AOR Song of the Day

Darkstone

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Having thought about it, I guess the best advice I could give is to check out the individual "Song of the Day" threads for each genre.

They're all pretty much on point.

Alright, thanks! So from my understanding, AOR leans more towards pop and melodic hard rock leans towards metal / hard rock, right?

2 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

AOR leans more towards pop and melodic hard rock leans towards metal / hard rock, right?

Yes.

The more Synths, the more AOR.

Edit: I'm not sure, but I think the "official" term is Melodic Rock. Without the hard.

Edited by swisspaddy
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mr.AOR said:

The term masterpiece gets bandied about for certain albums but this is one album were the term is correcrt, an AOR Masterpiece from start to finish, IMHO of course...

Pretty good song! It kind of reminds me of "All Through the Night" by Cydni Lauper—albeit, that's not an AOR song.

Here are a few killer tracks by a band which I don't think has ever been mentioned on this forum:

Edited by GarrisonDreams
Changed links to embeddable videos
  • Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Here are a few killer tracks by a band which I don't think has ever been mentioned on this forum:

You'd be wrong.

58 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

You'd be wrong.

Oh dang, you're right. The first time I tried searching the name Robby Valentine on the forum, no results popped up. Now that I did it again, I've gotten a bunch of them. Perhaps I mistyped it the first time.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:05 AM, Mr.AOR said:

An absolute must have album, KILLER!!! stuff...

I agree, it's definitely a great album. These are probably my two favorite songs by them:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Oh dang, you're right. The first time I tried searching the name Robby Valentine on the forum, no results popped up. Now that I did it again, I've gotten a bunch of them. Perhaps I mistyped it the first time.

You have to be on the forum homepage when you search so that the algorithm will search the entire board. If you’re in a subforum, like AOR and Hard Rock, when you do your search, the algorithm will only search in the subforum. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:02 AM, Mr.AOR said:

Since I found your post, I cannot stop listening to this song! It kinda reminds me of "Under the Gun" by Danger Danger (which happens to be my favorite song by them).

• Like 1

While not an AOR band, KISS has a few badass AOR demos, "Sword and Stone" and "When Two Hearts Collide." Even though these songs were never officially released, they're probably my two favorite songs by them.

• 2023 Gold Donors
15 hours ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Since I found your post, I cannot stop listening to this song! It kinda reminds me of "Under the Gun" by Danger Danger (which happens to be my favorite song by them).

Awesome album with only 7 tracks but all killer no filler. Was rereleased back in 2021 as part of the Lost US Jewels series with the addition of 5 extra tracks.

• Like 1

Has anybody here seen the movie Class of 1999 (1990)? This song is part of it's soundtrack; it plays in the ending credits.

8 hours ago, Mr.AOR said:

Awesome album with only 7 tracks but all killer no filler. Was rereleased back in 2021 as part of the Lost US Jewels series with the addition of 5 extra tracks.

Awesome, I'll definitely have to look into getting the CD!

• 2023 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)

Joey Tempest - Pleasure and Pain.

One from Joey's Great solo album of '95.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 12:18 AM, GarrisonDreams said:

Has anybody here seen the movie Class of 1999 (1990)? This song is part of it's soundtrack; it plays in the ending credits.

For someone of my age, the name Midge Ure is synonymous with "Ultravox", but his solo track, "If I Was" was a big hit in '85 and brings back heaps of memories for me.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

For someone of my age, the name Midge Ure is synonymous with "Ultravox", but his solo track, "If I Was" was a big hit in '85 and brings back heaps of memories for me.

Always liked that track and the album it came from "The Gift", 1985 was a good year.

I remember Midge getting drafted into Thin Lizzy halfway through their 1979 US tour to replace Gary Moore who had went AWOL again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Great track. I actually heard this version first.

I never knew there was another version of the song. Now that I heard it, I definitely like Paul Laine's lyrics better.

• 2023 Gold Donors
12 minutes ago, GarrisonDreams said:

I never knew there was another version of the song. Now that I heard it, I definitely like Paul Laine's lyrics better.

It's a bit weird, the only thing they have in common is the chorus.

6 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

It's a bit weird, the only thing they have in common is the chorus.

Yeah, it's kind of like "Running in the Night" by Triumph and "Go" by Signal, except those two songs don't share any common lyrics.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 minute ago, GarrisonDreams said:

Yeah, it's kind of like "Running in the Night" by Triumph and "Go" by Signal, except those two songs don't share any common lyrics.

Nice comparison. 

Are you sure your only 21?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Nice comparison. 

Are you sure your only 21?

Oh, I'm sure, and here's the part that'll really knock your socks off: I discovered most of the music I like on my own! My parents mostly listen to alternative and punk rock, but my mother introduced me to a couple of Bon Jovi songs when I was eight-years-old, and I've been hooked ever since then. I mostly discovered new bands by looking up a songs on YouTube and then watching all the related videos. That's how I know about so many obscure AOR bands, but wasn't familiar with bands such as ZZ Top.

• Like 1