2 Bands I just discovered, ive been playing the fk out of

Leykis101

I'm sure everyone here other then me has already heard these, not me, I just barely discovered, thanx 2 my step dad, but where have these guys been all my life, wow this band has an entirely different sound to them, HUGE choruses, and Sponges vocalist Vinnie Dombrowski at 16 years of age playing drums, this band would go onto be an ultra early version of Sponge, of course they completely changed, and Vinnie is a much different singer then this dude, and I dont know why but it wont play these, oh well, if you havent heard them, just follow my Youtube channel and they work perfectly on there??? IDK

And this was a 4 track demo from Neil Turbins band Bad Applz, this song is way cool

Edited by Leykis101

1 hour ago, DorrianWolf said:

You're not the only one man. I just heard this for the first time,I'm blown away!!! Especially by Bradford youth gang. It's catchy as fuck!!!! When was this originally recorded/released? 

1987, yeah bro I saw that Vinnie played drums on it when he was 16, Im a huge Sponge fan, bro I heard it and put 2 songs on repeat all morning, the 2 on here, they have a different sound I think, I assume their from Detroit, as thats were Sponge is from, but my step dad had the cassette, he has all the cassettes, lol, i thought the band name sounded kinda gay, so I was leery, but bro, Im so glad I listened to it, it's fucking killer.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Yeah, love the"Bad Applz" track. Just downloaded the EP from youtube. Thanks for the tip mate. No full release? 

"Bradford Youth" is okay. I've never heard of "Sponge" before. I'll have to check them out.

I bet they got their name from "Seinfeld".

BTW, your Step Dad sounds like a cool guy.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, love the"Bad Applz" track. Just downloaded the EP from youtube. Thanks for the tip mate. No full release? 

"Bradford Youth" is okay. I've never heard of "Sponge" before. I'll have to check them out.

I bet they got their name from "Seinfeld".

BTW, your Step Dad sounds like a cool guy.

Sponge may not be your cup of tea bro, they were pretty well known, songs Plowed and my fav Wax Ecstatic, but they are very post alt, maybe even post grunge, kind of like STP before they got all weird, I always said Vinnie to me sounds like what Neil Diamond would sound like if he sang Hard Rock, they are Howard Sterns favorite band, and my step dad is a chingone, he has been a session musician for 45 years, he is also the conductor of the Utah State Symphony, has a masters in Orchestra arrangement and some sort of weird theory, and he's a meteorologist on the local news, I am 2 and 2/3 of a quarter the man he is, he is an actual student of music, and he believes Orchestra and Jazz are the most sophisticated forms of music known, and he absolutely loves AOR, mainly Hi-Tech, he says it just sounds like radio pop, but those mid 80s bands play some actually difficult and progressive songs, there is sophistication in what Toto plays, he's who hipped me to all the hi-tech I listen to, Fee Waybill - Read My Lips, the tubes, Hunter, and his fav Lava, he's got shit you don't even believe they really made it's so ultra low budget, and Ive learned I'm a fool not to listen to everything on the same level, I would've missed out on some gems, anyways here's these. If they work.

This was an unreleased B-Side, that use to be impossible to find, just so happens to be my favorite Sponge song, I believe it was used in the background of whatever the movie is that they have patched together for the video, it was never released outside of the B-Side to Molly, obviously a video was never produced for a song that was never really released, but if u know the 1st album Rotting Pinata, this song has to be from those sessions, and cannot figure why It was never included, it's called Cowboy Eyes.

And here are a couple of their popular songs, they had a bunch, but I like these, after the 1st 3 albums, they really went in a more weird Alt-Pop-direction, the Cross brothers left after the 3rd album and showed clearly wear the unique Sponge sound came from, as the albums after the 3rd(which was intentionally a pop album called New Pop Sunday) all fucking blow,

This song is absolute mayhem on the system in my Jeep, I def crank this one up.

Is there some reason why none of these videos are playing??  is it just me? are you guys all watching these videos on this page or going to youtube? I cant get 1 of these videos to play

Great, fucking Firefox man, so guys, yeah I decided those 2 songs off that Bradford Youth album, stand so far and above anything else on that album, it's almost not even worth wasting your time, just listen to these 2, I dont get how those songs are so blatantly over produced, over written, almost designed to a certain sound, and just completely over the fucking top, I mean come on, those are the definition of "Gang Vocals" if I ever heard them, almost sounds like a legit choir, but those 2 songs just sound so well thought out, and crafted, the rest of the album sounds like whoever wrote those other 2 either cost to much for the whole thing, or they split after the 2, I mean no shit, the quality of the songs on the album, are just fucking garbage, they try to be like southern tinged kind of blues rock like IDK, maybe like Molly Hatchet type style, the 1st song sounds like a note for note rip off of Cat Scratch Fever, but then I think these guys fare from Detroit, maybe it's intentional? IDK, theres really no info anywhere about this band, outside of they changed members and became Spys4Darwin, which is interestingly enough, kind of a supergroup featuring Vinnie Dobrowski, Ozzy and Alice in Chains bassist Mike Inez, Alice In Chains founding member, Drummer Sean Kinney, and of course we all know Chris DeGarmo of that one band that I cant qujit place, but I do know theres 2 versions of that band, LOL, 

Heres a new song I found, well an old new song I shouldve heard before but for whatever reason, never did, I fucking really really like these next 2 songs, if your into Hi-Tech shit you probably enjoy them as well.

8 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Sorry but Sponge was horrible.

Did you not read what I prefaced it with?? certainly not a band I thought anybody on here would like, it was a sub add to the og point, Vinnie Sponges singer drummed for Bradford Youth Gang when he was just a youth, 16 yrs old, just nobody seemed to know who the fuck Sponge was, and I cant believe nobodys heard Plowed, that song was Huge, it was in the movie Empire records.