James Kottak dead at 61

https://metalsludge.tv/rip-kingdom-come-drummer-james-kottak-dead-at-61/

Metal Sludge — Sad news from the rock world today as we report the unfortunate passing of James Kottak.

A source close to the Kottak camp has confirmed the news that the drummer died early this morning in his hometown of Louisville Kentucky.

It is believed that Kottak died of an apparent cardiac arrest.

Kottak was best known as the drummer from Kingdom Come who made an impact in the late 80’s with their Led Zepplin esque influence.

Kottak was also part of various touring bands including a 2 decade stretch in Scorpions (1996-2016), Warrant (1994-1996) and Dio for a short run of shows in 1997.

Over the last many years, Kottak has made headlines at Metal Sludge among many other rock websites for a variation of reasons.

Kottak was involved in various side-projects as well including the band Krunk in the mid 90’s where he sang lead vocals and played guitar.

James Kottak was 61.

Metal Sludge would like to send our condolences to family and friends of James Kottak.

James_Kottak_Jan_2024_1.jpg

Stay tuned to Metal Sludge for Breaking News, Updates and Features, along with both new and classic interviews.

A beast of a drummer. RIP James

IMG_6291.jpeg

Saw this on Instagram or something of the sort a day or two ago. Pretty shocked, I was. He had quite the career and steers a decent song or two from his drum kit. Rest in Peace. 

The belief is it was cardiac arrest, but he has been a struggling alcoholic for years, which was what caused his depature from Scorpions, so who knows if that played a part.

• 1 month later...

I had no idea that Kingdom Come was still a thing but heard today their singer, Keith St. John has left because he can't deal with the death of James.

I realise James and Rick were founding members, but surely there is no Kingdom Come without Lenny "I have never heard Led Zeppelin" Wolf on vocals.

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I had no idea that Kingdom Come was still a thing but heard today their singer, Keith St. John has left because he can't deal with the death of James.

I realise James and Rick were founding members, but surely there is no Kingdom Come without Lenny "I have never heard Led Zeppelin" Wolf on vocals.

Apparently he’s not up to it, vocally, anymore and had allegedly given the band his blessing. But of course I agree 100%. Blessing or not, Lenny always was and could only ever be the voice of Kingdom Come. 

44 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Apparently he’s not up to it, vocally, anymore and had allegedly given the band his blessing. But of course I agree 100%. Blessing or not, Lenny always was and could only ever be the voice of Kingdom Come. 

It's like Quiet Riot. I don't care who gives their blessing. No Kevin, no QR. And let's not even get started on Autograph.

18 hours ago, Geoff said:

Apparently Lenny retired after the last Kingdom Come album, which was what 2013?  I'm sure James said he lived on a house boat and spent his time doing paintings!  Can't imagine he'd want to get back involved with whatever the ensuing mess is likely to be.

Keith St. John alluded to "communications between the band that he was made aware of that made it clear he couldn't continue" and JB Franks has been slating Keith in the comments on the Kingdom Come page.

However, it seems Danny Stag, JB Franks and Rick Stieir intend to continue with a new vocalist and drummer.

Michael White is really the only guy that could pull it off vocally anywhere like Lenny, and Dion Murdock who replaced Kottak is still based in the USA as a drummer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.  So if that rumoured new album was ever to appear, both of these guys could bring the gods as musicians and writers.

• 2023 Gold Donors

From what i understand Lenny flew into LA a few years ago and James was really trying to pull out all the stops to get Lenny on board but Lenny wouldn't do it.IMO,the band should've called it a day without him...they were so close to getting that complete classic line-up together...but now without James Kottak and no Lenny Wolf - it needs to end.The version of 'Kingdom Come' that Lenny has had off and on over in Europe weren't too exciting either...but at least he was singing.

• Like 1