Appetite or Dynamite? (Guns N' Roses vs. Kill For Thrills)

Appetite or Dynamite? (Guns N' Roses vs. Kill For Thrills)  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many years ago as a 15 year old kid (without internet back then) I inherited an old record player. Went to a secondhand record store nearby to look for records. I was heavily into GNR at the time and watching the Tokyo live DVDs regularly (at least parts of it almost daily). As I was browsing through the LPs I saw a familiar face: Gilby Clarke on the back cover of Kill For Thrill's ''Dynamite From Nightmareland''

Bought the album without listening to it before and went home. When I heard the opening track ''Motorcycle Cowboys'' I really liked it, luckily my purchase had been a good one. A few years down the road I was listening to the album again when I though: Hey wait a minute... I think I like this more that Appetite For Destruction by now. Told a friend and he said I was crazy, yes Dynamite is a good album bot not as good as Appetite he said (probably biased because GNR is a ''bigger'' name).

Anyway... what's your opinion?

Im fairly certain that this poll will be a landslide for Appetite and rightly so as it is a classic album.

However I just wanted to point out to anyone who hasnt heard that Dynamite is an excellent album well worth checking out - here's how I recently rated it -

1. Motorcycle Coyboys 8.75

2. Commercial Suicide 8.50

3. Brother Eyes 8.25

4. Paisley Killers 8.25

5. Something for the Suffering 10

6. Rockets 8.75

7. Wedding Flowers 7.50

8. Ghosts & Monsters 8.50

9. My Addiction 8.50

10. Misery Pills 8.75

11. Silver Bullets 7

Overall : 84.30

I know, I like Appetite myself (btw how did you rate it Glen?) I'm just saying apart from the ''classic'' status the album has there's some songs.... like I wouldn't give ''Out Ta Get Me'' , ''Think About You'' , ''Anything Goes'' or ''It's So Easy'' a score of 9 oder 10, no way. That's 4 songs already which, given it is a 12 track album, is quite a lot

To be honest, I haven't heard the Kill For Thrills album for many, many years. I owned the CD ages ago and sold it many years ago too. I doubt I'd even have kept the CDR/MP3s... surely I have the CDR somewhere? Anyway, I voted for 'Appetite' because it's a great album and I obviously didn't think much of the Kill For Thrills one at all.

I know, I like Appetite myself (btw how did you rate it Glen?) I'm just saying apart from the ''classic'' status the album has there's some songs.... like I wouldn't give ''Out Ta Get Me'' , ''Think About You'' , ''Anything Goes'' or ''It's So Easy'' a score of 9 oder 10, no way. That's 4 songs already which, given it is a 12 track album, is quite a lot

Anything Goes and Its So Easy would be 'weaker' moments.......but Out Ta Get Me and Think About You are both killer songs imo.

I think Kill For Thrills is around 70-75% and have sold it many years ago but I'm intrigued to check it again based on Glen's score. Appetite is at least 85% for many and definitely a 100% for me so I don't think it's a contest at all :)

I think Kill For Thrills is around 70-75% and have sold it many years ago but I'm intrigued to check it again based on Glen's score. Appetite is at least 85% for many and definitely a 100% for me so I don't think it's a contest at all :)

I gave it an 83%. A lot of really great tunes and no real clunkers... good solid 8/10 stuff across the board with the occasional one just above or just below. I agree with Glen that 'Out ta get me' and 'Think about you' are two highlights. Weakest tune would be 'Anything goes.'

I gave it an 83%. A lot of really great tunes and no real clunkers... good solid 8/10 stuff across the board with the occasional one just above or just below. I agree with Glen that 'Out ta get me' and 'Think about you' are two highlights. Weakest tune would be 'Anything goes.'

8/10 stuff lol??

my rating would have at least three or four 10/10s (Nightrain, Paradise City, Sweet Child, Out ta get me) and a decent spattering of 9.somethings......with one or 2 weaker moments....got to be 90% absolute minimum.

Never rated it tho.

