Forgotten Hard Rock Albums: Roxx Gang - "Things You've Never Done Before" (1988)

AlphaMale

Another in my series of forgotten albums. This one was a out of nowhere find for me. With Roxx in their name and some cool song titles, I was all in. And this record did not disappoint. Subsequent releases by this band never did a thing for me but for this one album, they were pretty fucking cool.

Some of my favorites from "Things You've Never Done Before":

I bought this on cassette back in the day on the back of an interview and a few video clips on a Hard & Heavy VHS tape.

I really liked it when I got it, but it was actually a few years later when I really fell in love with it. Yeah I loved the two singles (Scratch my back and No easy way out) but songs like Too cool for school and Race with the devil really started to stand out.

Like so many back then, they got a major label record deal but were just a bit too late as the market was flooded by bands of this genre by then. I think it took them something like 6 or 7 years to do a follow up on a smaller label, and they just never did anything remotely as good as the debut afterwards. I don't think their spin off band (Mojo Gurus) did them any favours either.

But man, what a debut.

• Like 1

I have some history with this one too. Probably the first "real" glam album I ever owned. I bought the cassette at North Rocks shopping centre in, it must have been around 1994 or so? Hard to say exactly, but around there. I remember a weird mixed reaction. I'd play the cassette in front of my brothers and kind of say how lame I thought it was, but obviously not enough to stop playing it, lol. I remember saying I thought the songs were way too simple and basically constructed and the guitarists were just shredding all over the joint without purpose. Like I say, though, this was way back when I was just starting to get into Bon Jovi (after checking out life outside of Bryan Adams). 

Anyway, like Howdy, took a few years to sink in (though the irony is, I never stopped playing - so something obviously clicked somewhere inside me) until at one point - again, I don't remember when - but I just acknowledged how awesome it is and it's one of my favourite glam albums now. Killer disc from start to end. 

• Like 1

Bought this on the back of hearing Scratch My Back on MTV Headbangers Ball...wasn't disappointed,it still gets regular spins from me time to time,as stated already their other output wasn't great...but this...this is a gem

• Like 1