AOR Song of the Day

Darkstone

• 1 month later...

This is one of those weird ones where an artist went an entirely different route musically. Rose Tattoo released the album Beats from a single drum in 1986 which was a total change from their AC/DC style rock sound to a smoother, more AOR/pop rock sound. The album was re-released three years later as an Angry Anderson solo album after this song was famously used in 1988 as the wedding song in Aussie soap opera, Neighbours and actually scored Angry a huge hit in the UK singles chart.

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

This is one of those weird ones where an artist went an entirely different route musically. Rose Tattoo released the album Beats from a single drum in 1986 which was a total change from their AC/DC style rock sound to a smoother, more AOR/pop rock sound. The album was re-released three years later as an Angry Anderson solo album after this song was famously used in 1988 as the wedding song in Aussie soap opera, Neighbours and actually scored Angry a huge hit in the UK singles chart.

Saw a Tatts show, recently, people were yelling out for it.

In Angry's words " I don't sing crap, if want to hear it. When you get home tonight go play on your CD player"

• 2023 Gold Donors
11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

This song was an abomination, unfortunately my Mum loved it and bought the single. 

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent, or two in this thread, but Angry's second album produced "Bound For Glory".

BTW Doggy, I was actually at Waverley during the infamous "Batmobile" incident. 

Another "Neighbours" related track around the same time was "Memories" by "V Capri".

It was Mike and Jane's theme song. Another track my Mum loved that prompted her to get the album on cassette. 

Talking about Rose Tattoo, the cover of "Rock N Roll Outlaw" by Keel is perfection. 

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

This song was an abomination, unfortunately my Mum loved it and bought the single. 

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent, or two in this thread, but Angry's second album produced "Bound For Glory".

Another "Neighbours" related track around the same time was "Memories" by "V Capri".

It was Mike and Jane's theme song. Another track my Mum loved that prompted her to get the album on cassette. 

Talking about Rose Tattoo, the cover of "Rock N Roll Outlaw" by Keel is perfection. 

Ah, funny you should mention that Keel cover, Alexx Michael of Shameless posted a cover of that song yesterday by a female artist that is absolutely atrocious. I was trying for the life of me to remember who did the original as all I could remember was LA Guns did a cover of it.

I beg forgivness for posting this, but its so horrible that I think everyone needs to hear it

Late 80's cheese tastes good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Attempt get the boys of ones of cricket club which I'm involved use the Angry's song.

They prefer the Hunters or Tina Turner's songs.

• 2023 Gold Donors
20 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Ah, funny you should mention that Keel cover, Alexx Michael of Shameless posted a cover of that song yesterday by a female artist that is absolutely atrocious. I was trying for the life of me to remember who did the original as all I could remember was LA Guns did a cover of it.

I beg forgivness for posting this, but its so horrible that I think everyone needs to hear it

She's quite hot, how bad could it be?

I gave it a listen. 

I don't like being negative, but it's a Fucking Disgrace. How does shit like this get produced?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

She's quite hot, how bad could it be?

I gave it a listen. 

I don't like being negative, but it's a Fucking Disgrace. How does shit like this get produced?

Not only that, but how can anybody actually like that shit and post it intentionally for other "fans"?

Jailbait - Careless (1989 Norway)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Nice one, but I'd put that in the Melodic Hard Rock category.

Just my opinion, it's very subjective, others may disagree.  

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what do you personally consider the defining characteristics of each sub-genre. I'm trying to better understand them myself.

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you personally consider the defining characteristics of each sub-genre. I'm trying to better understand them myself.

That's a big question.

I'm still refining them daily. As I said, it's very subjective. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

EDIT: Sorry, just realised this is the completely wrong place to post things like this. Therefore, I deleted it.

Edited by swisspaddy

7 minutes ago, swisspaddy said:

EDIT: Sorry, just realised this is the completely wrong place to post things like this. Therefore, I deleted it.

My apologies

1 minute ago, swisspaddy said:

LOL. I meant my post, not yours.

Oops 😅

• 2023 Gold Donors
18 hours ago, swisspaddy said:

Was this a cheeky little dig at me?

If so, nice one.

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 4/7/2024 at 12:37 PM, GarrisonDreams said:

Having thought about it, I guess the best advice I could give is to check out the individual "Song of the Day" threads for each genre.

They're all pretty much on point.

50 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Was this a cheeky little dig at me?

If so, nice one.

No, no, I would never allow myself to do something like that. Probably. 

Okay, maybe in a year or two... But not now. Really! NO!

• Haha 1