8/10 stuff lol??

my rating would have at least three or four 10/10s (Nightrain, Paradise City, Sweet Child, Out ta get me) and a decent spattering of 9.somethings......with one or 2 weaker moments....got to be 90% absolute minimum.

Never rated it tho.

I thought the 8/10 stuff was aimed at Kill For Thrills? But yeah now I'm confused

8/10 stuff lol??

Never rated it tho.

I thought it'd be higher for me, but it just wasn't. I definitely don't hear a 10/10 on it... that's for sure. Only 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Welcome to the Jungle' scored over 9/10 for me. And 'Think about you' and Rocket Queen' were close.

8/10 stuff lol??

Never rated it tho.

I thought it'd be higher for me, but it just wasn't. I definitely don't hear a 10/10 on it... that's for sure. Only 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Welcome to the Jungle' scored over 9/10 for me. And 'Think about you' and Rocket Queen' were close.

and how the hell is 'Sweet Child' not a 10/10........the mind boggles.

It might be overplayed but its still one of THE sleaze anthems........and the most iconic intro / guitar solo of ALL TIME.

8/10 stuff lol??

Never rated it tho.

It might be overplayed but its still one of THE sleaze anthems........and the most iconic intro / guitar solo of ALL TIME.

Honest answer? The chorus, man. I agree the song is classic and I thought I did well to listen to it without factoring in all the outside elements, but at the end of the day... there's just not the chorus there that a 10/10 song from me requires.

8/10 stuff lol??

Never rated it tho.

Different opinions man. Often times I've heard people say Slash is ''overrated'' even though I like him. Nothing against Sweet Child but there's much cooler ways to start a song

there might be cooler ways, but not more iconic............within the first 3 notes 99% of our population would know that song.

You cannot say that of any other song in existence.

Chorus is simple for sure, but its classic sing-a-long......absolutely nothing wrong with that.

10/10 for me all day long................

I was 19 and a sophomore in college in San Diego the fall of 1987 when Appetite was first starting to really kill it.

Tower Records on Sports Arena Blvd. had a cardboard cut-out of the band on display in the store and "Welcome" was being played pretty much non-stop on every rock radio station in SoCal.

They absolutely took the world by storm.

'Sweet Child O Mine' is one of the most overplayed songs of all time and I never get tired of it, and so does other GNR songs like 'Welcome To The Jungle', 'Mr.Brownstone', 'November Rain' or 'You Could Be Mine', and that's how great they are, and by the way I just scored Kill For Thrills yesterday for 72.6%, I wonder how do you get that high rating Glen ? I feel it's kinda dry and somewhat boring and Gilby's vocal is a bit weak don't you think but there are few 7.5 to 8 tracks there so it helps a bit but overall I think the majority here will agree it's not even an 80% album :)

So I did a quick review of Appetite - here's how it panned out -

1. Welcom to the Jungle 9

2. Its so Easy 8

3. Nightrain 10

4. Out Ta Get Me 10

5. Mr Brownstone 8.5

6. Paradise City 10

7. My Michelle 9.5

8. Think About You 9.5

9. Sweet Child Of Mine 10

10. Youre Crazy 9.50

11. Anything Goes 8.5

12. Rocket Queen 10

Overall : 93.75%

Genre defining sleazy hard rock album

8/10 stuff lol??

Never rated it tho.

Different opinions man. Often times I've heard people say Slash is ''overrated'' even though I like him. Nothing against Sweet Child but there's much cooler ways to start a song

Anyone who calls him overrated has not heard the last two Slash albums...

8/10 stuff lol??

Never rated it tho.

Anyone who calls him overrated has not heard the last two Slash albums...

They were good, especially Apocalyptic Love. Saw them twice on that tour they kicked ass I remember at one show they played a 20 minute version of Rocket Queen with an extended jam in the middle, blew me away

'Appetite ...', no question ... Kill For Thrills were okay, but I don't listent to their stuff anywhere near as often as I do Guns' debut ...