If you hadn’t seen Weezer live, you might not be aware that Rivers Cuomo is a full-on ’80s shred god in Buddy Holly clothing, but that’s all about to change if the band’s new album is anything to go by.

Entitled Van Weezer, the new full-length is set to be stuffed to the gills with electric guitar and shredding, as the frontman revealed to Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s Beats 1 while unveiling new single The End Of The Game - which reportedly features 100 guitar overdubs.

“Last album we didn't have any guitars, this one is just all guitars. A hundred guitars,” says Cuomo.

“This is all from playing shows, and we just noticed over the last few years there'd be these moments during the show where I'd accidentally bust out a few harmonics or a whammy bar dive or a little tapping just because I can't control myself.

“And we noticed like unlike in decades past, now the audience would go ballistic whenever they'd hear even a hint of that style. So I started doing it more and more. And soon I'm just like shredding through the whole show and we're like, ‘Jeez, we should make an album like this."

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/weezers-new-album-is-called-van-weezer-and-its-all-guitars-and-shredding?fbclid=IwAR1vqhWwqHjCxfWr5B3mJEQqgR1Lrjsi6Dfnj7lYtfJUkhjkxb6oW9nNztU

Not sure whether it's a joke or not but I like this song. :)

Haven’t paid attention to Weezer in years....but that track had me hooked in under 3 seconds.

Edited by zacharyamelie
  • Like 1

Rivers is a talented guitarist but I've never been able to get into these guys and this track doesn't change that.  By the way what happened to all the shredding that was mentioned, was there even a guitar solo?

• 7 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, zacharyamelie said:

Haven’t paid attention to Weezer in years....but that track had me hooked in under 3 seconds.

me too!

Pretty decent. Name is familiar. Did they have some big annoying pop rock hit along the way? 

Buddy Holly. The video was set in Al's from Happy Days , HHHeeeeyyyy !!!!

• 8 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 1:46 AM, Geoff said:

Pretty decent. Name is familiar. Did they have some big annoying pop rock hit along the way? 

Beverly Hills maybe?

Their last few albums have been awful. No guitars. This is much better.

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Their last few albums have been awful. No guitars. This is much better.

I don't think I've ever listened to an album of theirs. I've not even listened to an album's worth of songs from them. 

29 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I don't think I've ever listened to an album of theirs. I've not even listened to an album's worth of songs from them. 

Do yourself a favor and check out "Pinkerton".

15 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Beverly Hills maybe?

The theme song to 90210?

lol, Google'd and it totally was them. Did not know that. 

The S/T from whenever that was 90 sumthing was played to death. As mentioned Buddy Holly and my fave of the lot The Sweater Song. 

Nerd Rock I think was a moniker at the time and it bred many spin offs, the best being the Nerfherders who are a super smart band and you all probably remember their "hit" Van Halen.

As for the new stuff its alright, I didn't mind the Wild Stallions cut as it was undoubtedly the best song from the most excellent movie.

I'm guessing that Covid made them hold back on this release until they get to tour.

I did like their CD of all remakes from 2019