Muse - Will of the People (2022)

heavyharmonies

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Glen said:

this is fast becoming one of my favs of 2022.

I love all 10 songs. 

Huh. I've never invested much time into this band, but if you're serious about that then I'll give this album a try. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Huh. I've never invested much time into this band, but if you're serious about that then I'll give this album a try. 

I would definitely check out YT samples before investing as the vocals can be somewhat of an acquired taste... a bit Justin Hawkins-esque at times.

• My Little Pony
13 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

I would definitely check out YT samples before investing as the vocals can be somewhat of an acquired taste... a bit Justin Hawkins-esque at times.

Well, it would be via the Spotifies. No monetary investment, only my time. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Ditto.

I've always liked what I've heard from Muse, but I've never really actively sought out their stuff for some reason.

I may have to rectify that.

1 hour ago, heavyharmonies said:

harsh lol. no one is as bad as him 🤣🤣

I agree that Muse can be an acquired taste and on previous albums I've probably only liked about 50% tbh.

This one really appeals to me though.

2 great synthwave styled songs, 2 great ballads and 2 or 3 cool rockers as well.

Not only is it musically good, but I love the theme. While not a concept album per se, it's definitely an anthem to the struggles of the people against oppressive jackbooted governments over the last 2 years; very V-for-Vendetta/Orwell's 1984 tone throughout. From the opening "Will of the People", the poignant (and accurate) "Compliance" (possibly the best song on the album IMO) through to the rousing and apt finale "We Are Fucking Fucked!", it's freaking great.

Yes, don't pay attention to the negative reviews out there. I am suspicious that they are politically motivated. It is a very good album. If I have one tiny issue it is how immediate it is, not as proggy as some of my favourite albums by Muse. But this band is so good I look forward to every release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Ditto.

I've always liked what I've heard from Muse, but I've never really actively sought out their stuff for some reason.

I may have to rectify that.

IMO their best 3 albums are still Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations and Origin of Symmetry. But they haven't released a bad album. 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant band and one i've followed since their first album. The new one is really good, not quite their best, Absolution, The 2nd Law and The Resistance edges it,  but it's right up there. Got my tickets for the tour next year year...one of the best live bands around