Electric Callboy - Tekkno (new album)

Captain Howdy

• 5 months later...

One thing that pisses me off about this album is the last cut, Neon... if I could have an entire album of this style, it would be superb IMO. As much as I dig their material, they are SOOO all over the map stylistically, and not all of it hits the mark, and this song proves that they are fully capable of melodic stuff.

That said, the latest vid they dropped last week is pretty cool:

I love the fact they are all over the place, makes for a great album to be honest. I love the fact they have the obviously more comedic songs they are known for, but also some great "serious" tracks like Neon, Parasite and Mindreader.

Hell, I even love the pop punk style of Fuckboi.

My only complaint is the album runtime isn't that long.

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to this and 'Recall' today and I really don't know what to make of them to be honest. As Dan says 'Neon' is a cracking track, but stylistically they are all over the place and I found some of it a bit too much if i'm honest and I think i'm pretty open minded when it comes to my music. I didn't hate it, far from it, but they aren't something I will return to very often

What a curious read, that they are stylistically all over the place. I actually had the opposite reaction when listening to this. I kind of felt like the majority of the songs were extremely similar in terms of that electronic jam leading into metalcore choruses, or verses. But for the most part, I thought it was pretty straightforward. They've always been this way, though, I guess with the electronic aspect becoming more prominent with each release. But otherwise it's basically par for the course. I was actually hoping the dude from To The Rats and Wolves would bring more of what he did on the last album with that band to EC, but they've not skipped a beat.

I did bang on about this a tonne at the time, but I don't think anyone ever listens, lol, but if you want something more melodic and, imo, much better, be sure to check out the lead singer's last band, To The Rats and Wolves and their wonderful last album before he joined Eskimo Callboy (much, much more clean vocals, highlighting his actually great voice). 

To The Rats and Wolves - Cheap Love (2019)

01. Cheap Love
02. Therapy
03. All The Things
04. Never Stop
05. Friends
06. Look What You Made Us Do
07. True feat. Trevor Wentworth
08. Cure
09. Famous
10. B.I.C.
11. Down

Listening to this again reminds me of how bummed I was when the band split up and the dude joined EC. Their earlier stuff is very much post-hardcore / metalcore in the style of EC, but I loved this last album. 

4 hours ago, Jez said:

Quite like that Geoff... That 'Down' tune is excellent

It’s a really good album. I’d think people here would far prefer it to EC. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 12:53 AM, Geoff said:

It’s a really good album. I’d think people here would far prefer it to EC. 

Just purchased a copy young man ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For those interested, but never got the original CD release, they are putting out a "Tour Edition" release of Tekkno on March 23 with bonus live tracks. 15 tracks vs. 10 on the original.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BSC8NMPJ

A1gRME62dPL._SL1500_.jpg