FM - Indiscreet 30

Stefan

FM-Indiscreet-2016.png

Press release:

BREAKING NEWS: FM and Frontiers Music Srl are pleased to announce that due to overwhelming demand, the “Indiscreet 30” album will see a formal commercial release on November 4th.

Thirty years after the release of their now classic debut album, FM decided to record a modern-day version of “Indiscreet”. FM were asked many times to consider re-recording the tracks on the album using today's modern technology and recording techniques to give the songs the "FM sound" of today.

Over the years, “Indiscreet” has deservedly won the reputation of being an iconic album for the band. FM always steered clear of the idea of re-recording it, but while in the studio recording the follow-up to their most recent release, HEROES & VILLAINS, FM decided to put down a backing track to the song "That Girl" to see how it would feel with the huge sounds they were getting at the time. It gave the song a new dynamic and power that was not possible to achieve with '80s recording technology. “We played it back the following morning and decided it would be great to hear all these classic songs with this new lease of life,” says bassist Merv Goldsworthy. “We are not trying to recreate the original, but this is our interpretation played by FM as we are today with the sound of FM 2016.”

In addition to the re-recording of the original album, INDISCREET 30 also features seven bonus tracks, including brand new song "Running On Empty" and a new recording of "Let Love Be The Leader".

INDISCREET 30 was produced by FM, recorded at Tremolo Studios and Coal House Studios, Staffordshire and mixed by Jeff Knowler (METROPOLIS, ROCKVILLE and HEROES & VILLAINS).

fmindiscreet30.jpg

FM%2B-%2BIndiscreet%2B30%2B-%2Bback.jpg

The band will be honoring pre-orders received to date for delivery on October 28th as originally announced. The album will also be on sale during the band’s tour dates commencing October 28th at Wakefield Warehouse 23. For the Warrington Parr Hall show on Saturday October 1st, pre-orders will be taken at the merchandise stand.

FM
Steve Overland - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
Merv Goldsworthy - bass, backing vocals
Pete Jupp - drums, backing vocals
Jem Davis – keyboards
Jim Kirkpatrick - lead guitar, backing vocals

The production on the original was obviously lacking, so if they stay true to the original songs and beef them up it could be really good.

I suspect though that it will be a disappointment because they will play it 'safe' and will lose the magic of that special album.

The production on the original was obviously lacking, so if they stay true to the original songs and beef them up it could be really good.

Haha, was it? I honestly never noticed.

I never really agree with this concept and can't think of one instance where it has been a success (the re-recording of an early album) so I don't imagine this will go well either, but the bonus tracks could be interesting. I will be interested to hear this, but I just don't think it's a good idea.

There is a basic fact, though. FM didn't suck back in 1986 when this was recorded, and they kinda do now.

I never really agree with this concept and can't think of one instance where it has been a success (the re-recording of an early album) so I don't imagine this will go well either, but the bonus tracks could be interesting. I will be interested to hear this, but I just don't think it's a good idea.

There is a basic fact, though. FM didn't suck back in 1986 when this was recorded, and they kinda do now.

In the song writing department they kinda do (suck that is) but not live.

When they play these anniversary gigs and roll out Indiscreet in its entirety, as a band they do sound rather excellent - still, even after 30 years.

If (and its a big if) they could transfer some of that live energy to the recordings it could be really great....but like you I doubt it.

Yeah, they even still sound good in terms of musicianship and production of recent albums, and I'm sure they are still good live, when they play their old songs from 'Indiscreet' and 'Tough It Out.'

Because, yeah, these days their main issue is just that so many of the new songs are just poor.

Yeah, they even still sound good in terms of musicianship and production of recent albums, and I'm sure they are still good live, when they play their old songs from 'Indiscreet' and 'Tough It Out.'

Because, yeah, these days their main issue is just that so many of the new songs are just poor.

Backed, I would not see them outside of an anniversary gig.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno... just dunno. There really is no need to tamper with the original. There really isn't. But they have, so what to make of it. Well, it's a great song so they could hardly completely fuck it up. The intro, verses and solo all do sound excellent... but the part where it falls well short of the original, most obviously, for me, is the chorus. It was never a gigantic chorus, but the original definitely makes more of the chorus than this version.

Yuk. The whole thing falls flat. Just listened to both back to back. Yeah the original is a thin production but the song bristled with energy and spark.

This is just flat and boring. And dare i say muddy??

I wont bother.

The only one I would say was Mood Swings 2 by Harem Scarem.

The only one I would say was Mood Swings 2 by Harem Scarem.

Really? You prefer that? The only thing I thought was cool about that was the full band version of 'Just like I planned' - very cool. Bonfire did it too with their 'Pearls' album, with a band version of 'Who's foolin' who.' Granted it's a different band, but a great song none the less.

I've never owned any FM albums, but have been aware of a few of their songs from back in the 80s.

That said, I really like these samples... the sound is much richer than the thinner production of the original, and there's plenty of extra tracks to make a good CD running time. So for me, this will be a definite purchase.

If this was new, and not a re-recording of an old album, you'd all love this!

I've never owned any FM albums, but have been aware of a few of their songs from back in the 80s.

That said, I really like these samples... the sound is much richer than the thinner production of the original, and there's plenty of extra tracks to make a good CD running time. So for me, this will be a definite purchase.

If this was new, and not a re-recording of an old album, you'd all love this!

But it isnt and sounds really flat compared to the amazing debut.

Compare 'that girl'.....there really is no comparison

But you've probably lived with the original album for years. From my point of view, I like the sound of the newer production, and I've not got any problem if the performance isn't an exact duplicate, because I don't have that over-familiarity with the music.

But you've probably lived with the original album for years. From my point of view, I like the sound of the newer production, and I've not got any problem if the performance isn't an exact duplicate, because I don't have that over-familiarity with the music.

Yeah fair enough but i just expect anyone to hear that the original version is light years better.

To each their own

I tried listening to these guys once - gave about 10 tracks a listen, but I just found it too lightweight for my taste. They didn't seem to have much diversity lyric-wise. Every track was basically in the same vein; same topic, and it just got monotonous listening to the same story track after track. I seem to recall even their attempts at a slightly heavier sound being way too ballady for my liking.

I tried listening to these guys once - gave about 10 tracks a listen, but I just found it too lightweight for my taste. They didn't seem to have much diversity lyric-wise. Every track was basically in the same vein; same topic, and it just got monotonous listening to the same story track after track. I seem to recall even their attempts at a slightly heavier sound being way too ballady for my liking.

They're certainly not Motorhead :)