Lizzy Borden - My Midnight Things

Crazysam

Lizzy Borden's new album "My Midnight Things" is scheduled to be released June 15th and is available for pre-order through Metal Blade http://www.metalblade.com/lizzyborden/.   A lyric video for the title tracks is out now.

cover.jpg

1. My Midnight Things
  2. Obsessed With You
  3. Long May They Haunt Us
  4. The Scar Across My Heart
  5. A Stranger To Love
  6. The Perfect Poison
  7. Run Away With Me
  8. Our Love Is God
  9. My Midnight Things (Reprise)
  10. We Belong to the Shadows

I stated elsewhere that I hope this is the throw away tune and the rest of the album is Give "em The Ax part II. I'd settle for Visual Lies part II.

I am a staunch LB supporter and fan so my optimism is optimistic yet after the initial track also apprehensive...

Visual Lies is my fave.  I like the new song.  It sounds like something from Master of Disguise era.  Fans who prefer the more metal sounding first couple albums may not enjoy it as much, but throw away is a bit harsh. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:58 PM, Dead Planet said:

Decent song....I had to check to see what releases I have by the band and Master of Disguise is the only one....time to remedy that...although I'm not sure anything other than Visual Lies is a necessity...

OMG. How to state the obvious without immediately offense... uhm...

Firstly there are MANY IE ALL early LB albums that are "essential" if not critical. Give "'Em The Ax", "Murderous Metal Roadshow", "Love You To Pieces" are the backbone to LB. Hell we can even slip in the Terror Rising EP with the reboots and the classic "duet" with Betsy Bitch "Don't Touch Me There".  As mentioned Menace to Society is also crucial LB. Master and Visual Lies are excellent but when compared to the early works are missing the rawness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 5:34 PM, AlphaMale said:

Master Of Disguise is still my favorite Lizzy disc. Visual Lies #2.

Flip flop for me, but both are great!

4 hours ago, Crazysam said:

New video...catchy tune, but moves the bar even further from the early material and that raw, heavier sound

Sigh.

This one is better than My Midnight Things, it is reminiscent of Me Against The World done by Wednesday 13 without the solo and half the oomph.

I have the whole album and will spin shortly and hope for something with more staying power.

• 1 month later...

For those that don't subscribe to paid streaming services, Metal Blade put the full album up on Youtube.  The layered vocals and melodies are there, but when I listened back to back with Master of Disguise it sounded a bit generic musically and lacks the attitude and power of the earlier material.  It isn't bad viewed in isolation but having been a longtime fan I was disappointed.

• 3 months later...

Color me simple, but I really like this album. For those who like Master of Disguise and Visual lies over the earlier material, this is right in there stylistically. Maybe not heavy enough for those who prefer the early material.

Much better than Deal with the Devil and Appointment with Death.