought have been great, but I don't think anything was awful other than maybe Bon Jovi, but that was expected.

So far its:

Mick Mars

Crazy Lixx

About Us

The Warning

Lipz

Sebastian Bach

Judas Priest

Bruce Dickinson

Gun

Maverick

Durbin

Bon Jovi

On the way is new Rolling Quartz EP and new band Nek! is due the end of the month. Oh and Ghost's soundtrack album is due in less than two weeks.

I also have Terrorvision on preorder towards the end of the year.

There are several other new releases I am keeping an eye on as well, but really depends on how many older albums I pick up (and there has been a lot so far this year).

As said before, why all this fucking doom and gloom only three months into the year was going on is beyond me. Just because bands "you" like are not releasing, does not mean that bands other people like are not releasing as well, especially if you have a wider variety of musical tastes.

Hell, while I have always been a Priest fan I have never been a massive fan, and their new album fucking blew me away and is still my album of the year and I never would have expected that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say Judas Priest has competition for album of the year. The Warning have come in and put in a contender for the title. I guess I will have to see how I feel about both by the end of the year. It may even be a tie.

Oh, and the last few days I have gotten the new Rolling Quartz and Nek! EPs and they are both brilliant. Just a shame they are only EPs and not full albums.

Ghost was good, but as someone who does not care for live albums its never gonna get much playtime.

Oh and since my last post, Band Maid has announced another album in September, so that's another preorder I have to look forward to.